baggles

SSN Card denied

25 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Ben&Zian said:

Wouldn't try to stress "they did it purposely" or"ignored your case". Stuff happens, paperwork slips through the cracks. As perhaps annoying at it is, people need to remember others make mistakes, and this type of situation is not live or die. 

I totally agree. But, it sure feels like it when it happens to you. 

Edited by Diane and Chris

1 hour ago, Loren Y said:

Thanks for the tip. I will be in the same boat soon, I am going to wait about 2 weeks after POE to make sure my fiancee is in the SAVE system, and I plan to verify this when we apply for her card, and then since I pass the office every day on my way home I will stop in there everyday starting about 3 weeks after we apply, and talk to someone every day asking about the status of the card. They will be so tired of me coming into the office that they will print one out right there just to make me not come back the next day. It sucks I have to do this, but it is a division of the US government, welcome to America.

Do not wait two weeks... If I it's not matching their database after a few days, you'll have more time to work on the solution. Since it's electronic, there's no need to wait... It matches or it doesn't.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
1 hour ago, stacyt said:

We called Chase last week to ask if I can have a joint acc with my husband without SNN, they said yes. Also a lot of states will waive the SNN requirement for driver's license due to your status (waiting for AOS)

You're in Cali too, so: 

Non-Citizens and California Driver's Licenses

You will follow the same new California driver's license application process as described above, paying close attention to:

• Your Social Security number*. The DMV might waive this if BOTH of the following apply to you:
    • You are not authorized to work in the country or are otherwise ineligible.
    • You can provide an acceptable birth date/legal presence (BD/LP) document.

Oh, thank you! I actually didn't see that. If I can do it, then that's great! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

I totally agree. But, it sure feels like it when it happens to you. 

It does. Especially cause it seems something that happens quite regularly. So, it makes me wonder if the general rule or just bad luck. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Do not wait two weeks... If I it's not matching their database after a few days, you'll have more time to work on the solution. Since it's electronic, there's no need to wait... It matches or it doesn't.

I know the I94 is instantly processed and available before you even leave the airport, but I was under the impression that it took a minimum of a week for the POE information to get into the social security system. I saw many posts on this, and I think it even says it in the guides to wait until the SS office gets your information electronically or they have to do manual verification , and that's what does you in. I read people have left the SS office if they can't be verified electronically, and return a few days later. Anyone have any input on this.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
1 hour ago, stacyt said:

Also a lot of states will waive the SNN requirement for driver's license due to your status (waiting for AOS)

CA DMV will waive the SSN requirement, but OP does not have an I-94 (or an EAD) with at least 60 days validity which is a requirement for a regular (non-AB 60) license. @baggles: I personally don't recommend it, but some users have said to apply for an AB 60 license instead:

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
11 hours ago, geowrian said:

One must currently qualify for an SSN in order for them to issue one by law.

Technically, @baggles could apply for a "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT" SSN if she qualifies: https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211600

But the qualifying programs can potentially be considered means-tested; so it's risky.

Edited by TM92

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: Other Timeline

You were given advice and continues to complain as though the world is in crisis because of this inconvenience to you. You really need to relax and accept that things are not going to always go as you want - especially when you are dealing with US government bureaucracy.

Reminder: Telling a member not to post is a violation of the TOS.

5 hours ago, Loren Y said:

I know the I94 is instantly processed and available before you even leave the airport, but I was under the impression that it took a minimum of a week for the POE information to get into the social security system. I saw many posts on this, and I think it even says it in the guides to wait until the SS office gets your information electronically or they have to do manual verification , and that's what does you in. I read people have left the SS office if they can't be verified electronically, and return a few days later. Anyone have any input on this.

True, but the system has been updated considerably. Usually it's in SAVE within hours of entry anymore...although personally I would still wait a few days at a minimum just in case.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
5 hours ago, geowrian said:

True, but the system has been updated considerably. Usually it's in SAVE within hours of entry anymore...although personally I would still wait a few days at a minimum just in case.

Excellent, Government system and updated considerably I thought I would never see in the same sentence....LOL.... But good to know. Since I am planning on coming thru POE the day before Thanksgiving I figured best to give it a week with the holidays and stuff, but I guess if it is all electronic, It shouldn't matter, but finding an open Social Security office near a major holiday would not be possible anyway.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.