BRENTWOOD

Should we move from California to Arizona????

46 posts in this topic

Hello,

Not sure if anyone has any advice on this, but I thought I would throw it out there anyways because everyone is always SO extremely helpful on this site and they have gotten me through some difficult times. My question is I am having a difficult time with California I find it very expensive, very crowded, very unforgiving. Basically we are living in the Bay Area and houses are over $1 million its just unaffordable, a decent rental is about $2900/month. With me not working and my husband is a chiropractor we don't necessarily need to be in this area but we feel stuck. Our lease is ending end of August and I am considering that we just pick it all up and move to Arizona which would be much more affordable in terms of property. Can get  a nice house for $300 k rent is about $1000/month? Also in California the nursing board is making it very difficult for me to become a nurse here, they want me to take a microbiology course and a psychology course with my Canadian degree and just a million hidden fees and costs of living in California. Is leaving a good idea or is it a rash decision? I have lived here for 4 months and my husband for 5 years he is from Chicago and went to chiro school here. Anyways any advice or experience is greatly appreciated. We are slightly lost at the moment so come on down with any ideas! hahah

Thanks!

<3 

I think this is the decision that you should make with your husband alone. It's up to you two to decide where you want to live and do your research - unless you really want bunch of internet strangers to make life decisions for you. 😛

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

There are a lot of areas that are nice and more affordable. I don't think could ever stand to live in Cali myself; but like Roel said it's more a personal decision you two have to make. If it's best for you both then do it. If not, then maybe somewhere else or find another solution.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I would move. California is it's own country. They have so many taxes and the cost of living is extremely high in the bay area. Arizona gets a little warm granted depending on where you live, but it is definitely cheaper than California. California has some pluses, but there is no way in my opinion it outweighs the negatives. I live in Nevada , compared to Arizona it's about the same. But the nursing board here is pretty forgiving  I know some nurses and CNAs that said compared to California their license transfers we're easy and took less than a month. Another bonus, no state taxes, just federal, that's like getting a raise just by moving here. Compare options and see what is best. Work it out with your husband and see. They have good cost of living calculators online to help you compare cities, you can do one of those to get some good numbers.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

1 minute ago, Loren Y said:

I would move. California is it's own country. They have so many taxes and the cost of living is extremely high in the bay area. Arizona gets a little warm granted depending on where you live, but it is definitely cheaper than California. California has some pluses, but there is no way in my opinion it outweighs the negatives. I live in Nevada , compared to Arizona it's about the same. But the nursing board here is pretty forgiving  I know some nurses and CNAs that said compared to California their license transfers we're easy and took less than a month. Another bonus, no state taxes, just federal, that's like getting a raise just by moving here. Compare options and see what is best. Work it out with your husband and see. They have good cost of living calculators online to help you compare cities, you can do one of those to get some good numbers.

thank you for the advice! I really appreciate it :) have a nice day!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Arizona native here. It's definitely got its perks in terms of affordability compared to other places, esp. the bay area. Property costs have been rising a lot here over the past few years, but nothing compared to what you're paying now. Rent is average around $1000 for a great apartment or older/small houses, depending on the area. My mom is from San Diego and moved back once us kids were older, so Cali is like my 2nd home, but I personally have never had the desire to move to Cali so I don't think it's crazy to consider moving out of Cali. 

The main negative is that it's brutally hot at least 3-4 months out of the year, but the good weather months are amazing. Also, metro phoenix is super spread out so good public transit is basically nonexistent, unless you live in downtown phoenix - but no matter what you need a car to get around everywhere. A lot of people who live in AZ hate on living in AZ, but I've been all over the country and I appreciate AZ a lot more now than I used to. Sure, there are better places to live, but AZ is definitely not a bad place to live - so long as you can put up with a few 120 degree days :D 

Since it's so close to Cali I would recommend visiting to get a feel for it, unless you already have. I can answer any other questions you might have, but I can't really think of a reason to tell you NOT to move to AZ. Just comes down to what is best for you and your husband.

