harble

Limited Visa Duration of Stay

39 posts in this topic

It's fine to stay up to the date issued on your I-94. At the same time, staying longer than you state at POE or what you told the CO may create scrutiny for future visits.

Also, there appears to already be some decent scrutiny, hence the annotated visa. The annotation is not binding, but is guidance for the CBP officer.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
11 minutes ago, geowrian said:

It's fine to stay up to the date issued on your I-94. At the same time, staying longer than you state at POE or what you told the CO may create scrutiny for future visits.

Also, there appears to already be some decent scrutiny, hence the annotated visa. The annotation is not binding, but is guidance for the CBP officer.

There has been no insinuation/advice he should be anything less than 100% truthful at the PoE. 

He is scrutinized with good reason - he is an intending immigrant (in 7 years) asking for a non-immigrant visa. Staying in the country for 2 weeks more than he originally intended to, for tourism purposes, with his family who the consulate KNOWS about, while being entirely honest at PoE, will pass even the most severe of scrutiny, in my opinion, given that it happens 1000s of times a day and demonstrates RESPECT for US laws by leaving on time with respect to his I-94, not DISRESPECT as @az2014seems to feel. 

Edited by Teemo

2 minutes ago, Teemo said:

There has been no insinuation/advice he should be anything less than 100% truthful at the PoE. 

He is scrutinized with good reason - he is an intending immigrant (in 7 years) asking for a non-immigrant visa. Staying in the country for 2 weeks than he originally intended to, for tourism purposes, with his family who the consulate KNOWS about, while being entirely honest at PoE, will pass even the most severe of scrutiny, in my opinion, given that it happens 1000s of times a day and demonstrates RESPECT for US laws by leaving on time with respect to his I-94, not DISRESPECT as @az2014seems to feel. 

No disagreement from me. :)

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

OP, it would be really useful info if you come back and update what happens at entry ie what the CBP officer asks you and how much time you are given. These annotations seem really rare and the couple of people we’ve had on here with them haven’t come back again, it could be really useful to future posters to get that feedback.

FYI, from someone who claims to be a former CO (details provided in link, not anonymous username)  on a question about an annotated B visa. The bolded bits were in the original answer so her emphasis, not mine:

The B1 visa is for business, not for tourism. Your son may briefly visit another place in the US before going home, but the primary purpose for his trip - and most of the time that he is in the US - must be at the seminar and its location. He cannot do extended tourist travel.

The consular officer who approved the visa clearly was concerned about the likelihood of his wanting to stay or work in the US. If he would ever expect to qualify for another US visa - perhaps with more generous provisions - he must show that he was truthful and is reliable by attending the seminar and then returning home promptly

https://www.quora.com/My-son-has-B1-visa-w-annotation-can-he-travel-to-other-states-after-his-seminar-that-is-being-annotated-before-going-back-home

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
8 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

FYI, from someone who claims to be a former CO (details provided in link, not anonymous username)  on a question about an annotated B visa. The bolded bits were in the original answer so her emphasis, not mine:

The B1 visa is for business, not for tourism. Your son may briefly visit another place in the US before going home, but the primary purpose for his trip - and most of the time that he is in the US - must be at the seminar and its location. He cannot do extended tourist travel.

The consular officer who approved the visa clearly was concerned about the likelihood of his wanting to stay or work in the US. If he would ever expect to qualify for another US visa - perhaps with more generous provisions - he must show that he was truthful and is reliable by attending the seminar and then returning home promptly

https://www.quora.com/My-son-has-B1-visa-w-annotation-can-he-travel-to-other-states-after-his-seminar-that-is-being-annotated-before-going-back-home

I believe OP has B1/B2(visitor) visa.

Agreed that one should use the visa for which it was intended. 

Edited by Teemo

11 minutes ago, Teemo said:

I believe OP has B1/B2(visitor) visa.

Agreed that one should use the visa for which it was intended. 

That ex CO noted most of the time should be for annotated purpose. OP wants to spend equal time  doing something else.  The absolute vs relative time seems to come into play here. 2 weeks is not “long” in absolute terms, but it is as long as purpose for which visa was sought. OP also mentioned visa officer was hesitant to grant visa. Red flags matter.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I did not expect people to be fighting over this. Thank you to the admin who regulated the thread. 

I appreciate everyone's feedback including those that have accused me of things here. I assure you, I am not intending to deceive. I have a B1/B2 visa and told the consul that I will be visiting family. I have shown him an itinerary where we will be touring after the exam.   

I have taken everyone's comments into consideration. I guess I should have expected the polarity of responses because that is what I am arguing about to myself too, this vs that. So thank you for the discussion. It is why I posted in the first place, to ask if it would be alright to do. If it isn't, then I won't do it. There's no need for rudeness, I believe. 

I find that it is, indeed, too risky to add as much as 2 weeks to my trip on the mere defense of having more time with family (despite not being with them for several years). I have a lot to lose that I am too scared to risk. But at the same time, I am merely a child missing family, but I guess some people don't understand this. It seems like the consul officer I spoke with was more lenient than some people here lol. I even mentioned to him that if family would be a problem, then he can just give me a visa for the time period of the exam (which would've been shorter than 2 weeks). He said that that isn't the problem. I also did not hide the fact of meeting my family because they all know my family is there. It wouldn't be believable that I will only go to the USA for just the exam while I stay alone for the whole 2 weeks. They already expect that I am meeting with family, and I respectfully believe it is not illegal to do so while I am under petition and granted a visa disclosing all these facts. 

Thank you @Teemo, I feel like you were spot on on this: "There has been no insinuation/advice he should be anything less than 100% truthful at the PoE. He is scrutinized with good reason - he is an intending immigrant (in 7 years) asking for a non-immigrant visa. Staying in the country for 2 weeks more than he originally intended to, for tourism purposes, with his family who the consulate KNOWS about, while being entirely honest at PoE, will pass even the most severe of scrutiny, in my opinion...". I have decided against the additional 2 weeks though.

Yes, @SusieQQQ, I will try to update this thread on how it goes. Wish me luck. Thank you again to everyone for the discussion. :) 

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello! 

Updating this thread as promised from someone with a limited, annotated visa with a bunch of red flags. At the POE, the officer was very nice. Only asked me a few things:

1. Purpose of travel

2. What the exam was

3. How long I was staying 

4. If I brought money greater than $10000 

He wished me luck on the exam and granted me 6 months. I came back home in 2 weeks. :) Thanks again to everyone who helped me here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.