Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi VJ fellas,

Upon reading peoples experience's here, my thoughts:

1. If you have a visa before submitting your aplication I do not think it will be a problem to visit

2. You can visit, no problem at poe if your record of visits to the USA is good, ie.: not frequent visits for long periods, weeks, not months like me: out of 12 months I spent 9 months in the USA. If so you will be highly questioned, and chances to be refused are high. My last visit lasted almost 2 months, not planning to travel again, since it's very likely that I get refused at poe

3. Like many people have mentioned here, you can apply after submiting your petition, but chances to get a visa can be very low, since the tourism visa application asks if somenone has file  a petition to immigrate to the USA. 

®️

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hello there! This thread has been so helpful. I've read as much as I can, though not all 124 pages. So apologies if these questions have been asked already. But they're a bit quirky, so I'd love people's insights.

Background: My boyfriend is Argentinian, and we are planning to get officially engaged after he visits me and my family for 2.5 weeks in February. This will be his first visit to the US -- fortunately, his B visa just got approved! We will start our K-1 journey in March after this visit. 

Question #1: During the long wait, we'd like for him to come do a two(ish) month visit maybe in June/July. But then after that, instead of flying back to Argentina, he would fly with me to Europe for a month or two. Would this cause a problem for him at the POE back in June? Will they specifically be looking for proof that he's going back to his *own* country, or is proof on onward travel to Europe enough?

Question #2: Related to the above, if my fiance wants to make additional visits to me in the US later in the year, how important is it for him to have gone back to Argentina in between visits? Or is it fine if he has been hanging out in some third country in between his US visits?

A tiny bit more background: we are both freelancers with a lot of job flexibility. He does own a house in Argentina, but I have no idea whether that alone is enough to prove ties. Basically, he would prefer to be away from Argentina (either in US or Europe) for as much of our K-1 waiting period as possible, but he can certainly spend more time in Argentina if it helps our case or reduces POE problems. Many thanks for your thoughts!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 minutes ago, ReyOfJakku said:

Hello there! This thread has been so helpful. I've read as much as I can, though not all 124 pages. So apologies if these questions have been asked already. But they're a bit quirky, so I'd love people's insights.

Background: My boyfriend is Argentinian, and we are planning to get officially engaged after he visits me and my family for 2.5 weeks in February. This will be his first visit to the US -- fortunately, his B visa just got approved! We will start our K-1 journey in March after this visit. 

Question #1: During the long wait, we'd like for him to come do a two(ish) month visit maybe in June/July. But then after that, instead of flying back to Argentina, he would fly with me to Europe for a month or two. Would this cause a problem for him at the POE back in June? Will they specifically be looking for proof that he's going back to his *own* country, or is proof on onward travel to Europe enough?

Question #2: Related to the above, if my fiance wants to make additional visits to me in the US later in the year, how important is it for him to have gone back to Argentina in between visits? Or is it fine if he has been hanging out in some third country in between his US visits?

A tiny bit more background: we are both freelancers with a lot of job flexibility. He does own a house in Argentina, but I have no idea whether that alone is enough to prove ties. Basically, he would prefer to be away from Argentina (either in US or Europe) for as much of our K-1 waiting period as possible, but he can certainly spend more time in Argentina if it helps our case or reduces POE problems. Many thanks for your thoughts!

They are looking for proof he will leave the country,  they don't care if he goes back to his country or not.  This is true for your other question

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

They are looking for proof he will leave the country,  they don't care if he goes back to his country or not.  This is true for your other question

Gotcha, that's great to hear. Thanks so much. I was worried that he might not look like he still has ties.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
21 minutes ago, ReyOfJakku said:

Gotcha, that's great to hear. Thanks so much. I was worried that he might not look like he still has ties.

From my experience, his entry depends on the answers he gives to CPB when interviewed at POE, I was never asked for supporting documents. The most important thing for me is to be truthful.

