hashtagme

Expedite naturalization b/c military spouse overseas - questions

136 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, R&OC said:

Are there any additional documents or requirements to the usual process? My husband mentioned DD Form 1278? Did you get that signed and added to it? And when did you file the paperwork? 

Oh and one final question: Did you apply for the BBG (Beibehaltung der deutschen Staatsbürgerschaft)?

We were told DD1278 was not necessary since we are doing the expedite naturalization under paragraph 319b. But to be honest, overall there wasn’t much support to what to send and what is needed, we were pretty much relying on the internet and afterall this forum. I hope that it was all complete- we will find out...

I did the fingerprint card on a military base in Germany and we added the form (can’t remember the number as of now) for creditcard payments so we didn’t have to send a money Order. We filed for everything beginning of November, FedEx though messed up our overnight delivery so it was quite a while til it finally got to Chicago. We are now still waiting on a confirmation letter that everything was received .. we have been told that that could take a little longer since the mailing address is APO overseas.

I did not file for BBG yet- I’ve talked to the office here and they said it will take about 6 weeks to have them answer and the USCIS interview appointment (if granted) would be much later so there will be time to file for it. We want to wait and see what USCIS says first. They also said the chances to get BBG approved would be really small - so I will see how that will turn out. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
2 hours ago, hashtagme said:

We were told DD1278 was not necessary since we are doing the expedite naturalization under paragraph 319b. But to be honest, overall there wasn’t much support to what to send and what is needed, we were pretty much relying on the internet and afterall this forum. I hope that it was all complete- we will find out...

I did the fingerprint card on a military base in Germany and we added the form (can’t remember the number as of now) for creditcard payments so we didn’t have to send a money Order. We filed for everything beginning of November, FedEx though messed up our overnight delivery so it was quite a while til it finally got to Chicago. We are now still waiting on a confirmation letter that everything was received .. we have been told that that could take a little longer since the mailing address is APO overseas.

I did not file for BBG yet- I’ve talked to the office here and they said it will take about 6 weeks to have them answer and the USCIS interview appointment (if granted) would be much later so there will be time to file for it. We want to wait and see what USCIS says first. They also said the chances to get BBG approved would be really small - so I will see how that will turn out. 

I think you may want to consider turning your BBG in now. I was told that the current processing time is 9 months. And I do believe you have good chances of getting it. It would be a shame if you had to give it up. Check out the Yahoo Group "Zwei Pässe". They have tons of advice and successful applications. Just fill one out and gather the necessary evidence.

On 10/3/2018 at 8:39 PM, Roel said:

I'd assume that most military spouses - who QUALIFY of course - will get the expedite approved.  It's different than someone expediting ex. spouse visa based on financial reasons or whatever - I'd imagine those cases are looked more as case-by-case decision. 

But in the end - it's impossible for anyone to say what USCIS base their decisions on. Definitely doesn't depend on the husband's community - it's all about spouse's eligibility.

Though I imagine most just wait until and apply under 3 year rule.

there is no such a thing as case by case thing under 319b for sure. There is the clear law about this process and when the requirements for the expedited naturalization met you just file the application, go through the process and get naturalized. Its expedited and not expedite. Quite different. 3 year rule if you want to have your interview overseas (only for military spouses) Other eligible applicants will have to fly to the US for the naturalization interview but they can still file while they  station overseas as well as those who  are still  in the US but soon departing for an overseas assignment. If the military spouses don’t want to wait 3 years but want to get naturalized straight away, they can also  file under 319b, BUT they will need to fly for the interview to the US. 

Edited by Lenchick

11 hours ago, R&OC said:

Are there any additional documents or requirements to the usual process? My husband mentioned DD Form 1278? Did you get that signed and added to it? And when did you file the paperwork? 

Oh and one final question: Did you apply for the BBG (Beibehaltung der deutschen Staatsbürgerschaft)?

Why do you need it? 319b doesn’t have anything to do with Germans 

Just now, hashtagme said:

Because I am german. And if I take another citizenship I will lose my German one, unless I filed for the BBG before naturalization to keep it.

Oh okay! Did you find the list of what to file with your application? 

Just now, hashtagme said:

Yes, well sorta. We sent everything off already beginning of November and are currently waiting for a response. *fingers crossed*

It take about a month to get the answer. Don’t worry. It should be an easy process. It took me 6 months overall from the start until the oath. 

