893 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

The waiting is really getting to us :( My husband was denied a visitor visa for not showing strong enough ties to his country. We haven't been together since our wedding in April and were hoping for Christmas but the flights to Romania are over $1000 and I'd need two since I have a young child to bring. Everything just feels impossible and I am worried that not enough face time will count against us....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

It's tough... the waiting part of this process really sucks.  Some days I feel like quitting my job and moving to Brazil to be with my husband.  I can get a spousal visa to live there in about a month.  But we're going to stick this out and be patient.  I'm going to see him for 6 days for Thanksgiving, then again for Christmas for 9 days.  Lots of trips planned to ease the pain of being so far apart.  It's been almost 4 months since filing the petition, so lots more waiting to endure.   Hang in there everybody.  Thank God for technology so at least we can see and hear our spouses every day.  Prepare documents for NVC stage and stay positive!

Timeline
1 minute ago, carmel34 said:

It's tough... the waiting part of this process really sucks.  Some days I feel like quitting my job and moving to Brazil to be with my husband.  I can get a spousal visa to live there in about a month.  But we're going to stick this out and be patient.  I'm going to see him for 6 days for Thanksgiving, then again for Christmas for 9 days.  Lots of trips planned to ease the pain of being so far apart.  It's been almost 4 months since filing the petition, so lots more waiting to endure.   Hang in there everybody.  Thank God for technology so at least we can see and hear our spouses every day.  Prepare documents for NVC stage and stay positive!

I wish we could plan such trips but it's so hard with my daughter's school schedule and then the price of holiday travel to Romania. It's killing me. Can you elaborate on what documents I should be preparing for the NVC? Thank you and God bless ❤️

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Musicsaves said:

I wish we could plan such trips but it's so hard with my daughter's school schedule and then the price of holiday travel to Romania. It's killing me. Can you elaborate on what documents I should be preparing for the NVC? Thank you and God bless ❤️

https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php?title=NVC_Process

Lots of useful information on this guide to NVC stage--the documents required and recommended are listed, as well as an explanation of the (very confusing) process.  We are preparing these documents now so that we will be ready to submit them as soon as we get NOA2--we don't want to slow this process down by even one day!  So sorry that your husband could not get a US tourist visa--we don't even bother applying after all the denial stories here on VJ.  We are planning spending a week in Canada in February--you might look into that, meeting somewhere closer to you where he could get a visa, like Canada or Mexico.  God bless you and all the couples struggling with the long wait.

Timeline
1 minute ago, carmel34 said:

https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php?title=NVC_Process

Lots of useful information on this guide to NVC stage--the documents required and recommended are listed, as well as an explanation of the (very confusing) process.  We are preparing these documents now so that we will be ready to submit them as soon as we get NOA2--we don't want to slow this process down by even one day!  So sorry that your husband could not get a US tourist visa--we don't even bother applying after all the denial stories here on VJ.  We are planning spending a week in Canada in February--you might look into that, meeting somewhere closer to you where he could get a visa, like Canada or Mexico.  God bless you and all the couples struggling with the long wait.

We spent last Christmas in Canada as well :)

Thank you for the info

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Togo
Timeline

Hi

Daphne and Eli

Noa date July 9

Daphne,  us citizen

Eli togolese 

So excited to join the July forum. 

I can't wait until my husband will make it here. 

Nebraska center

Please to meet everyone

IMG-20180831-WA0007.jpg

I read through the link that was provided for the NVC Process: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process#Step_2_-_Submit_DS-261

But I still feel confused as to the exact documentation I need to have at this point and thereafter. Basically just tax returns and sponsor information if one is needed? Am I to submit additional evidence of bonafide marriage at the NVC stage? Also, at what point should my spouse apply for a passport and get the police clearance certificate? We want to have everything done prior to each stage.

I'm a worrier. Thank you to those who answer.