®️

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

My fiance is from South Africa and has planned for months to visit for a few weeks around Christmas to meet my family and spend the holidays and both our birthdays together.  She is eligible for the British passport by descent and we were hoped to get that back beforehand so she could visit via the VWP.  We've run out of time, so we applied for a B2 on her South African passport.  In addition, we got back the NOA2 much earlier than expected.  Looking back through this thread and others, it seems like a rare occurrence for someone to be issued a tourist visa after the NOA2.   I've seen the common thinking seems to be that if you are denied a B2 because of ties to home country, then it is unlikely to affect K1.  But I guess my guess my question is even though I assume our odds of approval for the B2 is 0.01%, are there more reasons not to still give it a try since we already spent the money for the application and set an appointment?  Would it help anything if we had the K1 visa interview scheduled for after she is expected to return to aid in showing intent to return to home country?  I mean in one sense you think they aren't going to approve a B2 when a K1 is so close.  But then would they assume anyone gets that close to approval and then breaks the rules?  She truly wants to come as a tourist for the holidays, go back home, do her medical and interview, spend time with her family and prepare for what's next.  I mean, we got Ed Sheeran tickets in March,  no way we miss that.  That ought to be proof enough right there, I say.  😀

Edited by pretendthisisfun
spelling
04/25/18  - I-129F sent Overnight Priority USPS to PO Box in Dallas

04/28/18  - USCIS signed for I-129F

05/01/18  -  Electronic NOA1

05/05/18  -  NOA1 hard copy

10/17/18  -  NOA2 

10/22/18  -  NOA2 received

11/14/18  -  NVC received case

11/23/18  -  NVC issued case number

12/11/18  -  NVC in transit

12/27/18  - P3 Received

03/28/19  -  Interview

04/11/19  -  Entry to US

07/07/19  -  Wedding

08/09/19  -  Filed AOS/EAD/AP

08/12/19  -  NOA1

09/04/19  -  Biometric Appointment

10/10/19  -  Notice of Ready For Interview  

12/06/19  -  AP/EAD Approved

12/16/19  -  AP/EAD Card Received

02/27/20  -  AOS Interview Scheduled Text

02/27/20  -  AOS Interview NOA

04/16/20  -  AOS Interview (E-notice of  interview cancellation received 03/31/20)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Difficult to get a B when you qualify to use the VWP.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Difficult to get a B when you qualify to use the VWP.

She doesn't yet qualify to use the VWP because she hasn't got a British Passport.  We have all the documents required but haven't sent off for it because she has to send the South African passport along with and that would rule out the B2 for Christmas and the K1 visa interview can't be scheduled until its returned because they will need the SA passport as well.

10/17/18  -  NOA2 

12/27/18  - P3 Received

03/28/19  -  Interview

04/11/19  -  Entry to US

07/07/19  -  Wedding

08/12/19  -  NOA1

04/16/20  -  AOS Interview (E-notice of  interview cancellation received 03/31/20)

Timeline

Everybody wanting to use the VWP needs a passport.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
35 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Everybody wanting to use the VWP needs a passport.

I know that, and I thank you for trying to help.  But my question was do we have more to lose by attending the B2 interview with the South African passport.  I know she will most likely be denied, but if there is a chance and it won't affect the K1...then is it worth doing.

10/17/18  -  NOA2 

12/27/18  - P3 Received

03/28/19  -  Interview

04/11/19  -  Entry to US

07/07/19  -  Wedding

08/12/19  -  NOA1

Timeline

A declined tourist visa has no impact, well assuming it is the usual not showing non immigrant intent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ive been to the US 3 times this year and now ill be going again for christmas. I never had a problem with entering the US, but im always so nervous lmao. This time ill be bringing my interview appointment confirmation, but still im so anxious :(. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We recieved our NOA2 on November 09, 2018 and I just went through u.s. customs and i brought all the information with me and they only asked 3 basic questions. In saying that, after I checked in and went to drop off my bag immigration was already there waiting for me and marked my boarding pass... so they definietely knew I was coming.. so I eas suprised when i breezed through talking to the customs officer. But yey !! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.