Canadianeh!

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time

2,986 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, HEL-Canada said:

Hi everyone.  Looks like I'm late to this party, but wanted to throw myself into the mix anyway.  I'm EB-2 and received my NVC letter on March 9th.  I'm still waiting on an interview in Montreal (112 days and counting).  Fingers crossed for August...

Hi HEL-Canada,

Thanks for the post.  None of us are really sure why this is taking so long for us specifically (Montreal, EB). I don’t see EB categories taking a particularly long time at embassies from other countries (dwheels spreadsheet).  Also, I don’t see any posts like this in the past that would imply that this has historically been a pattern for Montreal.  Have any of you found any?

13 hours ago, Dhaovriod said:

Hi HEL-Canada,

Thanks for the post.  None of us are really sure why this is taking so long for us specifically (Montreal, EB). I don’t see EB categories taking a particularly long time at embassies from other countries (dwheels spreadsheet).  Also, I don’t see any posts like this in the past that would imply that this has historically been a pattern for Montreal.  Have any of you found any?

No, I don't have any intel.  Though I did read somewhere at some point that the consulate slows down in interviewing over the summer, so perhaps that's part of the problem.

Occassionally Montreal has skipped all interviews in August (at least for people updating us on VJ.)  Since everything goes through Montreal now and the fact that they do preference IR1/CR1 visas and EB tend to take longer.  Someone else had an EB interview but couldn't make it and is having a heck of a time rescheduling their interview (several years out!)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

2 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Occassionally Montreal has skipped all interviews in August (at least for people updating us on VJ.)  Since everything goes through Montreal now and the fact that they do preference IR1/CR1 visas and EB tend to take longer.  Someone else had an EB interview but couldn't make it and is having a heck of a time rescheduling their interview (several years out!)

Hi NikLR,

Thanks for the info but please verify for us where you are getting this information (all interviews skipped in Aug).  Are you a beneficiary who is applying for an Immigrant Visa through Montreal as well.  Are you an administrator at VJ?  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Dhaovriod said:

Hi NikLR,

Thanks for the info but please verify for us where you are getting this information (all interviews skipped in Aug).  Are you a beneficiary who is applying for an Immigrant Visa through Montreal as well.  Are you an administrator at VJ?  Thanks.

I've been here since 2012.  I'm an organizer.  I can move threads to appropriate locations.  There are many organizers, a few moderators and only 1 administrator for VJ.  

I am recalling to you what I have historically seen through threads on VJ.  Twice since 2013, August has not had any interviews for immigrant visas on VJ recorded by our members who participate in the monthly NVC filers threads.  Since there are few EB filers it's hard to get a read on if they were included.  

All of my info on my immigration journey is in my timeline.  You easily could have accessed that before demanding answers from me. ;) just sayin

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

18 hours ago, HEL-Canada said:

Hi everyone.  Looks like I'm late to this party, but wanted to throw myself into the mix anyway.  I'm EB-2 and received my NVC letter on March 9th.  I'm still waiting on an interview in Montreal (112 days and counting).  Fingers crossed for August...

Hi HEL-Canada,

I also got my NVC letter March 9th, EB-1.  I was really hoping to hear this past week... I’m crossing my fingers for August too!!  Please let me know when you hear from them... 

8 hours ago, NikLR said:

I've been here since 2012.  I'm an organizer.  I can move threads to appropriate locations.  There are many organizers, a few moderators and only 1 administrator for VJ.  

I am recalling to you what I have historically seen through threads on VJ.  Twice since 2013, August has not had any interviews for immigrant visas on VJ recorded by our members who participate in the monthly NVC filers threads.  Since there are few EB filers it's hard to get a read on if they were included.  

All of my info on my immigration journey is in my timeline.  You easily could have accessed that before demanding answers from me. ;) just sayin

Hi NikLR,

How many interviews for Immigrant Visas at the Montreal embassy do you usually  see on VJ monthly threads as recorded by your members?

40 minutes ago, Dhaovriod said:

Hi NikLR,

How many interviews for Immigrant Visas at the Montreal embassy do you usually  see on VJ monthly threads as recorded by your members?

Montreal is a consulate not an embassy.  I'll be honest when I say I haven't kept up. I can file for citizenship at this point, just choosing not to.  

