ahmedahmadyar

Social Security and Employment

70 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
17 hours ago, ahmedahmadyar said:

You won't get it upon entry, you will have to apply for it at the social security office a couple of weeks after you enter. Technically yes, it is temporary. There are three types:

Type 1: Unrestricted, can work anywhere 

Type 2: Restricted, can work but only with permission from DHS (in the form of an EAD)

Type 3: Can't work, given to those who need a social security card for other purposes like opening a bank account, obtaining driving license etc.

My understanding was that those who entered on a K1 would be given the third type, but as @TNTidaho explained, we get the second type, which makes perfect sense.

Kinda doesn't matter what it says, if you don't have an EAD or a Greencard you can't work...so I'm not sure why your getting hung up on the chance of it saying otherwise....

1 hour ago, ahmedahmadyar said:

Man I waited two weeks for no reason..I printed off my i94 the day after POE and thought I still had to wait the two weeks -.-

2 weeks is still plenty of time until the I-94 runs out so you are still fine. but obviously the sooner you get it out of the way, the better. at least it was for my peace of mind! :D

ps - i hope the mods can update the guide on here about it though because that still says to wait two weeks.

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 hour ago, javadown2 said:

Kinda doesn't matter what it says, if you don't have an EAD or a Greencard you can't work...so I'm not sure why your getting hung up on the chance of it saying otherwise....

Because I was of the understanding that you could get hired for a job simply by presenting a social security card that states that you're allowed to work. I didn't know better, until I posted this question and it was explained to me by members of this forum that there are multiple screenings such as an e-verification that actually dictates whether or not one can work.

Additionally, I wasn't planning to play the system and actually go out there and get myself an illegal job, I posted this question out of curiosity.

6 hours ago, doggieandsam said:

No need to wait that long now. As soon as you are able to get your I-94 off their website (check here: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/), you are ready to go and apply for your SSN.

I applied for mine a day after I POE'd. I haven't even properly slept yet by then. :D

Ok, we'll look into that thanks!

6 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

It is not temporary in the sense of having an expiration date. You will not apply again,  as in start over with your I-94, visa, and get a new number. But anytime your immigration status changes or your name changes, it is best to go in and inform SSA.

I have been to SSA three times. 1) with K1 visa to get issued a SSN, 2) with greencard to show I was a permanent resident, 3)  with naturalization certificate because I was a US citizen. Each time, they mailed me a new version of my card because they changed my name slightly on the card to match immigration records. They said they are required to match the name on USCIS documents. The changes were from no middle initial,  to middle initial, to full middle name because that's how USCIS had issued my documents. 

Awesome, so when you do the remove conditions that doesn't really change anything other than give you a more permanent status? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Brittani said:

Awesome, so when you do the remove conditions that doesn't really change anything other than give you a more permanent status? 

Your first greencard expires after two years because they want to make it a little harder to fake a marriage for the purpose of a greencard then go your separate ways.. So you have to show them again after two years that you are still in that marriage, living together, commingling your money so they will give you a 10 year greencard. In my opinion, removing conditions just gives you a longer span greencard. Your permanent resident privileges are exactly the same. Once you get the 10 year, you simply renew without proving marriage again.

The SSN (topic of this thread) has nothing to do with immigration. They are a separate part of the government who administer your retirement benefits, Medicare, and other aid. BUT they do have to check with USCIS and make sure you are legal before they give you a number.  Your state driver license department has to do the same. It's all about cracking down on illegal immigrants.

Edited by Wuozopo

20 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Your first greencard expires after two years because they want to make it a little harder to fake a marriage for the purpose of a greencard then go your separate ways.. So you have to show them again after two years that you are still in that marriage, living together, commingling your money so they will give you a 10 year greencard. In my opinion, removing conditions just gives you a longer span greencard. Your permanent resident privileges are exactly the same. Once you get the 10 year, you simply renew without proving marriage again.

The SSN (topic of this thread) has nothing to do with immigration. They are a separate part of the government who administer your retirement benefits, Medicare, and other aid. BUT they do have to check with USCIS and make sure you are legal before they give you a number.  Your state driver license department has to do the same. It's all about cracking down on illegal immigrants.

Gotcha...which I understand the cracking down just sucks for the ones who do things properly and are in real relationships. So after you removed your conditions you apply for naturalization after your three year date of your first green card, right? Having to do the middle part is such an inconvenience but I totally understand why they do it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Brittani said:

Correct

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Brittani said:

Gotcha...which I understand the cracking down just sucks for the ones who do things properly and are in real relationships. So after you removed your conditions you apply for naturalization after your three year date of your first green card, right? Having to do the middle part is such an inconvenience but I totally understand why they do it.

Correct.  Greencard date + 3 yrs makes you eligible for citizenship. Save things in a file or shoe box that show both your names on it starting as soon as you marry, then you'll have a pile of proofs to choose when the time comes. (Will also come in handy for a greencard interview.) For ROC they want dates covering all the time, not just last minute before you file items. Adopt a dog? Get both names on the paper and save it in your file. Open a joint account? Save the  paperwork . Save stuff that you might normally discard. 

3 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Correct.  Greencard date + 3 yrs makes you eligible for citizenship. Save things in a file or shoe box that show both your names on it starting as soon as you marry, then you'll have a pile of proofs to choose when the time comes. (Will also come in handy for a greencard interview.) For ROC they want dates covering all the time, not just last minute before you file items. Adopt a dog? Get both names on the paper and save it in your file. Open a joint account? Save the  paperwork . Save stuff that you might normally discard. 

Ok will do. Do they actually ask for and look through all that stuff at the interviews?

3 hours ago, Brittani said:

Ok will do. Do they actually ask for and look through all that stuff at the interviews?

Sometimes they go very in-depth, sometimes they don't. It all depends on the individual's circumstances and the IO they get.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

7 hours ago, ahmedahmadyar said:

Because I was of the understanding that you could get hired for a job simply by presenting a social security card that states that you're allowed to work. 

Actually, even if the employer doesn't do e verify (many don't) a social security card by itself is still not enough for the purposes of I-9. It's only valid in a combination with another form of ID such as a state ID but good luck getting that without at least an EAD. You can just Google i9 and see the ID requirements, they're pretty straight forward and easy to understand. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
40 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Actually, even if the employer doesn't do e verify (many don't) a social security card by itself is still not enough for the purposes of I-9. It's only valid in a combination with another form of ID such as a state ID but good luck getting that without at least an EAD. You can just Google i9 and see the ID requirements, they're pretty straight forward and easy to understand. 

I did, all you need is a social security card and a drivers license, which can be obtained with a social security card.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.