C911

I-130 questions (merged threads)

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Read the I-864 and the instructions.  Your potential issues will lie here.

You will need to have filed US tax returns for the last 3 years if you had an income.

You will need to establish a US domicile or show evidence of your intent to establish one.

You may need a Joint Sponsor if you do not meet the financial requirements.

5 minutes ago, Jojo92122 said:

Read the I-864 and the instructions.  Your potential issues will lie here.

You will need to have filed US tax returns for the last 3 years if you had an income.

You will need to establish a US domicile or show evidence of your intent to establish one.

You may need a Joint Sponsor if you do not meet the financial requirements.

Do i stilk need to have filed tax returns if i worked as a free lancer being paid in cash as a private tutor?

16 minutes ago, C911 said:

I am a US citizen petitioning for my spouse who has a small misdemeanor on his record.

Is there anything i can do (hire a lawyer etc...) to help me avoid problems in filing?

Has anyone had or heard of such cases which went smoothly?

It all depends on the charge and what the actual conviction was. He would need paperwork to show about the charge and what the actual disposition of it was. 

3 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

It all depends on the charge and what the actual conviction was. He would need paperwork to show about the charge and what the actual disposition of it was. 

Long story short he borrowed money (which he had access to) from work and by the time he went and told his boss about it, the first had already contacted law enforcement.

Charges were dropped when his boss knew that there were no bad intentions but the government still had to press charges. He stayed at the police station for 20 days and was released on bail. But i am quite sure that the record will have some kind of "theft" meaning to it

2 minutes ago, C911 said:

Long story short he borrowed money (which he had access to) from work and by the time he went and told his boss about it, the first had already contacted law enforcement.

Charges were dropped when his boss knew that there were no bad intentions but the government still had to press charges. He stayed at the police station for 20 days and was released on bail. But i am quite sure that the record will have some kind of "theft" meaning to it

He would need to get the disposition(final outcome) of that charge from the clerk of court on paper preferably notarized.

But other than that I don't see a problem here at all. This is not a AWA charge so there shouldn't be any issue at all, you just got to make sure you disclose it when you file. 

1 minute ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

He would need to get the disposition(final outcome) of that charge from the clerk of court on paper preferably notarized.

But other than that I don't see a problem here at all. This is not a AWA charge so there shouldn't be any issue at all, you just got to make sure you disclose it when you file. 

what is AWA?

10 minutes ago, C911 said:

The ONLY time something like this will not go smoothly is if you DO NOT disclose it because they will then deny your petition. 

We had a case like this last month when a poster had a charge from the 80's that was dismissed. He forgot about it and didn't disclose it when he sent in the packet. Some how it got approved and everything was ultimately was sent to the embassy. It was then denied after the interview when his fiance was given an approval at the interview. 

So now he is getting married next week and filing for the CR1 Visa because of the charge and NVC mess up. BTW he had a lawyer as well 

Edited by Cyberfx1024

5 minutes ago, C911 said:

I thought also crimes involving moral turpitude were on the list.

Depending on the crime really but something like this that got dismissed would be ok. Something like assault, murder, manslaughter then you might have an issue.

But be would need paperwork showing it was dismissed or the actual disposition.

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.