45 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

If you look at the charts, it appears that K-1 processing time is longer while CR-1 processing is getting shorter...at least in the VJ reporters since April 2018.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, Robert D said:

Thanks again, I appreciate your help- How about the marriage there in Phils; Can that all take place within about a week / 10 days or so as long as I have all my documents in order and on hand?

I'll have to admit I'm not sure about that as we did our wedding in the US. But I believe it is not as simple/quick of a process as certain paperwork has to be obtained there (i.e. an Affidavit in lieu of Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage), then the time between applying for a license and actually getting it, etc.

I can reach out to another member who just married there, though. They can probably best answer the timeline question:

@John & Rose

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

14 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I'll have to admit I'm not sure about that as we did our wedding in the US. But I believe it is not as simple/quick of a process as certain paperwork has to be obtained there (i.e. an Affidavit in lieu of Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage), then the time between applying for a license and actually getting it, etc.

I can reach out to another member who just married there, though. They can probably best answer the timeline question:

@John & Rose

Thanks Geowrian, I was reading also about the time to wait for the license and all the paperwork and I want to avoid that there; Rather go thru red tape here if I have to  :)

2 hours ago, Robert D said:

I've always understood that a K-1 Fiance Visa is processed/approved much faster than marrying abroad and bringing her to the U. S. on a K-3 Spousal Visa; Is this still the case? Is it possible to marry abroad but NOT file the marriage there in her home country (The Philippines) and even though are married there so her friends and family can attend, or will that complicate/delay things?

I married my wife in the Philippines in 2012.  She got here 8 months later on a CR-1.  You can't "get married and not file the marriage".  The time now for a CR-1 is longer than it was in 2012, however there are many advantages to the CR-1. 

2 hours ago, Robert D said:

Thanks again, I appreciate your help- How about the marriage there in Phils; Can that all take place within about a week / 10 days or so as long as I have all my documents in order and on hand?

We hired an attorney in the Philippines to speed up our marriage process.  Cost us about 100 dollars.  It was well worth it.  But my wife still had to stand in line several times to get the marriage certificate.  As I recall that took 3 or 4 weeks after our wedding.  Make sure you bring a copy of your ORIGINAL DIVORCE DECREE is you have ever been married before. The Philippines will require you to go to the US Embassy or one of the US Consular offices and swear that you have never been married before if you have not been married. The US consular will give you a document that you swore you were never married before.  This is why I would recommend getting an attorney that knows all of the ropes.  Good luck.  P.S.  Our wedding and complete reception was attended by about 100 relatives and cost us a mere 300 dollars.  You're never gonna get anywhere near that in the US.   Our attorney found a pastor for us that officiated at the wedding.  He had to do followup work to register our marriage and was very helpful.  Aloha from Hawaii, david

2 minutes ago, David & Zoila said:

We hired an attorney in the Philippines to speed up our marriage process.  Cost us about 100 dollars.  It was well worth it.  But my wife still had to stand in line several times to get the marriage certificate.  As I recall that took 3 or 4 weeks after our wedding.  Make sure you bring a copy of your ORIGINAL DIVORCE DECREE is you have ever been married before. The Philippines will require you to go to the US Embassy or one of the US Consular offices and swear that you have never been married before if you have not been married. The US consular will give you a document that you swore you were never married before.  This is why I would recommend getting an attorney that knows all of the ropes.  Good luck.  P.S.  Our wedding and complete reception was attended by about 100 relatives and cost us a mere 300 dollars.  You're never gonna get anywhere near that in the US.   Our attorney found a pastor for us that officiated at the wedding.  He had to do followup work to register our marriage and was very helpful.  Aloha from Hawaii, david

Thanks David, I was just now talking with her again and she keeps mentioning the marriage license when I think she means certificate and of course here in the US we need the license before the marriage, so that is one reason for my confusion; Is there a license of any kind required there BEFORE the marriage takes place? I do have my divorce decree (I am pretty sure it's notarized if that is even necessary) altho do I need to provide my birth certificate and if so, does it need to be stamped / notarized or is merely a copy sufficient? She also keeps mentioning a police report for me of some kind whereas I know they need NBI clearance for the visa but would I need that also?

