abum

How soon can LPR child of USC gets citizenship upon arrival? (INA 320)

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi.

Just curious regarding INA 320. 

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-9983.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/us-citizenship/Child-Citizenship-2000-Sections-320-322-INA.html

How to Show That a Child Is Residing or Has Resided in the United States:

Mere entry into the United States or a temporary visit - even if on an immigrant visa - does not meet INA Section 320’s requirement that the child be "residing in the United States." Determining whether a child is residing/has resided in the United States typically rests on an analysis of both the character and the duration of the stay. A parent may be required to provide supporting evidence regarding a child’s stay in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent(s) in support of the child’s passport application.

Any thoughts on how soon upon arrival in the USA that the USC parent can request for a US passport for the child?

If anyone had gone through this, can you share some pointers?

Like what documents you need to provide, and how did you start the process? 

How long did it take from the beginning of the process up to the delivery of the US passport?

sorry, should have clarified that.

LPR child = entered with immigrant visa, so the child will get I-551 stamp upon entry, which will make the child LPR upon arrival into the USA.

Child  = below 18 

Yes, the child will come and live with the USC parent throughout the time in the USA.

referring to my original post, focusing on what i had quoted, i am curious of how one go about proving that the child is already residing in the USA (especially upon entry).

and whether the form can be submitted day 2 upon arrival.

Googling the 2 search strings will point to the 2 links i shared above (DHS and USCIS links talking about INA320).

• 2 months later...

Now i am in the situation where in need to apply for citizenship based on INA 320, how do i go about providing the necessary documentations - and to where?

Documents i have so far:

Passport with I-551 stamp for the child. 

US passport for the USC parent. 

SSN card for USC parent. 

Lease agreement for the USC parent

And that is about it. (not sure how to prove that the child is residing with the USC parent though - if i am asked about it).

So should i mail a copy of those documents to Dept of State ? 

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, HiFi21 said:

Hey Abum, please tell us how the process goes for you and what proof you needed for residency and how long it took. 

i will do this maybe next week or so. will update once i have submitted the application.

• 8 months later...
On 9/27/2018 at 11:14 PM, HiFi21 said:

Hey Abum, please tell us how the process goes for you and what proof you needed for residency and how long it took. 

Are you done with your process?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.