6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I created a topic, but I have a few questions about AOS and wanted to gather information/advice from you all!

A little bit about my back ground: I lived in USA as a student visa/OPT and before my OPT was expired, I went back to Japan in July, 2017. My US fiance at the time filed K1 petition for me in October, 2017. My K-1 visa was approved so I came back to the states in July, 2018. I was in Japan for exactly one year. While I was in Japan, I changed my job three times. The first job was at a cafe, then at a hotel, and my last job was at a restaurant. Here are some questions I have for I-485/AOS;

1. What do I call myself? Am I still the beneficiary and is my US citizen husband still my petitioner?

2. Page 4, Part 3, Item# 5, "Address History":

I moved a lot for the last five years, and have more than 10 addresses. For I-129F, I made the list of my physical address history by Word, write "See Attachment" for the question on I-129F, and attached the list. I would like to do the same for I-485, but wanted to make sure what I am doing makes sense. 

On I-485, I write my current USA address as Physical Address 1 on Item #5. I would write my Japan address as Physical Address 2 on Item #7, but since I have an attachment (the list of my address history), I wrote "See Attachment." My second recent address is my Japan address where I stayed for an year. The next page (Page 5, Part 3, Item# 9) says "Provide your most recent address outside the US where you lived for more than one year (If not already listed above)." On the list I am going to provide USCIS will have my Japan address, but since I do not write my Japan address as Physical Address 2 on Page 4, do you think it is okay to write my Japan address on Page 5, Item #9? Or is it confusing? Should I write "See Attachment" on Item #9 as well? 

4. A similar question to above; Page 6, Part 3, Item# 19 "Provide your most recent employment outside of the US (if not already listed above.)":

My most recent employment was in Japan at a restaurant which I listed as "Employer 1" on Question 11. Even though I had two other jobs in Japan before "Employer 1," should I write "N/A" on question 19? I am going to attach the list of my employment history for the last five years which includes my two other jobs in Japan. I just wanted to make sure writing "N/A" on question 19 is okay since they only ask "most recent employment outside of the US (if not already listed above.)"

5. Page 2, Part 1, Item# 22 "When I last arrived in the US, I:"

I choose 22a and write "K-1 visa holder." Is this correct? 

6. Page 3, Part 1, Item# 24, "What is your current immigration states (if it has changed since your arrival)?":

Should I write N/A because my immigration states has not changed since my arrival? My immigration states is K1 Visa holder since my arrival.

7. Page 7, Part 5, Item# 10, "Is your current spouse applying with you?":

Since my spouse is US citizen (my K1 petitioner), I check "No." Correct?

I really would like to make sure what I am doing right and less confusing. So I appreciate your answer and advice for my questions! Thank you for reading my post.

Screen Shot i485 address history.png

Screen Shot i485 address history employement history.png

31 minutes ago, Yuilicious said:

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I created a topic, but I have a few questions about AOS and wanted to gather information/advice from you all!

A little bit about my back ground: I lived in USA as a student visa/OPT and before my OPT was expired, I went back to Japan in July, 2017. My US fiance at the time filed K1 petition for me in October, 2017. My K-1 visa was approved so I came back to the states in July, 2018. I was in Japan for exactly one year. While I was in Japan, I changed my job three times. The first job was at a cafe, then at a hotel, and my last job was at a restaurant. Here are some questions I have for I-485/AOS;

1. What do I call myself? Am I still the beneficiary and is my US citizen husband still my petitioner? - For the AOS, you are the Principal Applicant/Immigrant

2. Page 4, Part 3, Item# 5, "Address History":

I moved a lot for the last five years, and have more than 10 addresses. For I-129F, I made the list of my physical address history by Word, write "See Attachment" for the question on I-129F, and attached the list. I would like to do the same for I-485, but wanted to make sure what I am doing makes sense. -  yes you can do the same, but on the additional information sheet of the I-485, make sure you label "SEE ATTACHMENT" and also putting the Item #, Page # and Question # as indicated

On I-485, I write my current USA address as Physical Address 1 on Item #5. I would write my Japan address as Physical Address 2 on Item #7, but since I have an attachment (the list of my address history), I wrote "See Attachment." My second recent address is my Japan address where I stayed for an year. The next page (Page 5, Part 3, Item# 9) says "Provide your most recent address outside the US where you lived for more than one year (If not already listed above)." On the list I am going to provide USCIS will have my Japan address, but since I do not write my Japan address as Physical Address 2 on Page 4, do you think it is okay to write my Japan address on Page 5, Item #9? Or is it confusing? Should I write "See Attachment" on Item #9 as well? - First address you list is your current physical address where you currently live which should be the US. Then list the 2nd address, 3rd address and so forth. Any additional addresses that cannot fit in this section should be listed on your attachment as listed above.

4. A similar question to above; Page 6, Part 3, Item# 19 "Provide your most recent employment outside of the US (if not already listed above.)":

My most recent employment was in Japan at a restaurant which I listed as "Employer 1" on Question 11. Even though I had two other jobs in Japan before "Employer 1," should I write "N/A" on question 19? I am going to attach the list of my employment history for the last five years which includes my two other jobs in Japan. I just wanted to make sure writing "N/A" on question 19 is okay since they only ask "most recent employment outside of the US (if not already listed above.)" - as previously stated, list your most recent employer first and go in date order from recent to previous/oldest date. Any additional employers/jobs can be listed at the additional information section as listed above.