Hi Everyone

I'm also waiting for an appointment cc 30th April, I know I have a ways to go. I know it's stressful waiting, so I thought I'd share this link:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-statistics/immigrant-visa-statistics/monthly-immigrant-visa-issuances.html

It's the monthly statistics for immigrant visas approved from every post from the State Dept. (a more reliable source to analyze).

We are definitely learning patience :)

2 hours ago, Dhaovriod said:

If you haven’t kept up then you probably shouldn’t make statements like that.  Just sayin.

You mean that I cant spout off the numbers? I can look them up. Or that in the past twice, CR1/IR1 filers have been skipped in Aug? Just because I choose not to pay attention now doesnt mean I haven't.  I used to help run the NVC filers thread. 

Honestly you've reminded me why I don't like to even try helping the EB filers.  Thanks! 

Back to the usual programming.

1 hour ago, NikLR said:

You mean that I cant spout off the numbers? I can look them up. Or that in the past twice, CR1/IR1 filers have been skipped in Aug? Just because I choose not to pay attention now doesnt mean I haven't.  I used to help run the NVC filers thread. 

Honestly you've reminded me why I don't like to even try helping the EB filers.  Thanks! 

Back to the usual programming.

You’re probably better suited for programming anyway - requires minimal interaction with people.  VJ must not hold interviews when they hire their staff.  Keep your sarcastic comments to yourself as they’re not appreciated.

Edited by Dhaovriod

11 hours ago, Dhaovriod said:

You’re probably better suited for programming anyway - requires minimal interaction with people.  VJ must not hold interviews when they hire their staff.  Keep your sarcastic comments to yourself as they’re not appreciated.

Please read the TOS. :)

Haven't actually programmed a thing in my life! Formatted my computer a handful of times but I prefer to keep it running nicely because it's a lot of work to format and reinstall everything.  Granted I have 4 HD and I'm only formatting the one... anyhow...

But I've worked customer service since 2002.  Go figure! 

Sorry I cant answer your questions directly.  Honestly, I wish there was a higher EB visa base to draw from.  Like I said in the PM that you chose to send me asking for help, you guys are beyond the norm. But that's obvious.  I honestly think there is little you can do about it as you don't have a USC spouse that can question the US govt on your behalf. I assume you've emailed the consulate and have talked to the NVC multiple times.  You stated the NVC is little help. Until Montreal opens up dates for them there isn't much they can do.  But the month turned over so it has been common for dates to be assigned in then1st 2 weeks of a month.  I recall directly that I called the NVC every couple days from my CC to the first of the next month and it was immediately assigned them.  

I'm unsure that the ombudsman would be able to help a potential LPR or not but as a current LPR that would be my next step. 

Have a great Canada Day! Best wishes. Hope you get your interview soon. 

13 hours ago, SciFamily said:

Hi Everyone

I'm also waiting for an appointment cc 30th April, I know I have a ways to go. I know it's stressful waiting, so I thought I'd share this link:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-statistics/immigrant-visa-statistics/monthly-immigrant-visa-issuances.html

It's the monthly statistics for immigrant visas approved from every post from the State Dept. (a more reliable source to analyze).

We are definitely learning patience :)

SciFamily,

Thank you so much for this helpful link!  When I manually add up the EB visas for Montreal (including spouses and children of beneficiaries), here is what I get for each month (mind the minor arithmetic mistakes):

March 2017 - 56
April 2017 - 19
May 2017 - 64
June 2017 - 80
July 2017 - 52
Aug 2017 - 51
Sept 2017 - 54
Oct 2017 - 66
Nov 2017 - 49
Dec 2017 - 63

Mean: 55.4 

Jan 2018 -50
Feb 2018 - 34
March 2018 - 35
April 2018 - 79
May 2018 - 35

Mean: 46.6

Keep in mind that this includes people who got visas through adjustment of status, which is WAY higher than consular processing as seen here IV%20Issuances-DoS%20vs%20USCIS.pdf

Also, this is the total number of EB IVs given and NOT interviews.  Either way, we can see that lately, less EB IVs have been given out compared to earlier months.

We know that the total number of EB IVs worldwide is fixed at 140,000 and each country is limited to 7%.  This has not changed.  Hopefully, this month (and those going forward) will see an increase in EB visas in Montreal to counter this as was seen after April 2017 (only 19 that month).

Anyone have any other thoughts about this?

PS. Thanks again SciFamily!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.