LDR27

VISA Rejected 214(b) because I have US boyfriend

44 posts in this topic

Dear Friends,

Can anyone help me with my situation.

I'm Chinese-Indonesian girl, almost 29yo. I just got my us visa rejected 214(b) : Failure to establish ties, this morning.

I'm applying B2 visa for tourist, since me n my boyfriend haven't engaged yet.

I'm currently having my own business which i tag along my dad n my sibling in it, that makes me own a family business.

(But for info, this business is my baby since it's all my sweat, tears, n blood {no its not blood, just time}).

I've bring along all the documents needed to show my assets in Indonesia, but the interviewee wont even look at it,

since the documents still on my side, and i've asked to show it to him but he refused.

I've told everything honestly,I even said that since my boyfriend already came to Indonesia for 2 weeks last July,

my Dad only permit me to go to US for only 2 weeks too, just to be fair.

My boyfriend is ABC, he even already sent me invitation letter, which the interviewee didn't see either even i'm already asking to show him.

When the interviewee gave me the red paper, i know for sure i got rejected.

And i asked him immediately before he gave me the paper, why i got rejected.

(Maybe i'm kinda a bit mad when i asked it, since his face was shocked. it's bcoz i chose to be honest, eventhough my friends told me to lie)

The interviewee said it's because:

1. i have a boyfriend in US

2. my business is family business, which makes it looks like i can leave the business easily.

i answer him that i'm the president director of this company, which makes it harder for me to leave it.

and I go to US, so i can meet my boyfriend's family, and bring along his parents to meet my parents in Indonesia.

once again i asked him to see my legal documents, but he said the decision can't be changed.

Please help me figure out another way to reapply the US Visa.

Since i really need to meet my boyfriend's family before we go to more serious relationship.

Thank you for your help, it means a lot for both of us.

God bless

Edited by LDR27
havent finished yet, dont know what i've press to make it submitted before finished

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

You have to show sufficient evidence that you have ties to your country and will not be a risk of overstaying your visa. It sounds like the interviewee gave you as much information about the rejection that they can - having a job that doesn't necessarily require you to return by a certain time, and having a boyfriend in the US are two huge flags, when it comes to overstaying. Visa applicants must be viewed as possible intending immigrants, especially when you have ties to the US (your boyfriend). Because it is illegal to obtain a tourist visa if/when you have immigration intentions, this is why those kind of factors are looked at so carefully.

Examples of evidence supporting ties to your home country can include:

- An official letter from an employer confirming applicant is expected back at work within/at a certain time.

- Mortgage or lease in your name, indicating you have a place of residence in your name that you would need to return to.

- Evidence of business or other official obligations in your home country that would require your return within a certain time.

Invitation letter from your boyfriend does not serve any purpose that you would need, as it only actually supports the fact that you have ties to the US (aka possible reason for overstaying).

Based on what you have, it sounds like applying again with the same information would most likely lead to the same result. If any other option is not available to you, as far as proving ties to your country, I recommend your boyfriend visit you.

Edited by Paul & Mallory
Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Agree, it’s more information than people usually get and also agree with no change in circumstances it’s unlikely to change the outcome at another interview.

out of curiosity, where did you meet your boyfriend - was it online or was it in person while one or not of you were traveling?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

In FY 2017, Indonesia's B visa refusal rate was only 10.99%.  I think if you can show stronger ties to your country, you might be successful in a few months.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Oh my,

I'm so thankful for everyone who replied to my question.

it makes me kinda sad, because it proofs that lying is better than telling the truth.

but i was just kinda scared to lie since i know i'm too expressive to lie, they'll easily figure it out.

i saw a suggestion telling me, if i reapply, i should bring the documents that showing my obligations.

just a simple question, what if the interviewee doesn't wanna see the documents again?

and i got another question, since most likely the suggestion is for my boyfriend's family to come n visit Indonesia,

which for my family it's also required that the male family come to the female family first,

but i saw in another forum, about a canadian guy who got newly married to US woman,

n when he tried to renew his visa, it got rejected too.

from the answers in that forum, people said that he suppose to apply marriage visa from the first try (not just doing the renew visa).

me and my boyfriend know nothing about it.

if in future we decided to married in Indonesia, but staying in US:

1. is my non-immigration rejected visa record will be a trouble for me to apply immigration visa?

2. we know nothing about marriage from different countries, what legal steps should we do?

again, thank you so much for all the helps.

God bless u guys abundantly

17 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Agree, it’s more information than people usually get and also agree with no change in circumstances it’s unlikely to change the outcome at another interview.

out of curiosity, where did you meet your boyfriend - was it online or was it in person while one or not of you were traveling?

hi, just answering the question

it was through a dating application.

i wouldn't suggesting any apps, since its based on our luck and fate, i think.

because mostly dating apps experiences are bad, i just got 1 lucky fate to have my imperfect-but-perfectly-match-for-me boyfriend.

Hope it helps 😸

10 minutes ago, LDR27 said:

hi, just answering the question

it was through a dating application.

i wouldn't suggesting any apps, since its based on our luck and fate, i think.

because mostly dating apps experiences are bad, i just got 1 lucky fate to have my imperfect-but-perfectly-match-for-me boyfriend.

Hope it helps 😸

It may be a factor, if visa officer thinks you were specifically looking for an American husband = increased risk of overstay.

being denied for 214b won’t be a problem for an immigrant visa.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Meeting a USC (American Citizen) through a dating app is a flag. Wonder if you've also met Indonesian men thru that app? 

Plus, Indonesia is a culturally conservative country, the world's largest muslim nation I think. COs know that, and may look at a 29-yr old single female travelling alone to visit a US boyfriend with suspicion. You'd be viewed as an overstay risk. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

30 minutes ago, Roel said:

Sorry, but it doesn't look like you'll receive a tourist visa. Consul doesn't have to look at any documents you bring, including the invitation letter.

Having US boyfriend is pretty popular reason for rejection.

Make an arrangement for boyfriend's family to visit you, if that's really so important. You made is sound like that's not a problem to "bring along his parents to meet your parents in Indonesia"."

hi, thank you for ur answer.

my friends told me the same thing too, they said i shouldn't said i got boyfriend in US, i better just said that i'll go travelling alone, since the work is kinda hectic nowadays, and just get refresh myself  bit.

but im kinda too scared to lie.

Well, for my boyfriend's parents, they would likely to come to Indonesia, but i think they expect me to meet them first before they come to my parents, as an act of politeness.

Especially bcoz my boyfriend already flew to Indonesia before, to meet my parents too.

i just hope they can understand the situation enough to come to Indonesia.

our other option is to have some vacation together, me and my boyfriend's family (exclude my family first,since my parents prefer that the male family come to female family first, after that both family can go vacation together n all) in other countries, like Japan, or HK, or Vietnam (any places that not require tight VISA like US), he'll try to talk to his parents first.

Could it be a good solution?

Thank you so much for ur help ☺️☺️

God bless

Sure, of course you can meet up in whatever other country you want.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
37 minutes ago, LDR27 said:

Oh my,

I'm so thankful for everyone who replied to my question.

it makes me kinda sad, because it proofs that lying is better than telling the truth.

but i was just kinda scared to lie since i know i'm too expressive to lie, they'll easily figure it out.

No, lying is never better when dealing with immigration. Nobody here is saying or trying to prove that. Lying can get you denied or even worse, banned. Never misrepresent anything.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.