JJtheJetPlane

K1 Status "At NVC" What Are Next Steps?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
3 hours ago, frontgear said:

@Nle Unless I'm mistaken, prior to being approved at the interview, your case is a NON-IMMIGRANT VISA. This is to monitor your case status BEFORE the interview.

After you got approved, it will change to IMMIGRANT VISA if you want to find out whether your Visa has been printed and sent on its way.

Never mind, I got it backward. It is IMMIGRANT VISA (IV) and after approval, it becomes NON-IMMIGRANT VISA.

I didn't realize that checking as NON-IMMIGRANT is possible after approval. I just checked and the results were the same with both options.

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Nle said:

I didn't realize that checking as NON-IMMIGRANT is possible after approval. I just checked and the results were the same with both options.

It only works for me when I choose IMMIGRANT

Timeline
17 minutes ago, JJtheJetPlane said:

Great info! I have received notification that the case is "In Transit" to HCMC! Thanks so much, I will submit the DS-160 tonight and schedule the interview. Were you able to get a medical check appointment right away? Where did you have it done, IOM or Cho Ray? How was the experience? My fiancee does not have any immunization records unfortunately.

Our medical appointment at IOM was scheduled the following week after receiving the instruction letter because opening was not available immediately. According to my fiancee ,the doctor did not spend more than 5 minutes for the check up. However, it took nearly two hours to complete because of the wait time. She went to the Quarantine Service for immunization the following day and delivered the immunization record to IOM afterward. She came back to IOM to pick up the sealed medical and immunization records three days later.

The K1 instructions sheet recommends that you get medical exam prior to vaccination but many on here, including us, had done the opposite to save a trip back to Cho Ray or IOM.

You can save a trip by going to the vaccination first. Then take the Yellow form to the medical exam, and just come back a couple of days later to pick up your sealed, brown medical package.

Edited by frontgear

3 hours ago, Nle said:

I do not know if the CEAC website has changed but back in 2014, you can only check the status of your Visa (to see if it was issued) after approval by selecting NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (NIV).

The reason it is NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (after approval) is because a K-1 (Fiance/Fiancee) Visa is not an immigrant visa. It is a non-immigrant with immigrant intent. The beneficiary is not being given the right to immigrate. He/she is being given a limited 90-day visa to get married. That is why you have to do an AOS after you got married to change from non-immigrant to immigrant.

Timeline
2 hours ago, frontgear said:

I do not know if the CEAC website has changed but back in 2014, you can only check the status of your Visa (to see if it was issued) after approval by selecting NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (NIV).

The reason it is NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (after approval) is because a K-1 (Fiance/Fiancee) Visa is not an immigrant visa. It is a non-immigrant with immigrant intent. The beneficiary is not being given the right to immigrate. He/she is being given a limited 90-day visa to get married. That is why you have to do an AOS after you got married to change from non-immigrant to immigrant.

CEAC website has changed. Prior to interview approval, I and many others can only check K-1 visa status by selecting IMMIGRANT VISA. I do understand the distinction of the K-1 visa and you are correct. However, for the purpose of processing the K-1 visa, it is recognized as IMMIGRANT VISA in many of the websites. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, frontgear said:

The K1 instructions sheet recommends that you get medical exam prior to vaccination but many on here, including us, had done the opposite to save a trip back to Cho Ray or IOM.

You can save a trip by going to the vaccination first. Then take the Yellow form to the medical exam, and just come back a couple of days later to pick up your sealed, brown medical package.

Good suggestion. It would have saved us a trip back to IOM.

Timeline

we completed our DS-160 completed, got number. now waiting for medical. I'm very confused I live in NEW YORK and planning to accompany my fiancee to the interview. I have many questions 1) Should i book an one way flight ticket or round trip ticket? will i have problems at airport or visa problems if i book just one way flight? please guys help with this. thanks

3 hours ago, SimonNY said:

we completed our DS-160 completed, got number. now waiting for medical. I'm very confused I live in NEW YORK and planning to accompany my fiancee to the interview. I have many questions 1) Should i book an one way flight ticket or round trip ticket? will i have problems at airport or visa problems if i book just one way flight? please guys help with this. thanks

One way if it's cheaper. I bought a one-way ticket for my wife and no problems or hold-up at the airport.

Timeline
8 hours ago, frontgear said:

One way if it's cheaper. I bought a one-way ticket for my wife and no problems or hold-up at the airport.

WHAT ABOUT YOU. DID YOU BUY ONE WAY TICKET FROM USA TO HER COUNTRY? WERE YOU ABLE TO COME BACK TO USA TOGETHER IN THE SAME FLIGHT?

Timeline

The case status now says "Ready" but we haven't received an email or mail from the Consulate yet. I read on some older threads that you need the invitation letter that they send you in order to get the vaccinations and medical exam. Is it possible to use the interview appointment confirmation instead of the invitation letter? Have an appointment to get vaccinations on Saturday.

Thanks again for all your help guys!

Timeline
3 hours ago, SimonNY said:

WHAT ABOUT YOU. DID YOU BUY ONE WAY TICKET FROM USA TO HER COUNTRY? WERE YOU ABLE TO COME BACK TO USA TOGETHER IN THE SAME FLIGHT?

I believe it takes one to two weeks after you pass the interview to get the actual visa in your hands.

5 hours ago, SimonNY said:

I bought a round-trip ticket for myself and a one-way ticket for my wife. Both of us flew back on the same flight. I knew it was a risky move and everyone here advised against it, but I made a calculated move and we ended up saving almost $1,200 had we waited to buy the ticket after receiving approval & visa.

I took a month off and went to VN to accompany her to the interview. We received her visa 8 days after the interview and we could have flown back sooner but I did not want to take a chance with the visa. At the time of her interview, the State Dept had problems with printing visas so I planned it out accordingly.

3 hours ago, JJtheJetPlane said:

The case status now says "Ready" but we haven't received an email or mail from the Consulate yet. I read on some older threads that you need the invitation letter that they send you in order to get the vaccinations and medical exam. Is it possible to use the interview appointment confirmation instead of the invitation letter? Have an appointment to get vaccinations on Saturday.

Thanks again for all your help guys!

It's not an invitation letter but rather a one-page letter that they called Packet 3.

You will need that letter for vaccinations and med exam as per one of my earlier posts here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.