zamardii12

Has anyone's fiance' had a last-minute change of heart scare?

37 posts in this topic

I think if someone had no fears or worries about leaving everything they know behind when moving to a brand new culture with lots of hurdles ahead of them then that would be worrying. This is not an easy process and even though you will be together, there will be challenges in the near future. Let her feel those emotions and be supportive and reassuring, yet give her breathing room. Communication is so important. Share each of your fears, goals, and happy points. Try to remind each other why you started this process and the life you want together. Also, I think some thing couples counseling is a bad thing or shows weakness, but it was one of the best things my husband and I did after he moved here. We learned the correct ways to communicate and share our feelings while we were both adjusting to this new life. We had a strong relationship, but it helped us make it stronger. It also helped us to make lists of what needs to be done now, so that we don't get lost in the big picture of everything that needs to be done. It can be overwhelming. 

That is just a slew of things that I wish someone had told me when we were going through the K1 and AOS process. Good luck on your journey! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
4 hours ago, zamardii12 said:

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but it's relevant. 

So, we are now in the final stages of schedule medical and the interview and my fiance just was crying and talking about how scared she is. She said she felt unsure about everything and scared that we rushed things, she would feel more confident if we lived together longer beforehand, or whatever... and I am here reading what she's typing and my heart stops because i'm thinking to myself "we've been waiting for 8 months for this moment and NOW you're telling me this?"

So anyway, we talked and she said "You always know how to calm me down." Everything seems fine now, but has anyone gone through this? I am afraid this is some deeper thing. Has anyone gone through this and did it come back or have to address it again later? 

I had a close friend whose fiance got severely anxious as the last few steps came as well... He just had to keep her calm and be supportive through the process. They've been in the US now almost 3 weeks and all is good.

It's normal as they start to realize that wow it's getting real... just be supportive and by their side, so to speak.

K1 / K2 Visa

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Kyiv, Ukriane

I-129-F mailed to USCIS 2017-11-10

Case Status received (NOA1) by USCIS: 2017-11-14

Check cashed: 2017-11-17

Case Received Email Notification: 2017-11-17

Case status available on myUSCIS: 2017-11-20

NOA1 Hardcopy received by mail: 2017-11-24

NOA2 Approval (204 days): 2018-06-06

Approval status updated on  new website: 2018-06-08

-- no updates on old website, no text, no email --

NOA2 Hardcopy received by mail: 2018-06-12

NVC Case Number Generated (21 days since NOA2): 2018-06-27

Case Left NVC: 2018-07-10 (13 days at NVC)

Case Received by Embassy: 2018-07-12 (2 days travel time!)

Medical Exam: 2018-07-16

Interview: 2018-08-08 (Approved)

Entry: 2018-09-19 (Chicago POE)

Marriage: 2018-10-12

"New" Case Status website: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

"Old" Case Status website: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

being scared and getting cold feet is not new or unusual. She is leaving everything she knew, her home, her friends, her family and career to start from ZERO at a totally new country with a different culture and language, which she is not well versed.  If you were the one doing that, you would be scared too. I know the feeling. 

All you can do is ease her and make her feel safe and secured. Remind her that you will be there with her and assure her (not only words but with action too). I came in July 2017, a secured fab job in my field, have amazing in-laws, my wife loves me dearly and so do I, but at times, I feel lonely and I get scared.  But every time, i feel that way i speak out my heart to my wifey and she calms me and makes me smile. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Its great that she knows it is a big adjustment. 

The adjustment with immigration is tough. My husband lived in the US for 6 years before he moved back but he was so restricted by the immigration process for the first 6 months on what he could do and could not do. Not working and just sitting at home waiting for paperwork is hard on your spouse, especially for someone that had such an established life in their home country. I could tell my husband was getting antsy towards the end of the waiting process but making plans to fill this time will help.

Building relationships with other couples so she feels like she can have some friends to hang out with. We planned a lot of game nights with friends (it was winter during his AOS transition) and just finding ways to stay busy on one income. Technology is great and really helps you not feel too far away from friends/family and a family visit is only a plane ride away (once you have your AP/EAD card). 

The one thing you can't do though it force someone to give it all up and move here, its a large sacrife. Hopefully you guys figure it out. 

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
8 hours ago, zamardii12 said:

There is no question how we feel about each other. That is very clear. Her concern is that we haven't lived with each other yet, and that the time apart has been a lot and maybe she has changed, and afraid that we went too fast. I honestly don't feel that way and I think it's just her fears overclouding her judgement, because after I talked to her about it she seemed fine. 

