ddy51

Does an RFE come only at i-130 approval stage?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I received an RFE from Texas Service Center for providing the marriage certificate in the prescribed format. 

Does it mean that everything else that we have submitted till this stage is ok and we should not expect further RFEs at NVC stage of the process?

20 minutes ago, Dinesh Dutt said:

I received an RFE from Texas Service Center for providing the marriage certificate in the prescribed format. 

Does it mean that everything else that we have submitted till this stage is ok and we should not expect further RFEs at NVC stage of the process?

It should mean that only marriage certificate had an issue. May I ask if you married in India, if so under what marriage act? Also, what does the RFE say is wrong with the marriage certificate you submitted and what format have they asked for instead?

Edited by darth vader

It likely is the only issue, but they can issue a new RFE for anything at any point until I-130 approval. People have received multiple RFEs in the past, but normally they try to RFE for anything they noticed the first time...if something new comes up afterwards that can resolved with more documentation, then RFE again.

Edit: For clarification, NVC does not issue RFEs. They send checklists. Barring some clerical error or something being missed by the IO, NVC won't touch anything with the I-130. NVC just gathers documents, makes sure things are in order, does a basic review of the I-864, and prepares them for the embassy.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Unfortunately, the NVC is an entirely separate thing and while they don't send "RFE's" they can send "checklists" for missing documents when you send/submit your packages. As always, be super careful going through the list of things to submit and good luck!

Nebraska Service Centre / Frankfurt Embassy

2016/03/30 - Married!

2017/07/14 - Sent off our I-130 packet to the Chicago Lockbox (Filed from abroad)

2017/07/24 - NOA1 (sent to Nebraska)

2018/03/02 - NOA2 (Approved!)

2018/03/19 - "We sent your petition to the Department of State"

2018/03/23 - NVC received petition

2018/05/17 - Case# received and fees paid

2018/05/21 - Case# changed -- can't log in with the new one so "we've sent in a 'ticket' to get it fixed"

2018/05/22 - Scan date. Ticket worked, submitted all our paperwork until the wee hours of the morning. 

2018/06/11 - CC!!! "Documentarily Qualified"

2018/06/25 - Got interview date for July 11; but we must reschedule for August. 

2018/06/26 - Medical

2018/06/28 - New interview date received (for August 13th)

2018/08/13 - Interview in Frankfurt!!! They asked for certified translations.

2018/08/28 - Sent in translations

2018/09/06 - CEAC status changed to "ISSUED!!!"

2018/09/13 - Passport received in the mail! Everything is beautiful.

Timeline
18 minutes ago, darth vader said:

It should mean that only marriage certificate had an issue. May I ask if you married in India, if so under what marriage act? Also, what does the RFE say is wrong with the marriage certificate you submitted and what format have they asked for instead?

Yes we did get married in India under the special marriage Act of 1954. The RFE didn't say anything about the  marriage certificate being wrong. It simply asked us to submit the Marriage Certificate and also said that we should not submit the same document again. The certificate that we submitted did not have a marriage registration number on it as it was a solemnization certificate. So we went to the authorities again and got the marriage registration no and submitted the document.

7 minutes ago, Dinesh Dutt said:

Yes we did get married in India under the special marriage Act of 1954. The RFE didn't say anything about the  marriage certificate being wrong. It simply asked us to submit the Marriage Certificate and also said that we should not submit the same document again. The certificate that we submitted did not have a marriage registration number on it as it was a solemnization certificate. So we went to the authorities again and got the marriage registration no and submitted the document.

I am curious about who (what authority) issued the marriage solemnization certificate? Also, how is it different from a marriage certificate?

I would encourage you to provide more details on a separate thread, if possible on India regional discussion forum, so others can benefit from your experience. Good luck with your visa!

Edited by darth vader

Timeline
1 minute ago, darth vader said:

I am curious about who issued the marriage solemnization certificate?

It was the district commissioner and now the registration certificate was issued by the Tehsildar (marriage registrar).

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
5 hours ago, Dinesh Dutt said:

Usually USCIS only sends one RFE, but not always.  If you respond acceptably, you should have a decision within 2 to 4 weeks after they receive that response.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 4 months later...
On 6/12/2018 at 10:29 PM, Dinesh Dutt said:

Hi! My status on uscis website changed to RFE thing 2 days back and i am really confused what is it, i am still waiting for the yellow letter or email, but i really need to know what is this and what is the procedure, even i was married in india and i submitted the normal government marriage certificate. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, Harish said:

Hi! My status on uscis website changed to RFE thing 2 days back and i am really confused what is it, i am still waiting for the yellow letter or email, but i really need to know what is this and what is the procedure, even i was married in india and i submitted the normal government marriage certificate. 

Wait for the letter to come and check what they have asked for, USCIS doesnt email you this stuff. 

It could be anything. Check on the website whether it is an initial evidence or 

5 hours ago, Harish said:

Wait for the letter to come and check what they have asked for, USCIS doesnt email you this stuff. 

It could be anything. Check on the website whether it is an initial evidence or the additional evidence. You might get some clue on basis of that. 

Nevertheless, once you receive the letter (likely within a week), submit that evidence asap and wait for approval. 

Approval may take anywhere between 2 weeks to 3-4 months.

Edited by Dinesh Dutt

1 minute ago, Dinesh Dutt said:

Or ??? Please tell me im very nervous 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Harish said:

Or ??? Please tell me im very nervous 

It could be anything. Check on the website whether it is an initial evidence or the additional evidence. You might get some clue on basis of that. 

Nevertheless, once you receive the letter (likely within a week), submit that evidence asap and wait for approval. 

1 minute ago, Dinesh Dutt said:

It says initial evidence, in how much time did you got approval ??

Timeline

Though Visajourney estimates RFE approval time as additional 2 weeks but I have seem numerous cases where RFE wasn't approved for more than 3-4 months. Hope you dont have to wait that long. 

1 minute ago, Harish said:

It says initial evidence, in how much time did you got approval ??

Ours took more than two months. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.