12 hours ago, hashtagme said:

You are also required to file a sworn statement that you could do at the notary on the base that states that you intend to return with your husband and take the residence in the US when his overseas tour will end. Have you also included that? 

Also, a proof that he has a year on his assignment from the moment you file. 

A copy of your passport stamp proving that you are a US resident without actually having a plastic green card is OK too! 

Edited by Lenchick

9 minutes ago, Lenchick said:

You are also required to file a sworn statement that you could do at the notary on the base that states that you intend to return with your husband and take the residence in the US when his overseas tour will end. Have you also included that? 

Also, a proof that he has a year on his assignment from the moment you file. 

A copy of your passport stamp proving that you are a US resident without actually having a plastic green card is OK too! 

I have the orders and proof that he’s here more than 1 year also.. I do not have included the sworn statement though.. but we have my command sponsorship paperwork, which basically shows that I go where he goes.. I hope that’s enough.. I guess if they need any other paperwork they will have to tell us and we will get it ASAP. 

11 minutes ago, hashtagme said:

I have the orders and proof that he’s here more than 1 year also.. I do not have included the sworn statement though.. but we have my command sponsorship paperwork, which basically shows that I go where he goes.. I hope that’s enough.. I guess if they need any other paperwork they will have to tell us and we will get it ASAP. 

Well, they need your statement, not his commands because potentially you can divorce after naturalization (I’m not saying that you will) and never return to the US but this naturalization requirement is that you must return. Maybe they will ask you to do it on your interview? But in case they don’t request it now, id recommend to have it with your for the interview, in case. Here is the link https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartG-Chapter4.html

if you scroll it down you will read this:

Evidence of Applicant’s Intent to Reside Abroad with Citizen Spouse and Return to the United States Upon Termination of Qualifying Employment

Along with his or her naturalization application, an applicant for naturalization under INA 319(b) must submit a statement describing his or her intent to reside abroad with the citizen spouse and his or her intent to take up residence within the United States immediately upon the termination of such employment abroad of the citizen spouse. [26]

25 minutes ago, Lenchick said:

Well, they need your statement, not his commands because potentially you can divorce after naturalization (I’m not saying that you will) and never return to the US but this naturalization requirement is that you must return. Maybe they will ask you to do it on your interview? But in case they don’t request it now, id recommend to have it with your for the interview, in case. Here is the link https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartG-Chapter4.html

if you scroll it down you will read this:

Evidence of Applicant’s Intent to Reside Abroad with Citizen Spouse and Return to the United States Upon Termination of Qualifying Employment

Along with his or her naturalization application, an applicant for naturalization under INA 319(b) must submit a statement describing his or her intent to reside abroad with the citizen spouse and his or her intent to take up residence within the United States immediately upon the termination of such employment abroad of the citizen spouse. [26]

Ok thank you. I didn’t have the information before. I will get it ready in case they let me submit that before or at the interview. Thank you! That’s very helpful

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
On 11/29/2018 at 10:11 AM, hashtagme said:

Ok thank you. I didn’t have the information before. I will get it ready in case they let me submit that before or at the interview. Thank you! That’s very helpful

Hey! I filed also under 319b being here in Germany. They received my docs on Oct 23, and yesterday I got status changed, that they review my biometrics. Oh, by the way I didnt sent a statement, but thankfully to Lenchick I'll deffinetely prepare it.

Did you choose Fairfax VA office for interview? I chose Seattle, bc I used to live there and I'd rather spend time there, but now I think it'll slow down my process.

Edited by Aqualika

49 minutes ago, Aqualika said:

Hey! I filed also under 319b being here in Germany. They received my docs on Oct 23, and yesterday I got status changed, that they review my biometrics. Oh, by the way I didnt sent a statement, but thankfully to Lenchick I'll deffinetely prepare it.

Did you choose Fairfax VA office for interview? I chose Seattle, bc I used to live there and I'd rather spend time there, but now I think it'll slow down my process.

Yes, I chose Fairfax following the recommendations from the old posts here. They really specialize very well on 319b cases and have oath ceremonies the same day.  They also personally contact to ask to choose the interview date. It was really convenient!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.