lei1111

Help bringing my resident husbands children to live in the USA

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
9 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Awkward but not insurmountable. Many children immigrate part way through high school and manage to graduate just fine.

This has been discussed more times than I care to remember, impossible absolutely, not, significant factor to consider yes.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Timeline
47 minutes ago, lei1111 said:

What do you mean? 

Look at your state's graduation requirements. A high school diploma is a significant milestone. Some states have different levels that may impact higher ed opportunities. IMO, it is easier for an international student to gain entry to a university than a US grad - or non grad .  A discussion with your local school district should be considered.

My DGD may be moving due to her father's job while in high school.  This is a major concern; mom and kids would remain in the old location if DGD is in or will be soon entering grade 12.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
3 minutes ago, CEE53147 said:

Look at your state's graduation requirements. A high school diploma is a significant milestone. Some states have different levels that may impact higher ed opportunities. IMO, it is easier for an international student to gain entry to a university than a US grad - or non grad .  A discussion with your local school district should be considered.

My DGD may be moving due to her father's job while in high school.  This is a major concern; mom and kids would remain in the old location if DGD is in or will be soon entering grade 12.

I'm sorry, I am unfamiliar with all the abbreviations yet. What is DGD?

She is graduating high school May 2019. We will wait until then.They graduate 2 years earlier there than our do. Does that make a difference?

lei

Filed: Other Timeline

DGD = Darling granddaughter

DD= Darling daughter

I do not know enough about the English education system to comment to know if graduation there gives equivalent academic competencies as here.  I assume in 2019 she will be 16. I have serious reservations about putting a 16 year old in a university setting living in a dom, etc.

Edited by CEE53147

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
5 minutes ago, CEE53147 said:

DGD = Darling granddaughter

DD= Darling daughter

I do not know enough about the English education system to comment to know if graduation there gives equivalent academic competencies as here.  I assume in 2019 she will be 16. I have serious reservations about putting a 16 year old in a university setting living in a dom, etc.

Basically 2 stages, Uni would be 2 years later after A levels. So 18 but then usually 3 years not 4.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

16 minutes ago, lei1111 said:

I'm sorry, I am unfamiliar with all the abbreviations yet. What is DGD?

She is graduating high school May 2019. We will wait until then.They graduate 2 years earlier there than our do. Does that make a difference?

If it’s that soon definitely wait. If by “graduate” you mean o-levels, that’s not considered equivalent to US high school diploma.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
20 hours ago, lei1111 said:

Hello, My husband is a US resident of 6 years. His 15 year old daughter would like to reside with us in the US permanently. Can I get some guidance on how to best accomplish this? Should he go the naturalized citizen route? We would like for her to be able to come ASAP. I so appreciate any advice. 

at this moment, your husband can apply the F2A for his daughter. And after he becomes a citizen, the case could be turned to CR2.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
5 minutes ago, clarkyzp33 said:

at this moment, your husband can apply the F2A for his daughter. And after he becomes a citizen, the case could be turned to CR2.

I am terribly new and still learning all the terms. Sorry for my ignorance. 

Is F2A different from I130 and if so, which one is preferable? There are SO many options. 

lei

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
9 minutes ago, lei1111 said:

I am terribly new and still learning all the terms. Sorry for my ignorance. 

Is F2A different from I130 and if so, which one is preferable? There are SO many options. 

Yes. I130 apply the kid from Green card holder.

it's not an immediate process, filing now it's unlikely it would be complete before she graduates and even if it was, you could delay using the visa before graduation May is 8 months out, that would be out of the current processing times, better to file now rather than wait further delaying on the back end.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.