I am glad to hear that your attorney was so reasonable; Maybe you can refer me?  :)  I have always been reluctant to pay any attorney there for anything just because they know the money is coming from an American who they assume has deep pockets thus always asking for more because some kind of "unforseen problem" came up, but maybe I am being too paranoid about that...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Robert D said:

Thanks Geowrian, I was reading also about the time to wait for the license and all the paperwork and I want to avoid that there; Rather go thru red tape here if I have to  :)

You could also take a trip with your fiancée to somewhere two foreigners can marry quickly and with little red tape. Though avoiding Russian red tape and the complexities of setting up a wedding in a third country were basically why we ended up applying for a K-1.

I remember a while back (less than a year ago, though) one person with a Filipina spouse suggested that another poster get married in Hong Kong if he was going to do a CR-1, though it seems like that's clearly trading money for time in this case.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

3 hours ago, Robert D said:

The K1 is fastest overall but the CR1 has more advantages I think and is only a couple months longer nowadays. 

But the marriage will take longer than 10 days, more like 2 weeks in fact but much longer if you want a Catholic wedding. 

7 hours ago, Robert D said:

My Filipina wife and I found it was easier and quicker and actually cheaper to marry in Hong Kong this past March.  We sent in the marriage paperwork 2 weeks before and spent about 5 days in HK for the wedding, filing the report of marriage at the consulate and amending her passport.  Just amending her passport was worth going there.   That part is much longer in the Phils.  The USEM will accept the Hong Kong Marriage certificate.  When we looked at doing in in Phils it was going to take 5 to 8 weeks give or take for the approvals.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

15 hours ago, Robert D said:

In our case, I traveled there and did the marriage license requirements (CENOMAR, Affidavit in Lieu of Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage, other paperwork...).  My Embassy appointment was on Thursday.  Our Family Planning Seminar was on Wednesday.  We were able to get out of that since we both have two teenage and grown children but we still had to get the completion certificate.  We did most of the paperwork on Wednesday and since my Embassy appointment was Thursday morning, we were able to complete the marriage application Thursday afternoon.  At that point they tell you when the license will become active.  There is a 10 day wait for the marriage announcement to be posted and put in the paper in case there are objections.

I came back to the states and went back to Phil 2 weeks later.  If I had enough PTO I would have stayed.  I have an acquaintance who stayed and did all the paperwork.  If you have a couple weeks you can do it all in one trip.

Make sure you check with the local registrar to see if they accept the affidavit.  I believe most do but there are a few provinces that may not.

Also, if you are looking at a civil wedding, opt for the Mayor's office and not the Hall of Justice.  Judges are harder to schedule and usually cost more too.

PS:  Make sure you schedule the appointment with the Embassy before you go.  There were not a lot of openings for the notary and we had to book our time about two weeks out.

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

As others have mentioned prior, the K3 is now obsolete and many embassies no longer conduct K3 interviews.

Around the time I was doing my I-130 interview in Trinidad, there was one member on here who had her spouse living with her in Ohio and he had to come back to Trinidad to conduct his K3 interview. She told me that the officer DID tell her husband that this type of visa is no longer granted interviews but since they were the ONLY ones who filed that way and paid their fees, they would grant them the interview.

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
16 hours ago, Robert D said:

I was reading also about the time to wait for the license and all the paperwork and I want to avoid that there

As already mentioned, Hong Kong is a great alternative. Another option: if your fiance has (or is keen to try to apply for) a US tourist visa, you can marry in the US and she returns to the Philippines. Then you can begin the CR-1 process:

Then after the marriage, you can have a renewal of vows in the Philippines if she still wants a ceremony with family.

Edited by TM92

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Not sure if I’m reading into your original question correctly. You cannot get married abroad and not file the marriage to do a K1 to get her here faster. K1 is for fiancés, NOT married. CR1 is for spouses. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
20 hours ago, Robert D said:

I would want to file whichever gets her to USA faster regardless of the fees (unless we're talking about a huge difference!); She will not need to work right away after her arrival nor would she be traveling yet so adjustment times, etc. would not be of too much concern.

I filed a K-1 many years ago and she was approved within about 7 months with no hassle or delays whatsoever...

if you are looking for fast visa and see ur fiancee here in usa asap.i would suggest go with k1 it takes 6 months.if you filed everthing correctly.im a k1 visa holder.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 minutes ago, ajay007 said:

if you are looking for fast visa and see ur fiancee here in usa asap.i would suggest go with k1 it takes 6 months.if you filed everthing correctly.im a k1 visa holder.

Your timeline says differently......242 days from NOA1 to interview........

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.