Cass55

Visitor Visa for Boyfriend

15 posts in this topic

Hello there,

My boyfriend is going to apply for the B1 Visitor Visa. He lives in the UK and has a full time job, he would only be coming for two weeks as that’s the amount of days he gets off. He is from Poland which is not yet a Visa Waiver country and so needs to apply, though he as been living all most of his in the UK. When it comes to applying, on the Ds160 form, should he list my address as where he is staying or would it be better to put a hotel? He can say that it is a room he will rent for the vacation. Also, I live in a very touristy season for summer; which may help the case. I just want to make sure that he has a high chance of approval as I know that having a girlfriend in the US is almost a always a denial, so maybe it would be best if he didn’t mention it? Any advice would be appreciated. I’m just worried about him getting declined over something that can be prevented.

If you have gone through the process before or have advice, please help; I will greatly appreciate it :)

5 minutes ago, Cass55 said:

should he list my address as where he is staying or would it be better to put a hotel? He can say that it is a room he will rent for the vacation

He should put wherever he will actually be staying. Anything else is misrepresentation, and nobody on this site can advise or condone that.

If things go well and you eventually want to marry and stay in the US, they can use that against him for a misrepresentation bar (permanent bar, but waivable with a good waiver case).

He just needs to tell the truth and apply. Good luck!

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 minute ago, Cass55 said:

Thank you for responding :) 

Do they usually ask about where he isn’t staying during the interview or verify the address? Also, should he state that he has a girlfriend or only answer what he is asked?

I'd suggest only answering what is asked. Even though he is coming to see you, he is still coming for a vacation and for tourism, right? If so, then that answer is fine and still honest. I visited my girlfriend a number of times, but I would always consider it to be a vacation and tourism still.

At the same time, it's not unusual for them to ask about meeting somebody in the US, and what their relationship to them is. He needs to be honest if asked. Nothing's wrong with seeing a boyfriend/girlfriend in the US. I just wouldn't focus on that part of it...if asked, just tell them.

It's not common, AFAIK, for them to verify the address for the visa. I have seen cases where CBP (when entering the US) have contacted the address to verify information.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

19 minutes ago, Cass55 said:

Thank you for responding :) 

Do they usually ask about where he isn’t staying during the interview or verify the address? Also, should he state that he has a girlfriend or only answer what he is asked?

They may or may not ask. He should answer all questions asked truthfully, but not volunteer anything he isn’t asked.

eg:

is this address someone you know - yes (nothing else)

How do you know this person - she’s my girlfriend (no lies...but if they don’t ask don’t volunteer it)

15 minutes ago, geowrian said:

It's not common, AFAIK, for them to verify the address for the visa. 

At one of my B interviews I got the distinct impression they had already looked it up before the interview. I don’t know if that’s routine or not.

Yes, it is for a vacation. We’re actually planning to go to quite a couple of places if he does get approved, including Universal Studios :) the main intent is tourism. 

Thank you both for helping, I really appreciate it. The whole process is new to me and him. What do you recommend taking to the interview? He was planning on taking a letter from his employer and likely 3 pay slips. Should he take a bank statement or anything else? I don’t really know what other proof of strong ties he can provide as he doesn’t own property and lives with his parents. Do they take the fingerprints at the interview?

3 hours ago, Cass55 said:

Yes, it is for a vacation. We’re actually planning to go to quite a couple of places if he does get approved, including Universal Studios :) the main intent is tourism. 

Thank you both for helping, I really appreciate it. The whole process is new to me and him. What do you recommend taking to the interview? He was planning on taking a letter from his employer and likely 3 pay slips. Should he take a bank statement or anything else? I don’t really know what other proof of strong ties he can provide as he doesn’t own property and lives with his parents. Do they take the fingerprints at the interview?

Hmmm...I don’t actually recall if they take fingerprints at a B interview. They definitely take them on entry to the US.

they may not look at anything he brings but best to be prepared if they ask, definitely a letter from his employer, stating his job title, how long he’s worked there, his salary, and that he is taking x weeks vacation from x date to y date and returning to employment thereafter.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cyprus
Timeline
13 hours ago, Cass55 said:

Hello there,

My boyfriend is going to apply for the B1 Visitor Visa. He lives in the UK and has a full time job, he would only be coming for two weeks as that’s the amount of days he gets off. He is from Poland which is not yet a Visa Waiver country and so needs to apply, though he as been living all most of his in the UK. When it comes to applying, on the Ds160 form, should he list my address as where he is staying or would it be better to put a hotel? He can say that it is a room he will rent for the vacation. Also, I live in a very touristy season for summer; which may help the case. I just want to make sure that he has a high chance of approval as I know that having a girlfriend in the US is almost a always a denial, so maybe it would be best if he didn’t mention it? Any advice would be appreciated. I’m just worried about him getting declined over something that can be prevented.

If you have gone through the process before or have advice, please help; I will greatly appreciate it :)

Hi,

My then-boyfriend (now husband), went through the exact same process. I'm the USC- We met in Scotland, he's from Cyprus, which isn't part of the visa-wavier program, so he had to get a B1/B2 Visa. We met in the spring, and by the winter, he wanted to visit my family with me in NY, so we were only dating for a few months before he applied for the visa. He had to go to the London embassy- he did put my address (in New York), on the forms, and gave my parents contact info too. He was working in Scotland as a post-doc at the time, so I believe he brought his contract with him as well, and maybe even the lease to the apartment he was renting in Scotland. 

I wasn't with him for the interview and it was a few years ago now, but, from what I remember him saying, he got called up to the window and he told the officer that he was visiting his girlfriend's family for Christmas for two weeks. I remember him saying the officer asked if he'd met them before, and he said yes, on Skype, which was true- we'd Skype call with them from Scotland. The officer kinda joked with him and said 'good luck!". And that was it- he was approved, his passport with the B1/B2 visa (multiple entries, good for 10 yrs), was mailed to our apartment in Scotland about a week after. 

I'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck! 

Thank you so much for your replies. I feel a very relieved, I suppose that it is a scary process since it’s new. I’ll have him take pay slips, letter from his employer and a bank statement. He lives with his parents, so not sure what he could take on that account. I think that should be good right?

Your story makes me feel much better, Jenny :) he will be meeting my parents as well, should he put them as a US point of contact? Or just me?

On 6/14/2018 at 10:43 AM, Cass55 said:

Thank you so much for your replies. I feel a very relieved, I suppose that it is a scary process since it’s new. I’ll have him take pay slips, letter from his employer and a bank statement. He lives with his parents, so not sure what he could take on that account. I think that should be good right?

Your story makes me feel much better, Jenny :) he will be meeting my parents as well, should he put them as a US point of contact? Or just me?

Those are all good items to bring. To be blunt, the CO likely will not look at them except in borderline cases, but they are good to have in case they do. I just don't want to set improper expectations since they usually won't look at documents. The DS-160 + interview questions tends to contain enough information for them to make a decision.

I'd go with you as that's the primary reason, but that's just my $0.02.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

• 2 weeks later...

He’s submitted the application and has the interview date for this month :) He will be taking pay slips, bank statement, his National insurance number document, and letter from his employer. Think that’s enough, don’t know what else would be good to take; although the CO probably won’t look at them, we still want to be prepared.

Any additional advice for the interview would be appreciated :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats! And thank you for the update!

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.