Cybergnostic

Son of a permanent resident issue

6 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm 30yrs old male from Serbia, Europe, unmarried. My mother is married to US citizen (she went through K1 program) for about 3 years now. She is a permanent resident, and next spring (March 2019.), she will become a citizen.
I would like to move to US, but all looks confusing and overwhelming for now. Can anyone tell me what would be the most efficient way for me to get US visa? How long could or should I wait to get there? What should I do, and which program would be the fastest one for me? Thanks in advance.

Filed: Timeline

Your mother could have filed for you 3 years ago when she became a green card holder.  

There is only one way for your mother to petition for you.  You would be in the F2a category.  You must stay unmarried until you get a green card in the US.  If you get marry while she is an LPR, the case will be closed and can not be reopen.  The process will take 7-8 years to complete, and there is no way to make it shorter.  

When your mother becomes a USC, your case will change to the F1 category where the wait is about 7-8 years. 

Follow the Guides on VJ or go to the USCIS website.

3 minutes ago, Jojo92122 said:

Your mother could have filed for you 3 years ago when she became a green card holder.  

There is only one way for your mother to petition for you.  You would be in the F2a category.  You must stay unmarried until you get a green card in the US.  If you get marry while she is an LPR, the case will be closed and can not be reopen.  The process will take 7-8 years to complete, and there is no way to make it shorter.  

When your mother becomes a USC, your case will change to the F1 category where the wait is about 7-8 years. 

Follow the Guides on VJ or go to the USCIS website.

^F2B

to add, if your mother becomes a citizen then it’s ok to get married, but then the F3 category you would move to has a much longer wait (about 14 years total)

Thanks a lot for your answers. Just to clear something,

The process will take 7-8 years to complete

then, the status change (from F2a to F1) is just a formality, since it takes the same amount of time?

Would it be possible for my stepfather to petition for me in any way, and if yes, would it make any difference?

Filed: Timeline
2 minutes ago, Cybergnostic said:

Thanks a lot for your answers. Just to clear something,

then, the status change (from F2a to F1) is just a formality, since it takes the same amount of time?

Would it be possible for my stepfather to petition for me in any way, and if yes, would it make any difference?

Similar, not same.  The F2b and F1 categories have their own wait time.  It's just a coincidence that they are both around 7-8 years right now.  One can be quicker than the other, but there is no way to predict what may happen in 7-8 years.  The wait is for those currently getting visas.  Your wait can be longer since that's the trend.

Your stepfather can not file for you since you were over age 18 when he married your mother.  Your mother is the only way for you to immigrate to the US, there is no other way.

Edited by Jojo92122

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.