ahmedahmadyar

Social Security and Employment

70 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

I've never heard of a state issuing a driver's license with just a social security card but they might exist. 

Not to go off topic but this is what the DMV website says:

How to get a driver's license with the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV):

• Visit your local CA DMV office.
  • Complete a Driver License or Identification Card Application (Form DL 44).
  • Provide proof of your identity, Social Security Number, and residency.
  • Pay the $35 driver's license fee.
  • Pass the written test.
  • Pass the road test.

1 hour ago, ahmedahmadyar said:

Not to go off topic but this is what the DMV website says:

How to get a driver's license with the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV):

• Visit your local CA DMV office.
  • Complete a Driver License or Identification Card Application (Form DL 44).
  • Provide proof of your identity, Social Security Number, and residency.
  • Pay the $35 driver's license fee.
  • Pass the written test.
  • Pass the road test.

I have a CA license and they definitely didn't accept just the SSC without an EAD and a utility bill as well. You can't get a license there before the EAD (or another type of proof for legal status or US citizenship), I promise you, unless you're going for an AB60 license for illegal immigrants but it's obviously not a valid ID for anything but driving and is not accepted for i-9.

8 hours ago, geowrian said:

Sometimes they go very in-depth, sometimes they don't. It all depends on the individual's circumstances and the IO they get.

Hopefully ours is easy but either way we'll be prepared. I just hope we get someone nice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
12 hours ago, Brittani said:

Ok will do. Do they actually ask for and look through all that stuff at the interviews?

I think the point of gathering things for removing conditions as you go along is so you won't get down the road two years and wish you hadn't thrown out that 2018 and 2019 car insurance that had both your names on it or your lease from a place where you no longer live. If you have enough samples of joint things with different dates to put in your ROC package, you won't have an interview. 

8 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

I think the point of gathering things for removing conditions as you go along is so you won't get down the road two years and wish you hadn't thrown out that 2018 and 2019 car insurance that had both your names on it or your lease from a place where you no longer live. If you have enough samples of joint things with different dates to put in your ROC package, you won't have an interview. 

That would be so awesome but I won't get my hopes up for it. Luckily, I am one of those people who save everything like that but I throw it in a drawer so I'll just be more organized. Did you keep all your stuff like paperwork for the K1, etc or trash it once you became naturalized?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Brittani said:

Did you keep all your stuff like paperwork for the K1, etc or trash it once you became naturalized?

We made exact photocopies of each application before mailing including the check, mailing receipt. They are bound in pocket folders with brads and still in the file cabinet.  The NOAs are stuck in the pockets. We were minimalists with evidence...good evidence but not inches thick like some people do. We never got one RFE. The application folders take up little room,  so yeah we still have the records.

Nobody interviews for ROC but RFEs happen for lack of evidence or two-year span of proofs. Well it would be rare to interview for ROC. They would have to be very, very suspicious that you never lived together or shared accounts, taxes, etc.

1 minute ago, Wuozopo said:

We made exact photocopies of each application before mailing including the check, mailing receipt. They are bound in pocket folders with brads and still in the file cabinet.  The NOAs are stuck in the pockets. We were minimalists with evidence...good evidence but not inches thick like some people do. We never got one RFE. The application folders take up little room,  so yeah we still have the records.

Nobody interviews for ROC but RFEs happen for lack of evidence or two-year span of proofs. Well it would be rare to interview for ROC. They would have to be very, very suspicious that you never lived together or shared accounts, taxes, etc.

We talked about it and we were going to put everything in binders and set it up. We actually have a two year old daughter together and he had a good idea of keeping them set aside and passing them onto her one day just look through and see what all we went through. She may find them interesting one day.

Timeline
7 hours ago, Orangesapples said:

I have a CA license and they definitely didn't accept just the SSC without an EAD and a utility bill as well. You can't get a license there before the EAD (or another type of proof for legal status or US citizenship), I promise you, unless you're going for an AB60 license for illegal immigrants but it's obviously not a valid ID for anything but driving and is not accepted for i-9.

So USCIS expects us to sit on our butts all day for 4/5 months before we can even get a driving license? The system is so inefficient it’s no wonder people go out and work under table.

13 minutes ago, ahmedahmadyar said:

So USCIS expects us to sit on our butts all day for 4/5 months before we can even get a driving license? The system is so inefficient it’s no wonder people go out and work under table.