2 hours ago, CamilaRemolina said:

I read through the link that was provided for the NVC Process: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process#Step_2_-_Submit_DS-261

But I still feel confused as to the exact documentation I need to have at this point and thereafter. Basically just tax returns and sponsor information if one is needed? Am I to submit additional evidence of bonafide marriage at the NVC stage? Also, at what point should my spouse apply for a passport and get the police clearance certificate? We want to have everything done prior to each stage.

OK. First, I'm going to suggest the guides, because they are genuinely useful and more informative than someone like me. You can see the "Guides" tab at the top of the VisaJourney page.

Next, looking at your timeline, you have filed your i130 and you are waiting for approval. You can prepare for the NVC stage now but certain things are only appropriate at certain stages... for example:

• You submit evidence of a bonafide marriage with your i130 application. If not enough is provided USCIS will send you a letter asking for more, or other specific pieces of evidence. This is called an RFE (Request for Evidence). You can also bring more evidence to your interview but its not guaranteed that this will be looked at by the interviewing officer.
  • At the NVC stage you will be informed what documents you need to submit and when to submit them. The IV and AOS package lists on the wiki link are pretty accurate and, yes, tax returns tend to be the key piece of evidence for the AOS, but letters from employers to prove salaries etc. can help.
  • Police certificates vary by country. I'm still waiting to start my case at the NVC but I have got my police certificate because it is valid for one year, and I think that will be enough time to get past the NVC stage. Point is, check how long police certificates are valid in your country. Or you can check the average time to receive one after it is requested. I got mine very quickly and really it's something you can do when you actually get to the NVC stage.
  • Not sure what you mean by applying for a passport.

Timeline
11 hours ago, CamilaRemolina said:

You can submit additional evidence of ongoing marital union at the NVC stage, this is sometimes called "side-loading," and is a good idea if you have additional visits since the I-130 was filed.  Some choose to side-load because the CO will often make a decision to approve BEFORE the visa interview with the spouse abroad, and they do not even look at evidence brought to the interview.  If you side-load at the NVC stage, the evidence will go to the embassy or consulate with your file, so at least the information is there if they decide to look at it.  In my opinion, additional evidence will not hurt your case, so if it helps you to sleep better at night, submit it.  I think it also depends on red flags, country of origin or your spouse, past issues, anything that may cause concern for the CO at the interview.  Each case is different and in the end, you decide what additional information to submit.  In our case, before anticipated NOA2, we will have had four additional visits since the I-130 was filed, so we plan to side-load evidence of that, then take evidence of visits between NVC and the interview to the interview itself.  Also some additional co-mingling of finances evidence will be submitted at the NVC stage.  We don't want any RFEs, so we are being proactive about submitting evidence.  For us, every day apart is too much, so we choose to send lots of evidence rather than only the "required" documents like tax information, required forms, civil documents, etc.--the "bare minimum."  Your spouse should get a passport now, as it takes a few months in some countries.  Also have your spouse check their vaccination records and have those ready for the medical, birth certificate, police clearances, marriage certificate, and start to complete the required forms and read up on the process so that you are ready to go once you receive your NOA2.  Good luck!

5 hours ago, carmel34 said:

You can submit additional evidence of ongoing marital union at the NVC stage, this is sometimes called "side-loading," and is a good idea if you have additional visits since the I-130 was filed.  Some choose to side-load because the CO will often make a decision to approve BEFORE the visa interview with the spouse abroad, and they do not even look at evidence brought to the interview.  If you side-load at the NVC stage, the evidence will go to the embassy or consulate with your file, so at least the information is there if they decide to look at it.  In my opinion, additional evidence will not hurt your case, so if it helps you to sleep better at night, submit it.  I think it also depends on red flags, country of origin or your spouse, past issues, anything that may cause concern for the CO at the interview.  Each case is different and in the end, you decide what additional information to submit.  In our case, before anticipated NOA2, we will have had four additional visits since the I-130 was filed, so we plan to side-load evidence of that, then take evidence of visits between NVC and the interview to the interview itself.  Also some additional co-mingling of finances evidence will be submitted at the NVC stage.  We don't want any RFEs, so we are being proactive about submitting evidence.  For us, every day apart is too much, so we choose to send lots of evidence rather than only the "required" documents like tax information, required forms, civil documents, etc.--the "bare minimum."  Your spouse should get a passport now, as it takes a few months in some countries.  Also have your spouse check their vaccination records and have those ready for the medical, birth certificate, police clearances, marriage certificate, and start to complete the required forms and read up on the process so that you are ready to go once you receive your NOA2.  Good luck!

