darth vader

Is money in joint bank account enough for proof of funds?

8 posts in this topic

My U.S.C. wife is living with me in Canada. We have more than 80k USD in our joint account. Since my wife does not have a job in the U.S. would this fund be enough to meet the proof of funds requirement?

Would we still need a joint sponsor?

Edited by darth vader

You should not need a joint sponsor with 80k liquid assets and a family of 2 if you can document how long that money has been there (aka it's not a loan or gift)   

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

6 minutes ago, NikLR said:

You should not need a joint sponsor with 80k liquid assets and a family of 2 if you can document how long that money has been there (aka it's not a loan or gift)   

We have been drawing our paychecks in this account for past three years. So, it's not a gift.

I wonder if they require all this amount (80k) to have been in the account as far back as 1 year/6months? We only started full-time jobs six months ago or so, and most of this money was earned in last several months. Would this be an issue?

Edited by darth vader

Exactly...the CO makes the public charge decision based on the totality of the circumstances. Typically they like to see the money there for a period of time, but nobody knows for sure what they decide.

Also, be sure to look at US domicile since your USC spouse is living in Canada. Montreal is notoriously strict with this.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

19 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Exactly...the CO makes the public charge decision based on the totality of the circumstances. Typically they like to see the money there for a period of time, but nobody knows for sure what they decide.

Also, be sure to look at US domicile since your USC spouse is living in Canada. Montreal is notoriously strict with this.

My wife already has a job lined up in U.S. and we are pulling our hair out trying to decide if she should take it. We are 5 months in the I-130 petition and have a previous K1 denial (before we were married). If she moves now, we could be separated for more than 6 months. To complicate matters further we recently became Canadian PRs. If she chooses to move ahead of me (most likely option), I wonder if her traveling to see me every other week would be OK with Canadian border agents?

Filed: IR-2 Country: Russia
Timeline
4 hours ago, geowrian said:

4 hours ago, darth vader said:

My wife already has a job lined up in U.S. and we are pulling our hair out trying to decide if she should take it. We are 5 months in the I-130 petition and have a previous K1 denial (before we were married). If she moves now, we could be separated for more than 6 months. To complicate matters further we recently became Canadian PRs. If she chooses to move ahead of me (most likely option), I wonder if her traveling to see me every other week would be OK with Canadian border agents?

US domicile is absolutely important in your situation of a previous K1 denial and getting an approved I-130 IR-1 Immigrant Visa decision by the Consular Officer.  The US Citizen/Petitioner having strong ties to the USA with USA domicile and a USA job (and hang on to your savings) is greatly going to improve your case when you interview.

No one said this is going to be easy by being apart as a result of your USC wife establishing a USA residence with a USA job but that is part of this process really required for success.

I-130 NOA1 to Visa in hand is ~12 to 16 months. You said you are at 5 months.  That means if your wife takes the USA job now, the USA domicile will have been established for a meaningful 7 to 10 months before your interview.  

Your USC wife with a USA job and USA residence with driver license ID will have no problem visiting you in Canada.  The separation is the unbearable part.  But there really is a huge payoff of improving your success in getting a IR-1 Immigrant Visa as a Canadian by your USC wife taking the job in the USA at this time and visiting you in Canada.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.