If being able to drive, work, and be independent  promptly is important, then K1 is not the right visa to get.

Edited by Lemonslice

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

If being able to drive, work, and be independent  promptly is important, then K1 is not the right visa to get.

It’s more a matter of wanting to start my career and get on with my life. Had I come in on a CR1 it would have taken 4/5 months longer than a K1 which puts me back in the same position.

8 minutes ago, ahmedahmadyar said:

It’s more a matter of wanting to start my career and get on with my life. Had I come in on a CR1 it would have taken 4/5 months longer than a K1 which puts me back in the same position.

I would not say it's  the same, or even a similar, position - I came on a spousal visa and was able to continue working for my employer. I could have started with a local employer in a few days also. Received my driver's license after a few weeks.  I was never "unable" to work since I could do it at home, and in the USA, as soon as I moved - my career was not halted and i was able to live my life, earn money, travel freely... 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

I would not say it's  the same, or even a similar, position - I came on a spousal visa and was able to continue working for my employer. I could have started with a local employer in a few days also. Received my driver's license after a few weeks.  I was never "unable" to work since I could do it at home, and in the USA, as soon as I moved - my career was not halted and i was able to live my life, earn money, travel freely... 

I know you can start working straight away on a CR1 but coming in on a K1, which for me took 8 months, and then waiting an extra 4 months before you can start working means it still takes 12 months altogether, and the CR1 visa itself takes 12+ months - there's no difference. I am a recent graduate, I didn't start my career in England because I knew I wasn't going to be staying there hence I took the K1 route.

Filed: Timeline
5 hours ago, ahmedahmadyar said:

This is what you choose by going the K-1 route.  People who choose the K-1 route are choosing a path that does not allow them to do many things until they receive the EAD/AP which is taking 5-6 month.  

You could have chosen the CR-1 route that does not have the K-1 restrictions, but you choose the K-1 route.  This was your choice.

4 hours ago, ahmedahmadyar said:

No, the CR-1 would not have put you in the same position.  You choose the K-1 route with the restrictions so you could come early.  If you had chosen the CR-1 route, you would have arrived here without the restrictions and the need for the EAD/AP.  During those 4/5 months, you could have been making money in your country.

The pros and cons between the K-1 and CR-1 are well known.  You choose your path.  Crying that the K-1 is unfair when you choose it over the CR-1 is disingenuous.   You want the pros of both the K-1 and the CR-1 without willing to accept the cons of the K-1 path you choose.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jojo92122 said:

This is what you choose by going the K-1 route.  People who choose the K-1 route are choosing a path that does not allow them to do many things until they receive the EAD/AP which is taking 5-6 month.  

You could have chosen the CR-1 route that does not have the K-1 restrictions, but you choose the K-1 route.  This was your choice.

No, the CR-1 would not have put you in the same position.  You choose the K-1 route with the restrictions so you could come early.  If you had chosen the CR-1 route, you would have arrived here without the restrictions and the need for the EAD/AP.  During those 4/5 months, you could have been making money in your country.

The pros and cons between the K-1 and CR-1 are well known.  You choose your path.  Crying that the K-1 is unfair when you choose it over the CR-1 is disingenuous.   You want the pros of both the K-1 and the CR-1 without willing to accept the cons of the K-1 path you choose.

It's not about making money, I'm not struggling financially. Like I said, it's matter of wanting to start my career, to build my credit score, to move forward with my life, buy a house etc. Yes I could have been making money in my home country in those extra 4/5 months but none of that would help me when I come here. I have to start my career from square one. Does that make sense to you? So yes I will complain that the K-1 route is unfair, that's my opinion on it. The CR-1 route is no better, like I explained, and that is also my opinion.

Filed: Timeline
1 minute ago, ahmedahmadyar said:

It's not about making money, I'm not struggling financially. Like I said, it's matter of wanting to start my career, to build my credit score, to move forward with my life, buy a house etc. Yes I could have been making money in my home country in those extra 4/5 months but none of that would help me when I come here. I have to start my career from square one. Does that make sense to you? So yes I will complain that the K-1 route is unfair, that's my opinion on it. The CR-1 route is no better, like I explained, and that is also my opinion.

You choose your path, so accept the cons with the pros.  You are coming off as a whiner who wants the pros of the K-1 over the CR-1 but unwilling to accept the accompanying cons.  If you thought the K-1 route is unfair, then you shouldn't have taken it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.