5. Page 2, Part 1, Item# 22 "When I last arrived in the US, I:"

I choose 22a and write "K-1 visa holder." Is this correct? -  correct, you arrived on as K1 visa holder

6. Page 3, Part 1, Item# 24, "What is your current immigration states (if it has changed since your arrival)?":

Should I write N/A because my immigration states has not changed since my arrival? My immigration states is K1 Visa holder since my arrival. - put the same as above, K1 visa holder. Your status hasn't changed. Filing these forms is your way of requesting a change in status.

7. Page 7, Part 5, Item# 10, "Is your current spouse applying with you?":

Since my spouse is US citizen (my K1 petitioner), I check "No." Correct? - correct, since your spouse is a US Citizen

I really would like to make sure what I am doing right and less confusing. So I appreciate your answer and advice for my questions! Thank you for reading my post.

I would recommend you review the Immigration forms listed on this website as there are samples already filled out so you have a guide to refer to.

Good luck on the rest of your journey!

ROC Filing:

4/21/2021 - Sent ROC Package via FedEx

4/22/2021 - FedEx package delivered and signed

5/11/2021 - Check cashed

5/14/2021 - Received NOA1 via mail (NOA1 date: 5/8/2021)

6/9/2021 -  Biometrics waived - Case updated to Fingerprints taken

Timeline
1 hour ago, Trinab80 said:

I would recommend you review the Immigration forms listed on this website as there are samples already filled out so you have a guide to refer to.

Good luck on the rest of your journey!

Hi! Thank you for answering my questions! 

I think some of my questions weren’t clear. I made the attachment for employment history & my address history for i129F which I’m planning to use for I485 as well. 

My questions about address & employment history was more towards when the form asks “list the address (employer) outside of US.”

I would write my Japan address on “Physical Address 2” if there weren’t anymore address, but as I mentioned before, I have too many address (employers) so I have to attach my list. I write “See Attachment” on Physical Address 2, like the pics I attached with my OP. So technically, my Japan address isn’t written “above” when the form says “if not already listed above.”

I’m trying to figure out if I should still write my Japan address on i845 or not. I am going to write my Japan address on my list as attachment for sure though. Does this make sense? 

Should I just write “See Attachment” on Physica Address 2, still write my Japan address when the form asks “if not already listed above” and write my Japan address on the list?  

I used the sample on VJ to fill out this form! They are super helpful:) I just wanted to make sure rather than just believing/assuming what I’m doing right because I’ve seen too many horror stories on VJ as well...haha

Thank you so much for your help! 

10 minutes ago, Yuilicious said:

Hi! Thank you for answering my questions! 

I think some of my questions weren’t clear. I made the attachment for employment history & my address history for i129F which I’m planning to use for I485 as well. 

My questions about address & employment history was more towards when the form asks “list the address (employer) outside of US.”

I would write my Japan address on “Physical Address 2” if there weren’t anymore address, but as I mentioned before, I have too many address (employers) so I have to attach my list. I write “See Attachment” on Physical Address 2, like the pics I attached with my OP. So technically, my Japan address isn’t written “above” when the form says “if not already listed above.”

I’m trying to figure out if I should still write my Japan address on i845 or not. I am going to write my Japan address on my list as attachment for sure though. Does this make sense? 

Should I just write “See Attachment” on Physica Address 2, still write my Japan address when the form asks “if not already listed above” and write my Japan address on the list?  

I used the sample on VJ to fill out this form! They are super helpful:) I just wanted to make sure rather than just believing/assuming what I’m doing right because I’ve seen too many horror stories on VJ as well...haha

Thank you so much for your help! 

Whether your employers and addresses were inside or outside the US, you must provide them on the form as required. I would recommend you fill in each field as indicated and when you run out of room, then use your attachment for the additional addresses and employers. So for physical address 2, write or type in the address, same for employer. For physical address 3, write or type in the address, same for employer. When there are no other fields, on the last page of the I-485, put the item #, page# and question# of what you adding and then write or type, see attachment for the remaining addresses and employers.

ROC Filing:

5/11/2021 - Check cashed

Timeline
1 hour ago, Trinab80 said:

Whether your employers and addresses were inside or outside the US, you must provide them on the form as required. I would recommend you fill in each field as indicated and when you run out of room, then use your attachment for the additional addresses and employers. So for physical address 2, write or type in the address, same for employer. For physical address 3, write or type in the address, same for employer. When there are no other fields, on the last page of the I-485, put the item #, page# and question# of what you adding and then write or type, see attachment for the remaining addresses and employers.

Oh ok! I guess it’s a bit different from K1. Many people told me that I need to write “See Attachment” on the last slot of whatever question was on i129f, so I wrote my address “Physical Address 1” or “Employer 1” and wrote “See Attachment” on Physica Address 2 and Employer 2, and attached the lists for my K1!  

Thanks for the tip!!

Edited by Yuilicious

4 minutes ago, Yuilicious said:

Oh ok! I guess it’s a bit different from K1. Many people told me that I need to write “See Attachment” on the last slot of whatever question was on i129f, so I wrote my address “Physical Address 1” or “Employer 1” and wrote “See Attachment” on Physica Address 2 and Employer 2, and attached the lists for my K1!  

Did you do what you said above and got your GC?:) Thanks for the tip

Since the G-325A is no longer required, this information has been added to all forms as part of the biographic information. But since the instructions state to not leave any boxes blank, you are to fill in the information required and any additional information goes on the "additional information" sheet as indicated in the instructions.

Yes, I did do this for my husband, since he had an additional employer I had to add and there was no more fields to add it. We just filed his paperwork 2 weeks ago and received our NOA1.

ROC Filing:

5/11/2021 - Check cashed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.