While agreeing to be with you in future did she not thought this through? Was she living in a dream world that will file the petition and see what happens in future. I have seen people on forums dying to reunite with thier love including me. Im sure you guys might have met in person couple of times spent time togther. Marriage it not a trial thing that lets try first waste each others time them decide. You guys are in love she shouldn't feel this way to begin with. Having mixed feeling and panic is one thing. Losing the whole vibe is another. Imagine how she gonna persue the interview when she's in this state of mind right now. My blood is boiling after reading this. Im counting every single second to be with him. How can someone feel this way when you in love. Sorry if i said something wrong 

Timeline
1 minute ago, N-o-l-a said:

It must be interesting to be so closed-minded and not be able to put yourself in other people's shoes.  Do you truly believe everyone experiences love the same way?

What i feel is when someone take sucha  big decision, life altering, one does give a deep thought. Its not that someone strange is calling her to spend rest of her life with him. Why painc now and make it more complicating. I feel sorry for this guy. Discussing about relationship is one thing.. Saying we took a wrong decison at last point is backing off and clearly a huge thing. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sanjana dogra said:

What i feel is when someone take sucha  big decision, life altering, one does give a deep thought. Its not that someone strange is calling her to spend rest of her life with him. Why painc now and make it more complicating. I feel sorry for this guy. Discussing about relationship is one thing.. Saying we took a wrong decison at last point is backing off and clearly a huge thing. 

That's not entirely what's going on here. When we talked on the phone today, she made it clear to me that her feelings towards me haven't changed, but her life as she knows it, her parents, her friends, and everything she is familiar with she is leaving behind. She also mentioned that there are feelings and things that she can't explain going through her right now. She had a moment where she got scared and that's a completely normal reaction in my opinion. We have talked since then and everything is fine and she thanked me and said I always know what to say to calm her down. I am sure it won't be the last time, but she can back out at any moment. I'm not making her come here, but we can at least talk about our feelings no matter how inconvenient it may be. I think a big factor too is that we haven't seen each other in 8 months. That's a long time to be apart, and then suddenly we'll be together day and night once she gets here on top of all the other stuff. 

It's not as simple as you make it out to be. Leaving everything you know behind along with the stress of the interview and the shots she needs to have done before her medical (she hates needles) compounds this stuff. 

Edited by zamardii12

Note:

Just because you haven't panicked yet or aren't panicking doesn't mean it's wrong for others to do so.

My husbands Canadian, we saw each other like every two-three months, he'd spend anywhere from 3 days to a week at the house. We tried to treat the last few visits more as living there. No going out to the beach, no romantic dinners. Just being at home together with my daughter and living like a family.

After the visa was approved, I could totally tell he was nervous. It wasn't that he didn't want to come, it's that he was leaving everything he knew. He stalled on buying plane tickets. Never straight out told me, but I knew. He grew up in a small town, he basically lived with his parents his whole life outside of 3 years in college, and now he's moving to go be with the person he wants to marry and be a family. We had dated for about 2 and a half years at that point, known each other for 6 years.

Once he was here and moved in he calmed down after a day or so. He's since gone back to Canada for his grandmothers memorial and I can tell you he was as happy as can be once he got back because he would rather be here than there. 
So as a comparison, you have him scared and nervous coming in for the first time into the country to live with his fiance and get married. The second time after being married for over 2 years, he comes back and it's a like a "oh my god, I am soooo glad I'm home, let's crash on the sofa".

This isn't a  little change,  it's not even a regular sized life choice. That is a HUGE life choice. Even regular sized life  choices can shake people up. Quitting a job, moving to a new city, having a baby.
Some people never leave their job because they're too scared they won't get another one. They stay unhappy in a job because of fear. A job is soooo much less than uprooting your life to be with your loved one.

I'm a USC and I can tell you I'd be terrified, and I'm not even close to my family and I don't have friend outside of work. Other than my sister, I have nothing that ties me down here, but I would still be scared to leave what is familiar to me.

You can 100% be scared of leaving those you love, family you've been around your whole life, friends, etc and also want to be with your fiance/spouse/whatever while feeling all of this.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

We were already married LOL and my wife still went through that stage.  She delayed a few weeks after visa to say goodbye's, etc.

It's hard to leave everything behind for the unknown.  Just remember that when she arrives there will be a transition time while she gets adjusted - one of the most common issues I see on here and indeed applied to us was a new immigrant feels isolated and lonely for awhile - in a completely unknown environment without a lot of freedom of movement at first while the spouse is going to work etc is a tough place to be.