14 hours ago, Apelcina said:

OK. First, I'm going to suggest the guides, because they are genuinely useful and more informative than someone like me. You can see the "Guides" tab at the top of the VisaJourney page.

Next, looking at your timeline, you have filed your i130 and you are waiting for approval. You can prepare for the NVC stage now but certain things are only appropriate at certain stages... for example:

• You submit evidence of a bonafide marriage with your i130 application. If not enough is provided USCIS will send you a letter asking for more, or other specific pieces of evidence. This is called an RFE (Request for Evidence). You can also bring more evidence to your interview but its not guaranteed that this will be looked at by the interviewing officer.
  • At the NVC stage you will be informed what documents you need to submit and when to submit them. The IV and AOS package lists on the wiki link are pretty accurate and, yes, tax returns tend to be the key piece of evidence for the AOS, but letters from employers to prove salaries etc. can help.
  • Police certificates vary by country. I'm still waiting to start my case at the NVC but I have got my police certificate because it is valid for one year, and I think that will be enough time to get past the NVC stage. Point is, check how long police certificates are valid in your country. Or you can check the average time to receive one after it is requested. I got mine very quickly and really it's something you can do when you actually get to the NVC stage.
  • Not sure what you mean by applying for a passport.

Thank you to both of you. Every once in a while I go into panic mode. Last night was one of those nights. I am going to see my husband next week for Thanksgiving break so we will get his passport then. In D.R. I've been reading it only takes about three days for them to process and hand out the passport. I was thinking that there was a lot that needed to be submitted during the nvc stage but if it's basically tax return/earnings/employment information, then it shouldn't be too bad.

I spoke to my attorney/cousin and he believes a should wait a bit longer for the police clearance in order to have the most up to date one to submit. Any thoughts on this, Apelcina and carmel?

Also, Carmel. How do you plan on organizing the documents being sent at the NVC stage? Where would you add the documents for "side-loading?" And in terms of the vaccination records, should my husband have an official copy of this?

We don't want to spend any minute more apart than we have to either. Thanks for both of your quick replies.

Timeline
12 hours ago, CamilaRemolina said:

Thank you to both of you. Every once in a while I go into panic mode. Last night was one of those nights. I am going to see my husband next week for Thanksgiving break so we will get his passport then. In D.R. I've been reading it only takes about three days for them to process and hand out the passport. I was thinking that there was a lot that needed to be submitted during the nvc stage but if it's basically tax return/earnings/employment information, then it shouldn't be too bad.

I spoke to my attorney/cousin and he believes a should wait a bit longer for the police clearance in order to have the most up to date one to submit. Any thoughts on this, Apelcina and carmel?

Also, Carmel. How do you plan on organizing the documents being sent at the NVC stage? Where would you add the documents for "side-loading?" And in terms of the vaccination records, should my husband have an official copy of this?

We don't want to spend any minute more apart than we have to either. Thanks for both of your quick replies.

I too have those panic mode days...the days where I check our case stauts for any change even though they give NO info, and when I pour through visa journey posts. I'm also wondering how soon to get the police report, and wondering how my husband will obtain any vaccine record in romania where these things were not done when he was born into a comminist leadership. Any advice from anyone is so appreciated 😊 Love and patience to all of us!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We’re also July filers (Potomac) and I’m trying very hard to not get excited but mid-June applications are getting approved right now and I’m very excited, despite my best attempts not to be. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.