SMcNally

AOS Package...So many questions!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi all,

I got my K1 a few days ago. We plan on getting married right after I get there, so the weekend after the next...and sending in the AOS package asap (end of July hopefully). I have started looking at the AOS forms and filling some info in. I have a few questions:

1) My fiancee (USC) wants to change her last name. If she does that after we send the AOS package, does that effect our application? Should we notify USCIS after the name change? How is the name change done...at the SSA?

2) Do I send in more than one G-1145 (Electronic Notification) for the AOS package or just one at the beginning? I will also be filing the I-131 and I-765. So, do I need 3 or just the one for the entire package?

3) I already have a SSN (from previously working in the USA on a J-1). Do I need to do anything else regarding the SSA? Like get a new one? If no, then on the I-765, I don't want the SSA to issue me a social security card, right (Question 10)?

4) My current immigration status on the I-765 is 'K-1 fiance' ?

5) Do K-s1 receive an A-Number?

6) I only make the payment for the I-485. The fee for the I-131 and I-765 is waived when I file them all together. Correct?

7) Regarding the I-131, Application for Travel, am I applying for a Re-entry Permit or Advanced Parole? What's the difference? On the I-131, regarding Part 2, No. 1, am I a conditional resident applying for a re-entry permit (1a) or am I applying for an Advance Parole Document to allow me to return after temporary foreign travel? Is it ok if I wanted to travel for non-humanitarian reasons and its also not a personal emergency i.e. a holiday?

8) In the I-765 instructions, this is written, "K-1 Nonimmigrant Fiance(e) of U.S. Citizen or K-2 Dependent--(a)(6). File Form I-765 if you are filing within 90 days from the date of entry. This EAD cannot be renewed. Any EAD application other than for a replacement must be based on your pending application for adjustment under (c)(9).  " I thought the EAD could be renewed especially since they give it for only 6 months, right?

9) During my K-1 medical, the panel physician did not give my any vaccinations. It looks like I'll need to get them done in the USA. So, is this what I should be doing? Go to a civil surgeon who will give me the required vaccinations and fill up the I693 form...just the vaccinations part. The results will be in a sealed envelope that I submit when I apply for the AOS. This is assuming I find a civil surgeon who agrees on doing just the vaccinations and not the entire medical. So, this also means, I will have to submit the DS3025 from my medical in India and the I693 from the civil surgeon when I apply for the AOS. Is this correct? My DS3025 is not going to be sealed as the sealed envelope that I get from the embassy will be opened at the POE. Is this a problem? Do other folks just send their DS3025 unsealed?

Thank you

Timeline

10) On the I-485, Part 1, 19, "Non-Immigrant Visa Number from this passport(if any)". They are not asking for my K1 number, right? They are asking if I have any other visas on that passport.

Part 2, 2: Yes or No?

Part 2, 3: Are they asking for our I-129f petition number, the WACblahblah?

Part 3, 1: The answer is Yes because I have a K-1?

25 minutes ago, SMcNally said:

Hi all,

I got my K1 a few days ago. We plan on getting married right after I get there, so the weekend after the next...and sending in the AOS package asap (end of July hopefully). I have started looking at the AOS forms and filling some info in. I have a few questions:

1) My fiancee (USC) wants to change her last name. If she does that after we send the AOS package, does that effect our application? Should we notify USCIS after the name change? How is the name change done...at the SSA?

Just put the married name in the AOS documents.

2) Do I send in more than one G-1145 (Electronic Notification) for the AOS package or just one at the beginning? I will also be filing the I-131 and I-765. So, do I need 3 or just the one for the entire package?

Just one.

3) I already have a SSN (from previously working in the USA on a J-1). Do I need to do anything else regarding the SSA? Like get a new one? If no, then on the I-765, I don't want the SSA to issue me a social security card, right (Question 10)?

You only have one SSN. You don't get a second number.

4) My current immigration status on the I-765 is 'K-1 fiance' ?

K1 visa holder.

5) Do K-s1 receive an A-Number?

Yep.

6) I only make the payment for the I-485. The fee for the I-131 and I-765 is waived when I file them all together. Correct?

Yep.

7) Regarding the I-131, Application for Travel, am I applying for a Re-entry Permit or Advanced Parole? What's the difference? On the I-131, regarding Part 2, No. 1, am I a conditional resident applying for a re-entry permit (1a) or am I applying for an Advance Parole Document to allow me to return after temporary foreign travel? Is it ok if I wanted to travel for non-humanitarian reasons and its also not a personal emergency i.e. a holiday?

Advance Parole.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
9 hours ago, SMcNally said:

Thank you. Any thoughts of Question 9?

This is my two cents on it.... I just did my vaccinations today. I needed an MMR shot. You only need the I693 if your DS3025 is not "complete". After seeing an USCIS approved civil surgeon they gave me the sealed envelope of the I693. So I will send that in the AOS package. The original Vaccination Documentation Worksheet you got form your overseas medical is just a copy of the original which you turned in at POE. (It was in the package)

Btw it's hard to find a good civil surgeon around here who knew whats going on. Called like 5 from the website, some wanted to redo the whole medical, some didn't know whats going on even if I found them on the USCIS website.... So if you need one don't give up, call several until you feel they know what they are talking about....

Edited by ineedadisplayname

Timeline
9 hours ago, ineedadisplayname said:

This is my two cents on it.... I just did my vaccinations today. I needed an MMR shot. You only need the I693 if your DS3025 is not "complete". After seeing an USCIS approved civil surgeon they gave me the sealed envelope of the I693. So I will send that in the AOS package. The original Vaccination Documentation Worksheet you got form your overseas medical is just a copy of the original which you turned in at POE. (It was in the package)

Btw it's hard to find a good civil surgeon around here who knew whats going on. Called like 5 from the website, some wanted to redo the whole medical, some didn't know whats going on even if I found them on the USCIS website.... So if you need one don't give up, call several until you feel they know what they are talking about....

Thanks. So, your I-693 will have your vaccination info. What about the other tests Eg: chest xray? How does USCIS get the rest of the info on the incomplete DS3025? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
8 hours ago, SMcNally said:

Thanks. So, your I-693 will have your vaccination info. What about the other tests Eg: chest xray? How does USCIS get the rest of the info on the incomplete DS3025? 

Not sure about the chest x-ray, but I assume i was in the package we all turned in at the POE. Or they don't need it. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.