Gj & Cathy

Sydney CR1 Interview

27 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Keeley said:

So, I am actually quite lucky as I am here with my husband in Australia. We’ve been living here together for the last few years, so we have not had to endure the separation that so many people going through this process have! Our reason for wanting to get back ASAP is I’m expecting a baby and we really want to be back in the US before she gets here in January. I hope the NVC and interview process is very speedy for you!

I did call the NVC every day or two while waiting for the case number and once after submitting our documents to make sure we hadn’t missed anything. I’m not convinced calling did any good, though, other than making me feel like I was doing something and not just waiting! 

SUPER CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

I hope you, hubby, and baby all the best for the future :)

Thanks too for your input.  Much appreciated.

Just now, Gj & Cathy said:

SUPER CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

I hope you, hubby, and baby all the best for the future :)

Thanks too for your input.  Much appreciated.

Thank you! Wishing you the best as well! And any time! So many people have helped me out here, it’s good to be able to pay it forward!

Beneficiary Country: UK / Consulate: Sydney, Australia / Nebraska Service Center

27-Nov-2017 - Sent I-130 package to Chicago Lockbox

30-Nov-2017 (+3 days, 3 days) - NOA1, petition sent to Nebraska Service Center

28-Jun-2018 (+210 days, 213 days) - NOA2, petition approved

16-Jul-2018 (+18 days, 231 days) - Petition sent to Department of State

23-Jul-2018 (+7 days, 238 days) - Petition received by NVC (confirmed via phone on 24 July)
21-Aug-2018 (+29 days, 267 days) - Welcome Letter received by email, paid AOS and IV fee

23-Aug-2018 (+2 days, 269 days) - IV Application (Form DS-260), Civil Documents, Affidavit of Support, and Financial Documents all submitted to NVC on CEAC

7-Sep-2018 (+15 days, 284 days) - NVC Case Complete

18-9-2018 (+11 days, 295 days) - Interview scheduled, received notification from NVC via email - interview set for 16 October

16-10-2018 (+28 days, 323 days) - Interview - visa approved!

18-10-2018 (+2 days, 325 days) - Passport and visa received by AusPost Express Platinum

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
12 hours ago, Keeley said:

It's tough to say how busy the Sydney consulate is based on VisaJourney alone because I'm sure for every one of us posting here, there are more people applying for IR-1/CR-1 visas who don't use the forum. That said, it doesn't seem like it's TOO busy as most people seem to have their interview about one month after case complete. If we are to rely on VisaJourney timelines, it appears that the consulate schedules IR-1/CR-1 visa interviews for one Tuesday in a month and K-1 visas on another Tuesday. I don't know if they do more than one per month, but I have only seen one per each visa type based on the Aussie timelines here.

I was under the same assumption that they only do once a month. I got my interview date for next Tuesday, one weeks notice. Had to request it to be moved as i won’t be available to attend so hopefully I can get another interview ASAP. 

But they definitey do interviews more than once a month. 

7 minutes ago, angusdonald13 said:

I was under the same assumption that they only do once a month. I got my interview date for next Tuesday, one weeks notice. Had to request it to be moved as i won’t be available to attend so hopefully I can get another interview ASAP. 

I really hope I get 1 week's notice only 😅

12/26/17 - NOA1

06/27/18 - NOA2 (+183 days)

07/11/18 - Case sent to NVC (+14 days)

07/18/18 - NVC Received (+7 days)

08/10/18 - NVC Case Number (+23 days)

09/06/18 - All Docs Submitted (+27 days)

09/19/18 - Case Complete at NVC (+13 days)

10/18/18 -  Interview appointment letter received (+29 days)

11/20/18 - Interview Date (+33 days) - APPROVED!

11/26/18 - Visa Received 

Timeline
1 minute ago, redvines said:

I really hope I get 1 week's notice only 😅

Fingers crossed! I’m all ready to go for the interview, I just won’t be in the country on that date (even though I mentioned this in the packet 3 email 🤦‍♂️

1 minute ago, angusdonald13 said:

Fingers crossed! I’m all ready to go for the interview, I just won’t be in the country on that date (even though I mentioned this in the packet 3 email 🤦‍♂️

Maybe they misread it as you requesting the date 😅

Hopefully you get a better date to suit you soon! 

12/26/17 - NOA1

06/27/18 - NOA2 (+183 days)

07/11/18 - Case sent to NVC (+14 days)

07/18/18 - NVC Received (+7 days)

08/10/18 - NVC Case Number (+23 days)

09/06/18 - All Docs Submitted (+27 days)

09/19/18 - Case Complete at NVC (+13 days)

10/18/18 -  Interview appointment letter received (+29 days)

11/20/18 - Interview Date (+33 days) - APPROVED!

11/26/18 - Visa Received 

56 minutes ago, angusdonald13 said:

One week's notice??? Geeez...how did they tell you? Via email?  This is at the Sydney Consulate?

13 hours ago, Keeley said:

You can see my full details in my timeline and in my signature, but in summary, NOA2 was 28 June and NVC received my case on 23 July (25 days later). It was another 29 days to receiving our case number (on 21 August) and we paid fees immediately and had submitted all of our documents by 23 August. Case complete on 7 September, notification of interview date received on 18 September for one month out. The interview will be on 16 October. So, all up, the time between NOA2 and interview date will be 110 days. We were lucky and didn't experience any delays through the process with regard to our documentation. 