Some things that work:  Get her out - introduce her to your friends and family and incorporate her into your day to day life.  Most important:  Make sure she can always contact her friends and family back home anytime she needs to.   Get her on the road and mobile ASAP - it makes a huge difference.  If possible - leave work and take her on lunch dates, or come home and have lunch with her.  And most of all, check in with her through the day as much as possible - you're all she has.

What you are experiencing isn't about you at all nor is it cold feet.  It's perfectly normal.  Good luck!

Timeline
2 hours ago, zamardii12 said:

That's not entirely what's going on here. When we talked on the phone today, she made it clear to me that her feelings towards me haven't changed, but her life as she knows it, her parents, her friends, and everything she is familiar with she is leaving behind. She also mentioned that there are feelings and things that she can't explain going through her right now. She had a moment where she got scared and that's a completely 

2 hours ago, zamardii12 said:

That's not entirely what's going on here. When we talked on the phone today, she made it clear to me that her feelings towards me haven't changed, but her life as she knows it, her parents, her friends, and everything she is familiar with she is leaving behind. She also mentioned that there are feelings and things that she can't explain going through her right now. She had a moment where she got scared and that's a completely normal reaction in my opinion. We have talked since then and everything is fine and she thanked me and said I always know what to say to calm her down. I am sure it won't be the last time, but she can back out at any moment. I'm not making her come here, but we can at least talk about our feelings no matter how inconvenient it may be. I think a big factor too is that we haven't seen each other in 8 months. That's a long time to be apart, and then suddenly we'll be together day and night once she gets here on top of all the other stuff. 

It's not as simple as you make it out to be. Leaving everything you know behind along with the stress of the interview and the shots she needs to have done before her medical (she hates needles) compounds this stuff. 

Perfect you guys sorted it. Its just that i hate seeing a someone in love coming so far and thinking bout giving up in the end. Bless you both with a lovely future ahead. Im gonna be bummed to leaving my family behind as im the only child. But guess thats what im doing right now in this waiting period preparing them and myself so that later on i wont panic and make my man worry about all this. Again everyone is different. Good luck you both

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Same thing happened to me. Leaving my family and moving away from them to a place I hardly know.. its taken some time..! Still he catches me in the shower crying or just in bed. Its a big adjustment thats for sure. Lots of patience and love!

06/01/18 : Filed for AOS, EAD, AP

06/03/18 : Package delivered by USPS

06/15/18 : Received AOS AP, AND EAD NOA1 hard copies in mail

06/15/18: Received rejection letter for AP (WILL BE RE FILING)

07/02/18 : Biometrics appointment letter in mail

07/09/18 : Biometrics:D

09/10/18 AP approval in mail

09/18/18 : Received AP card in mail 

10/23/18 : Interview ready to be scheduled 

12/03/18 : NOA EAD Approval in Mail

12/07/18 : Receive EAD Card In mail

xx/xx/18 : Interview 

xx/xx/18 : Notice of Approval on I-485 in mail

xx/xx/18 : Card received in mail. Yay!:jest:

5 hours ago, zamardii12 said:

believe me I am ( was) in the same situation like your fiancé. before we got NOA2 I had the phase where I told J to just withdraw the petition and we will wait until the time for him to go back to Germany.

this is not the 1st time for me to move across country, but the older you get the harder it is. when I was 18 I had nothing to loose, it was so easy to move across pacific no burden. Now ! I have more things to concern, I've stick my " root " in the ground, I've built environment that comfort me. I have my comfort zone !

I have my break down when I can't sleep, I would be so sad when I am with my friends as I will leave them... BUT ! it's normal.... I am sure your fiancé having this phase too...the closer it is the more things will be going on her head.

this is what J tries to arrange so I won't get " bored " when I am there, he bought me car ( give me little independence ) he signed me up to fitness and yoga class for ladies so I would have new friends... activities... maybe try to arrange some activities or routine for her so when she is there she wont be lonely or bored ?

I saw yours is from Hungary, I know someone who is doing this process together with me from Hungary too...if you want you can message me and I can give your her contact details, so when your fiancé needs to talk with someone who speaks her language to make little home feeling...she can talk to my friends

all the best for you.

ROC

- Mailed June 27,2020

- Delivered July 1, 2020

- SMS with Case Nr. SRC  and Check cashed July 8, 2020 

- NOA received July 20,2020- NOA dated July 14,2020

-Fingersprinting applied notification - Aug 10,2020

- Card being produced - Nov 2, 2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.