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered "Man.... Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

- The Dalai Lama

2 minutes ago, 2018JNJ said:

Arizona is a very nice place to live.

Please don't try to change it.

Good states to live in are getting more difficult to come by.

🙂

jj

Areeeeee you saying I would make it not a nice place to live? hahaha I don't even know how I could possibly change it lol I just want to be an amazing nurse somewhere I can afford a life, Cali is proving to not be feasible for this dream 😜

Timeline
3 minutes ago, KozmicBlues said:

Arizona native here. It's definitely got its perks in terms of affordability compared to other places, esp. the bay area. Property costs have been rising a lot here over the past few years, but nothing compared to what you're paying now. Rent is average around $1000 for a great apartment or older/small houses, depending on the area. My mom is from San Diego and moved back once us kids were older, so Cali is like my 2nd home, but I personally have never had the desire to move to Cali so I don't think it's crazy to consider moving out of Cali. 

The main negative is that it's brutally hot at least 3-4 months out of the year, but the good weather months are amazing. Also, metro phoenix is super spread out so good public transit is basically nonexistent, unless you live in downtown phoenix - but no matter what you need a car to get around everywhere. A lot of people who live in AZ hate on living in AZ, but I've been all over the country and I appreciate AZ a lot more now than I used to. Sure, there are better places to live, but AZ is definitely not a bad place to live - so long as you can put up with a few 120 degree days :D 

Since it's so close to Cali I would recommend visiting to get a feel for it, unless you already have. I can answer any other questions you might have, but I can't really think of a reason to tell you NOT to move to AZ. Just comes down to what is best for you and your husband.

Oh and I'm sure 300K would get you a great house - I'm currently living in a 1200 sq. ft home (4 bedrooms, 2 baths) in a great suburb neighborhood and the zillow estimate is $180K - so that gives you an idea of what you can get here. 

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered "Man.... Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

- The Dalai Lama

7 minutes ago, KozmicBlues said:

Oh and I'm sure 300K would get you a great house - I'm currently living in a 1200 sq. ft home (4 bedrooms, 2 baths) in a great suburb neighborhood and the zillow estimate is $180K - so that gives you an idea of what you can get here. 

That is very tempting........ seems like the life in California is just a hamster wheel no one can get ahead even with TWO jobs and I can't have a job obviously so it is just frustrating watching everyone doggy paddle to just make ends meet. Just an adjustment but I don't think I want to stick around for it.

Timeline
Just now, BRENTWOOD said:

That is very tempting........ seems like the life in California is just a hamster wheel no one can get ahead even with TWO jobs and I can't have a job obviously so it is just frustrating watching everyone doggy paddle to just make ends meet. Just an adjustment but I don't think I want to stick around for it.

yea, exactly! Now I'm sure the wages are probably less on average here as well, but I imagine the cost of living difference alone would still make a significant impact. 

- The Dalai Lama

15 minutes ago, KozmicBlues said:

Thank you for your well thought out response I reallly appreciate it! Especially talking to an arizona native haha you are definitely the expert here!

I don't know what it is about Cali but I just can't be sucked into it. It feels just exhausting the life people are living just to stay above water. I can't imagine having kids here and adding that cost into it. I want to have a family in the near future and California just makes it seems like the small normal dreams I want are unachievable and I just don't like that! Yes brutally hot so make sure to have A/C and stay out of peak heat times... for sure especially I'm from Canada haha so either deal with snow or extreme heat :) I am just pretty lost and since I'm new to the US it feels like there are a million options, I just want somewhere that we can live out our dreams a little easier......

Do you think it is a good place to start a family? or start out a life as a new married couple? I feel the pros outweigh the cons in arizona whereas cali the cons seem to outweigh the pros, people suffer for the perfect weather every day I guess haha I will admit the weather is perfect here can't complain about that but my dreams are more important than the weather!

Thanks for your advice! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Since your working in the nursing field I'm sure in Arizona they have the same thing, but there are lots of hospitals and care centers that are giving 3-5000 dollar bonuses just for taking a nursing job with them. So once you get to work it's good money.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.