2,949 posts in this topic

On 7/28/2018 at 3:07 PM, Anna2018 said:

Hello,

This is a bit of a long story, but i urgently need some advise.

I am a British citizen who met an American man in Europe, We fell in love and got married. We lived about 5 years in Europe and had 3 children together, my marriage to him was not exactly a happy one, i learned alot of negative aspects about him that i didnt like. 

But since we had young children together i decided that i would try to tolerate him and hope that things would turn around. 

Unfortunately, things only deteriorated and i eventually told him that i wanted to leave him and i was sick and tired of his behavior.

Which included drinking, being abusive towards me and not helping me do anything, he did absolutely nothing to the point that on top of me having to do everything at home and watch the children, i would also have to go work full time, while he sat at home and did absolutely nothing.

He ended up making me a bunch promises, that if i gave him another chance that he would change. And he convinced me to come to USA with him.

Saying that he would be more productive in USA, since that is his homeland and he knows how to operate in it better than in Europe. (I was so stupid to agree to this, but this was someone i once loved and i still cared for despite what was going on. I was just hoping for the best.)

I entered USA on a 90 day visa waiver. He told me to gather my paper work and have all documents that needed translating to be translated. I went for my medical examination and did everything that i was able to do on my part to file for my adjustment of status.

The next part was on him and he failed to do anything. He kept giving me excuses for why he was unable to do it at that time. If its not his salary, its his taxes, if its not taxes, it was something else. I put a lot of time and effort into trying to gather everything for nothing. He told me that he would get to it if i gave him a chance to settle in abit.

and since my visa was good for 3 months i agreed.

To cut a long story short, i have now over stayed my 90 day visa waiver by 6 years. He continued to lie to me about fixing my paper work with more excuses, was abusive and controlled every aspect of my life now. He caused me alot of psychological trauma, by bringing me to this country and turning me into an illegal alien, who cant do anything.

Cant work, drive, no bank account, no money of my own, scared of police or any other government agencies. i just felt like a zombie. I could have just gone home to the UK and everything would have been instantly normal for me. But we have children, which complicated matters and it was so impossible for me to just take all the kids and get on an airplane. 

I told him that i couldn't live like this anymore it was effecting my state of being and my health and that i wanted a divorce. Of course he tried to make more promised, but i was no longer agreeing to anything. He threatened me by saying me if i ever mentioned divorce again he would take me to ICE and have me deported or that he would kick me out on the curb, he told me if ever left and took the kids he would have me arrested and locked up for kidnapping. 

He took all of my paper work.... passport, birth certificates, kids paper work.... everything and hid it. He closed access to internet and phones, so i unable tell anyone what was going on.

This scared me to the point that i just ended up running away from him. I went to stay with a close friend of mine. During this time even though i was warned not to contact him, i ended up contacting him because we had children. 

Because of my contact with him, he ended up finding out where i was staying and pressured me into returning just for enough time to file for a divorce together, so he said. I felt like once again he had something over me, and to avoid causing problems where i was staying, i stupidly agreed to go.

As a result of this, when i got there it ended up in him taking me against my will to Homeland Security Department and handing me over to ICE, who arrested and detained me for violating my 90 days visa waiver.

I spent over a week in jail, while my friend was trying to find lawyers who could get me out. In the end only 1 lawyer suggested that we try and request ICE to grant a post-order of supervision and provide documentary evidence showing reason for why i should merit humanitarian consideration.

In the outcome ICE decided to to give me a chance to file for a VAWA petition and released me on 'Order of supervision'

I am so traumatized, overwhelmed and just shocked by the recent events that i do not know where to begin. I just want rid of this man and his grip over me. I know that I need a lawyer and i need to file for a VAWA asap. But i also need to sustain myself in the meantime and pay for these expenses. 

I'm hoping somebody here would be able to give me some advise.

What is the process of filing for a VAWA, i don't have any police records as i was afraid to call them in case it resulted in me getting deported. And i don't have any medical records.

Can anyone with a similar scenario as mine share the out come or progress of their VAWA petition?

I was told i can apply for a work permit with 'order of supervision' document. But its not clear to me what type of supporting documents they require from me.  Do they require a letter from me stating the below? 
A. Existence of a dependent spouse and/or children in the United States who rely on you for support;
B. Existence of economic necessity to be employed; and 
C. Anticipated length of time before you can be removed from the United States

Am i able to get a state ID with my 'order of supervision" document. 

All and any other advise would be so much appreciated.

Thank you.

The ONLY advice I have for you is this:

you have a good foundation for a strong case. Take your time and prepare a solid true declaration/statement. Even it it requires three months of a solid TRUE  statement. Think through every detail of your day to day life with this person and pen it down! Don’t worry about the police report thing too much especially if you don’t have it. The psych evaluation should help too. 

Good luck!!

Edited by Double

20 hours ago, Claudia16049 said:

I apply 1st EAD CARD ON mar-27-2018,until jul-28-2018 I not yet received EAD work card ,who already got EAD CARD this year apply 

I did. Mine was a renewal under C09. They got my documents on May 18th and I got my work permit on July 12. I didn't have a bio metrics appointment because they used my old ones. 

My I-360 was approved on July 25th (I see it online). But the status of I-485 (they were filed concurrently) is still "At this time USCIS cannot provide you with information for your case. Please contact the USCIS Contact Center for additional information." 

Is there something I can do with it? What's my next step?

Edited by Tony1912

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Tony1912 said:

My I-360 was approved on July 25th (I see it online). But the status of I-485 (they were filed concurrently) is still "At this time USCIS cannot provide you with information for your case. Please contact the USCIS Contact Center for additional information." 

Is there something I can do with it? What's my next step?

u got any rfe and when did u applied ?

Timeline
Just now, Tony1912 said:

RFE for i-360 was completed. Both were filed in October 2016

what was the rfe about and when did they reciveed your rfe ?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bahamas
Timeline
2 hours ago, Donjuan98 said:

Hi, im new in the forum i have a question did someone from june 2017 has the i360 approved, im from june 15, and nothing.

June too nothing so far, did you get rfe or primia facie

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Caribbeanchild said:

filed vawa sept 2017,ead march 2018 no rfe and 2 pf.... my boys got their approval last week on their ead.

congrats :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.