camlarcam

Tinder K1 Interview

85 posts in this topic

My Fiancee and I met on tinder. We didn't know anything about IMBs so we did not say anything about it on the I-129f. We know she is probably going to be asked how we meet at the interview in a few days, and we just realized that apparently this is a real issue with immigration. Will the interviewer see it as a problem that we meet on tinder and did not mention it in the 129f? The form does not ask how we meet, so we did not say anything about it and we didn't even know what IMBs are. Any help would be much appreciated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

i129f does ask how you met. Do you not remember what you put down? If you didn’t mention the truth, you’re gonna be in a lot of trouble because of misinterpretation issues. You should have sent a copy of the terms of service from that website along with your application. USCIS demands it. They will either send you an RFE or you’ll be denied (I only say this because of the new rules about RFEs, but if your application is complete they may just RFE you ) in about 7-9 months time. Get the docs ready for when that time comes. 

7 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

i129f does ask how you met. Do you not remember what you put down? If you didn’t mention the truth, you’re gonna be in a lot of trouble because of misinterpretation issues. You should have sent a copy of the terms of service from that website along with your application. USCIS demands it. They will either send you an RFE or you’ll be denied (I only say this because of the new rules about RFEs, but if your application is complete they may just RFE you ) in about 7-9 months time. Get the docs ready for when that time comes. 

I checked my 129f and I did not see where I put anything down. What section would that be in? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We met thru a common friend. What we did was we attached 1 piece of paper, "Declaration of How We Meet". We stated how we know each other and how everything went by after that. It was attached before the letter of intent to marry under the evidences part in the I129f.

I hope it helps.. 

1 minute ago, Filipina_2018 said:

We met thru a common friend. What we did was we attached 1 piece of paper, "Declaration of How We Meet". We stated how we know each other and how everything went by after that. It was attached before the letter of intent to marry under the evidences part in the I129f.

I hope it helps.. 

We did not do this and our petition was accepted. I am freaking out now because we did not know about this at all

Timeline
4 minutes ago, camlarcam said:

I checked my 129f and I did not see where I put anything down. What section would that be in? 

Towards the end. It says “describe the circumstances under which you met”.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, camlarcam said:

We did not do this and our petition was accepted. I am freaking out now because we did not know about this at all

It says so on the forms and the instructions. It is also very clear on USCIS website that you must submit terms of service from website if you met online.

Tinder is not an IMB. But still, you should share what you wrote on the form where it asks to describe how you met. I thought in the case a couple meets online or through an app, they ask for proof that the website/app is not an IMB (usually one can just print out the Terms of Service).

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Tinder is not an International Marriage Broker.  So be honest at the interview.   Tinder is well known and clearly doesn't fall afoul of IMB.  However, an omission of that information on the I-129F may complicate things depending on the circumstances, the other proof of relationship you have and what country we are talking about..  In any case, at the interview the truth is the answer and there is nothing further you can do regarding the I129F at this point other than pray and perhaps bring a printed terms of service from tinder to the interview. 

1 minute ago, mushroomspore said:

Tinder is not an IMB. But still, you should share what you wrote on the form where it asks to describe how you met. I thought in the case a couple meets online or through an app, they ask for proof that the website/app is not an IMB (usually one can just print out the Terms of Service).

We did not send the USCIS any information about how we meet. We only sent chat records and statements of intent to marry and it was approved. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, camlarcam said:

We did not send the USCIS any information about how we meet. We only sent chat records and statements of intent to marry and it was approved. 

You didn't send proof of having met in person?????   You didn't keep a copy of everything you sent?  What country?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We met on Facebook thru our common friend. Does this IMB terms and condition apply to us? 

We submitted "Evidence of How We Met" and "Declaration of How We Meet Letter" which stated that we met thru a common friend.

8 minutes ago, camlarcam said:

You'll just have to wait and see what happens then. The form does clearly ask to describe the circumstances of your meeting. Luckily Tinder is not an IMB (I know some people like yourself do find real lasting relationships on there but let's not pretend that's what most people use it for). 

Edited by mushroomspore
Misunderstood something

2 minutes ago, JE57 said:

You didn't send proof of having met in person?????   You didn't keep a copy of everything you sent?  What country?

We kept a copy of everything we sent and that is not in there. we just sent a few pictures of us together, family pictures, chat logs and plane tickets. Nothing about how we meet. We just assumed that would come up at the interview. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.