It's tough to say how busy the Sydney consulate is based on VisaJourney alone because I'm sure for every one of us posting here, there are more people applying for IR-1/CR-1 visas who don't use the forum. That said, it doesn't seem like it's TOO busy as most people seem to have their interview about one month after case complete. If we are to rely on VisaJourney timelines, it appears that the consulate schedules IR-1/CR-1 visa interviews for one Tuesday in a month and K-1 visas on another Tuesday. I don't know if they do more than one per month, but I have only seen one per each visa type based on the Aussie timelines here.

Since NVC has now received your case, it seems like it's possible you could end up with a December interview still and make it to the US for Christmas, assuming everything goes well! I would just use this waiting time to triple check all your documents to make sure you are ready to upload everything to CEAC as soon as you are able! You can also read through a sample DS-260 to make sure you have all of the information you need to complete the IV application. I would also recommend booking your medical as soon as you get your case complete. We did not have to wait until we had an interview date to book it.

Good luck! You're nearly there!

Sorry Keeley... Just one last thing... What do you need to take to your husband's interview please?

AOS? Original forms???

Thanks!

Timeline
34 minutes ago, Gj & Cathy said:

One week's notice??? Geeez...how did they tell you? Via email?  This is at the Sydney Consulate?

Yep they emailed me today! I have all the documents ready to go so the notice wouldn’t be an issue for me. But it does seem to be pretty short notice !

10 hours ago, angusdonald13 said:

Congrats on your interview date! So, it looks like you're applying for K-1 visa? From what I've seen, they *typically* seem to book one Tuesday per month for K-1s and a different Tuesday per month for IR-1/CR-1s, but I have seen the odd one that is on a random date, so who knows! I'm sure it depends on demand. Good luck at the interview!

Beneficiary Country: UK / Consulate: Sydney, Australia / Nebraska Service Center

23-Jul-2018 (+7 days, 238 days) - Petition received by NVC (confirmed via phone on 24 July)
21-Aug-2018 (+29 days, 267 days) - Welcome Letter received by email, paid AOS and IV fee

23-Aug-2018 (+2 days, 269 days) - IV Application (Form DS-260), Civil Documents, Affidavit of Support, and Financial Documents all submitted to NVC on CEAC

18-9-2018 (+11 days, 295 days) - Interview scheduled, received notification from NVC via email - interview set for 16 October

18-10-2018 (+2 days, 325 days) - Passport and visa received by AusPost Express Platinum

9 hours ago, Gj & Cathy said:

Sorry Keeley... Just one last thing... What do you need to take to your husband's interview please?

AOS? Original forms???

Thanks!

When you get your confirmation email from the Sydney Consulate after your interview is scheduled, they will send you a Document Cover Sheet that lists everything you need to bring. I have included a screenshot of the one they sent me. I assume this is the same for all IR-1/CR-1 visas, but I would just double-check the one they send you once you receive it!

Essentially, we are taking originals and copies of everything we submitted on CEAC. Just as a precaution, I will also take a copy of the I-130 package and supporting documents as well as some recent photos. I don't think those last two items are strictly necessary, but I'm paranoid and don't want to risk falling into the Administrative Processing black hole! 

I'm not sure if you've already found this website, but here's some additional info on the Sydney consulate: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/SYD_Sydney.html

Please note that they specifically stated on my cover sheet and in the email they sent that IR-1/CR-1 visa applicants do NOT need to bring a 3kg Express Post envelope, but rather that a 500g A4 size one is acceptable. I believe this is because they are no longer posting you the sealed packet after the visa is approved. Everything is being processed electronically now, so all they need to post is the applicant's passport.

I think that's everything...I'll let you know if I think of anything else! And I'll be sure to share my review of my experience after the 16th when we are (hopefully) celebrating! :) 

image.thumb.png.a86f30bac316bee164857acd10c01c47.png

On 10/3/2018 at 8:45 AM, Keeley said:

When you get your confirmation email from the Sydney Consulate after your interview is scheduled, they will send you a Document Cover Sheet that lists everything you need to bring. I have included a screenshot of the one they sent me. I assume this is the same for all IR-1/CR-1 visas, but I would just double-check the one they send you once you receive it!

Essentially, we are taking originals and copies of everything we submitted on CEAC. Just as a precaution, I will also take a copy of the I-130 package and supporting documents as well as some recent photos. I don't think those last two items are strictly necessary, but I'm paranoid and don't want to risk falling into the Administrative Processing black hole! 

I'm not sure if you've already found this website, but here's some additional info on the Sydney consulate: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/SYD_Sydney.html

Please note that they specifically stated on my cover sheet and in the email they sent that IR-1/CR-1 visa applicants do NOT need to bring a 3kg Express Post envelope, but rather that a 500g A4 size one is acceptable. I believe this is because they are no longer posting you the sealed packet after the visa is approved. Everything is being processed electronically now, so all they need to post is the applicant's passport.

I think that's everything...I'll let you know if I think of anything else! And I'll be sure to share my review of my experience after the 16th when we are (hopefully) celebrating! :) 

image.thumb.png.a86f30bac316bee164857acd10c01c47.png

You're the BEST Keeley!!!! Sorry just got this today...I have been working flat out too, and I had my Flu and MMR shots today.  I will get my Dip, Tetanus, pertrusis, and Polio, and Hep B in 3 weeks.  The needles hurt so much.  I will be on the lookout for your Consulate Experience for sure :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.