Todd L F

Where to marry?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello all,

I am near the end of this daunting process and planning on traveling to the states next month after my interview which is in 2 weeks. Me and my fiancé are expecting a baby in late September so this basically put our big wedding plans aside so we agreed to just do something small at a reception so we are legally married and to have a large wedding a few years down the road. Now my problem is this, we will be living in South Carolina and it seems the laws there about marrying foreign nationals are very strict. They need social security number of both participants and of course I will not have this just yet. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or know of a state close to SC where we can marry. Not had much luck with researching online beleive it or not. 

Thank you! 

Edited by Todd L F

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Todd L F said:

Hello all,

I am near the end of this daunting process and planning on traveling to the states next month after my interview which is in 2 weeks. Me and my fiancé are expecting a baby in late September so this basically put our big wedding plans aside so we agreed to just do something small at a reception so we are legally married and to have a large wedding a few years down the road. Now my problem is this, we will be living in South Carolina and it seems the laws there about marrying foreign nationals are very strict. They need social security number of both participants and of course I will not have this just yet. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or know of a state close to SC where we can marry. Not had much luck with researching online beleive it or not. 

Thank you! 

you can apply for SSN as soon as you do POE, all you will need is birthcertificate, i-94 and passport with k-1. you may get a manual verification, but according to USCIS it shouldnt take as long as it has before. 

Georgia is close and they do as in Alabama from my understanding. NO SSN required. We got married, got officiant and got marriage certificates in less than 1 day w/o SS#. 

Good luck

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Because I live here I have to throw this out. Fly to Las Vegas, NV and do a drive thru wedding. Complete with photos for around 150 bucks, and It's pretty easy to get married in Vegas. Plus marriage certificate available quickly ( Next Day Usually)

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Loren Y said:

Because I live here I have to throw this out. Fly to Las Vegas, NV and do a drive thru wedding. Complete with photos for around 150 bucks, and It's pretty easy to get married in Vegas.

Can you get a marriage certificate the same day there or do you need to wait to be send to your home address?

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Timeline
Just now, Alabamak1 said:

Can you get a marriage certificate the same day there or do you need to wait to be send to your home address?

I just updated my post with that info, but yes Marriage certificate is available quickly. If you do the courthouse wedding in the morning I have heard of people getting them the same day, but next day for sure. 15.00 each. As soon as you see it registered online, the certificate is available, and it is quick.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Because I live here I have to throw this out. Fly to Las Vegas, NV and do a drive thru wedding. Complete with photos for around 150 bucks, and It's pretty easy to get married in Vegas. Plus marriage certificate available quickly ( Next Day Usually)

My fiancé is heavily pregnant so flying is not an option unfortunately.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

you can apply for SSN as soon as you do POE, all you will need is birthcertificate, i-94 and passport with k-1. you may get a manual verification, but according to USCIS it shouldnt take as long as it has before. 

Georgia is close and they do as in Alabama from my understanding. NO SSN required. We got married, got officiant and got marriage certificates in less than 1 day w/o SS#. 

Good luck

Thank you, which state did you get married in? 

Timeline

Georgia is close, nothing but 3 hours max and if you call the courthouse in advance and find out what i just posted

Timeline

Yes, I didn't consider that. and it's a long drive. just start searching close neighboring states, or I'm sure in the next few hours you will have plenty of suggestions from people on VJ. This is the best forum to be a member of in my opinion, has saved me a lot of headache, and I have just begun.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

Good luck

So how long would it take to get SSN as we only have 90 days. Plus want to file for AOS as soon as I get there so I can start working sooner.

Just now, Loren Y said:

Yes, I didn't consider that. and it's a long drive. just start searching close neighboring states, or I'm sure in the next few hours you will have plenty of suggestions from people on VJ. This is the best forum to be a member of in my opinion, has saved me a lot of headache, and I have just begun.

I agree this forum is brilliant!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Todd L F said:

Thank you, which state did you get married in? 

We did it in Alabama, but no point on doing it here, when Georgia border is closer. Try to go to a midsize town or city. Should be able to get it done quick

Congratulations on both the baby and the end stages of the process. It seems you're just a couple of weeks behind my fiance as well. That's odd that you have to have social security numbers to get married but why don't you apply for your social security number within a couple of weeks of arriving? It usually only takes a couple of weeks to arrive and should be there by then time you guys want to get married. I'm not sure why they're being so strict. Come to Georgia where I'm from lol, all we need is my license and his passport and possibly our birth certificates.

Good luck, hope all goes well for you. Sounds like your plans are about the same as ours.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

Step by step guide for applying for the K1 it's super easy.

Timeline

OP, there you go....you got a common UK VJ here and she can take a lead on the answers :P

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Todd L F said:

So how long would it take to get SSN as we only have 90 days. Plus want to file for AOS as soon as I get there so I can start working sooner.

I agree this forum is brilliant!

We have not received it yet (SS# that is), but you can apply for it as soon as you have done POE. Marriage in Georgia in 1 day, get plenty of marriage certificates and do AOS in the same week. 

We did SS#, marriage license and certificate and AOS in the same week. The paperwork was ready for her just to sign and got send out pretty quick. My wife has not been here 2 weeks and we already got email notification of AOS NOA-1 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.