D&Jmora

HELP! AOS doubts, questions and inconsistencies about I-693

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I apologize if this has already been hashed out on VJ, but I haven't found the answers I'm looking for. 😲

I know every case is different but my husband has K1 visa status and as we were preparing the AOS paperwork I got caught up in a sh**storm of doubt and confusion. In Colombia, my husband got the full medical exam needed to get his visa and enter the US. Unfortunately, the doctor did not update his vaccines, nor asked him if he wanted to. Us never having done this before didn't think anything of it. UNTIL NOW. I know my husband needs boosters of some vaccines but we won't have insurance until September 1st. His I-94 is valid until Sept 11th. We are already married, which is what those 90 days are for, and I've read that while it is not IDEAL to apply for AOS later than 90 days, it's not necessary to do it by then. Now, if we want to get his vaccines updated, we HAVE TO get blood work and urine samples done (I have argued with multiple civil surgeons and no one will give him an injection without these things being done...money grab?). Our biggest priority right now is getting the EAD for my husband sooner than later. From what I have read, the EAD and AOS processes are not directly related. Even if our AOS process is delayed by an RFE for vaccines, it won't affect EAD (correct?). We can wait for the green card, but I don't want him going crazy cooped up in a house all winter. Not to mention we could really use the second income. So here are my options as I see it:

1. Spend nearly $1000 to get blood and urine tests and updated vaccs without insurance to send AOS and EAD next week.

2. Wait until Sept 1st when insurance coverage begins to get tests and vaccs, so we can send AOS and EAD *hopefully* by Sept 11th or shortly after.

3. Send AOS and EAD documents knowing that we will get an RFE for vaccines in the future, but *hopefully* receive the EAD sooner than later.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anyone has any insight, let me know!!! I'm so afraid to make a mistake that could cost us this whole process. Maybe that is a bit dramatic, but maybe not. Send your suggestions, tips, previous mistakes my way!

Blessings to all ❤️

Dana and Jhonatan

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, D&Jmora said:

I apologize if this has already been hashed out on VJ, but I haven't found the answers I'm looking for. 😲

I know every case is different but my husband has K1 visa status and as we were preparing the AOS paperwork I got caught up in a sh**storm of doubt and confusion. In Colombia, my husband got the full medical exam needed to get his visa and enter the US. Unfortunately, the doctor did not update his vaccines, nor asked him if he wanted to. Us never having done this before didn't think anything of it. UNTIL NOW. I know my husband needs boosters of some vaccines but we won't have insurance until September 1st. His I-94 is valid until Sept 11th. We are already married, which is what those 90 days are for, and I've read that while it is not IDEAL to apply for AOS later than 90 days, it's not necessary to do it by then. Now, if we want to get his vaccines updated, we HAVE TO get blood work and urine samples done (I have argued with multiple civil surgeons and no one will give him an injection without these things being done...money grab?). Our biggest priority right now is getting the EAD for my husband sooner than later. From what I have read, the EAD and AOS processes are not directly related. Even if our AOS process is delayed by an RFE for vaccines, it won't affect EAD (correct?). We can wait for the green card, but I don't want him going crazy cooped up in a house all winter. Not to mention we could really use the second income. So here are my options as I see it:

1. Spend nearly $1000 to get blood and urine tests and updated vaccs without insurance to send AOS and EAD next week.

2. Wait until Sept 1st when insurance coverage begins to get tests and vaccs, so we can send AOS and EAD *hopefully* by Sept 11th or shortly after.

3. Send AOS and EAD documents knowing that we will get an RFE for vaccines in the future, but *hopefully* receive the EAD sooner than later.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anyone has any insight, let me know!!! I'm so afraid to make a mistake that could cost us this whole process. Maybe that is a bit dramatic, but maybe not. Send your suggestions, tips, previous mistakes my way!

Blessings to all ❤️

Dana and Jhonatan

Money wise and all option 2 sounds decent. Can schedule an appointment a head of time too. If you end up going over by even a few days to send in the AOS after the I-94 expires it's okay. Relax. It happens.

Option 3 you can try but they might not even accept the packet without any medical info in there so might never get a chance to even get an RFE.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I had the same issue trying to tell civil surgeons that only the vaccination section was needed, but everywhere I called they wanted to do the whole medical over again. Try getting your vaccinations cheaper at a health clinic and then take the vaccination records to the civil surgeon so they can fill out the medical and vaccination section. My husband received the two vaccinations he needed for much less then it was at the doctors office. 

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

All 3 options are doable.

IMO, You should definitely send your AOS package now, even if the I-693 is not ready, because wait times for EAD are long (4 to 6 months) the longer you wait, the longer your spouse will stay home and I am sure he is already eager to get back in the working life lol.

I did not personally adjust from K1 and did not send the I-693 with my package and didnt get an RFE for it; but you can look at the January 2018 thread and see that many sent their package without the I-693, because depending on your field office it may expire by the time of interview. You should not  receive a RFE for it but a courtesy letter after receiving the NOA1 reminding you that you did not submit the medical exam with your original package but you should be ready to bring it to the interview or when prompted by them.

Then after sending the package, you have time to find clinics or be covered by insurance to take care of the vaccines.

For your question about EAD and AOS not being related, well actually they are, because the EAD is based on your AOS so they are related.

So if you receive a RFE for anything on your AOS, the EAD is on hold until they receive the response to the RFE.

I hope I made sense, in summary not sending the medical exam should not be a reason for RFE ( from my experience and many others seen on VJ but they are always new updates with immigration), but getting a RFE in general for your AOS will pause the processing of your EAD.

Good luck

01/08/2018: Priority Date

01/19/2018: Checks cashed

01/22/2018: 3 NOA's received in Mail (I-130, I-485 and I-765)

02/09/201: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter scheduled for 02/22

02/10/2018: Email notification of RFIE :(

02/12/2018: Early walk-in for Biometrics, successful

02/16/2018: RFIE received for birth certificate and translation, sent back the same day

02/20/2018: RFIE response delivered, sent via Fedex

02/23/2018: Case status updated to RFIE response received

03/05/2018: Courtesy letter for I-693, medical exam received, letter dated Feb 28th

03/08/2018: AP application delivered by Fedex

03/19/2018: NOA for AP received in the mailbox

05/03/2018: AP ONLY approved (Approved in 56 days)

05/11/2018: AP received in Mail

05/21/2018: Email received,EAD card in production (Day 133)

05/22/2018: Interview scheduled

05/25/2018: EAD approval letter received in Mail

05/29/2018: EAD card and letter for interview (Jun.26th) both received in Mail, Woot woot :)

06/26/2018: Interview completed, now waiting for the magical email/letter...

10/30/2018: Went to Infopass, officer has not made a decision yet, an email was sent to him tell him I came to inquire

03/26/2019: Moved so updated our address online with USCIS

04/16/2019: I-130 petition approved

04/20/2019: approval notice received in the mail

04/22/2019: received notification of RFE for AOS I-485

06/01/2019: RFE finally received after being lost in the mail, asking for a new medical exam

06/06/2019: Response to RFE sent, received the next day 06/07/2019

06/17/2019: Received notification of another RFE, 3rd time will be the charm hopefully

06/22/2019: RFE received for new medical

07/02/2019: Went to doctor for new medical

07/11/2019: I-485 approved without new medical exam

07/18/2019: Green Card received in mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thank you both for your advice. In covering both bases...just made an appointment for vaccinations a few days from now but in the meantime i will look into not sending the i693 just to be safe.

I really appreciate it!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.