Canadianeh!

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time

2,986 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

My case was completed at the NVC 03/16/18 (over 70 days ago) and I am waiting for an interview date to be assigned at the Montreal Embassy.  My visa category is EB-2.  Is anyone in a similar situation (EB-2, Montreal) who can share their experience/wait time?  This is taking much longer than anticipated.

Thanks a lot!

I'm in the same boat- my EB-2 application is about to be fully processed at the NVC and will be sent to Montreal soon. 

wow, 70 days and still no appointment interview scheduled!? Did you email or inquire with the Consulate about this?

I've seen other non employment based applicants (immigrant visas) processed in less than 30 days.

Hope someone else in the same situations can provide us with an update.

Please keep us posted.

It has now been 76 days and still no word.  I have contacted the embassy several times but they will not give out any additional information.

When I look at the dwheels spreadsheet, it seem that the average wait for Montreal in the past two years is around 14 days (cc —>interview assignment) .  The majority of these ppl have not indicated their visa category so I don’t know if this is because they are in marriage-based categories.  Either way, the NVC has not corroborated that employment-based visas have a longer wait time.  This might not even be the case.

The other thing that I don’t quite understand about this data is that 2/3 of these Canadian applicants have been given interview dates mid-month.  The NVC has told me that interviews are only given out last few days of month to first week of new month.  There are exceptions to this (cancellations, etc) but these are rare.  How can this be?

Filed: E-2 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
2 hours ago, Dhaovriod said:

It has now been 76 days and still no word.  I have contacted the embassy several times but they will not give out any additional information.

When I look at the dwheels spreadsheet, it seem that the average wait for Montreal in the past two years is around 14 days (cc —>interview assignment) .  The majority of these ppl have not indicated their visa category so I don’t know if this is because they are in marriage-based categories.  Either way, the NVC has not corroborated that employment-based visas have a longer wait time.  This might not even be the case.

The other thing that I don’t quite understand about this data is that 2/3 of these Canadian applicants have been given interview dates mid-month.  The NVC has told me that interviews are only given out last few days of month to first week of new month.  There are exceptions to this (cancellations, etc) but these are rare.  How can this be?

Hi, I am an EB2 also and my interview shall be in Montreal. My case complete on March 23rd but no update till now for interview date. :-(. please keep us updated.

Edited by AAA_can

I haven’t been assigned an interview date either (cc 3/16).  I just don’t understand why the NVC can’t give us any information relating to average wait times, our place in line, etc.  I agree, this process is very stressful.  Do you (or anyone else) have any additional  ideas/clues as to how long this might take for EB candidates?

From what I've seen of other applicants, it seems that the "E" category is not a priority for them. Other categories get the interview faster. I asked the agent at NVC about it, I asked if the family visas have priority and I told her that I knew of other people with a closed case after mine who already got the interview, and she said they don't have access to that information and said nothing about the priority, she did say they process them as a FIFO but I am not sure if this truly happens.

I think the average is 80 days from my own guesstimates. 

36 minutes ago, FERBOS said:

From what I've seen of other applicants, it seems that the "E" category is not a priority for them. Other categories get the interview faster. I asked the agent at NVC about it, I asked if the family visas have priority and I told her that I knew of other people with a closed case after mine who already got the interview, and she said they don't have access to that information and said nothing about the priority, she did say they process them as a FIFO but I am not sure if this truly happens.

I think the average is 80 days from my own guesstimates. 

Hi Ferbos,

I have had the same experience getting answers from NVC.  Out of curiosity, what are you basing this 80 day guesstimate on?  My wait has been 81 days thus far.  From what I can see on the spreadsheet, there are only 2 recent cases completed that are EB from Montreal.  One was 72 days (cc 2/21/18), the other was 21 days (cc 11/22/17). 

Edited by Dhaovriod

I was looking at those status too (72 waiting days for the cc 02/21/18) and yours, so I am basing my estimate on just short of  3 months (90 days). I hope you can get yours now, that would mean I will get mine next month.

I called them today but the agent didn't tell me if they were still booking July. At this point, I think they must have filled July, so I am hoping for August now. I will call again Thursday and if lucky, the agent will tell me what is going on.

Any news on yours yet?

43 minutes ago, FERBOS said:

I was looking at those status too (72 waiting days for the cc 02/21/18) and yours, so I am basing my estimate on just short of  3 months (90 days). I hope you can get yours now, that would mean I will get mine next month.

I called them today but the agent didn't tell me if they were still booking July. At this point, I think they must have filled July, so I am hoping for August now. I will call again Thursday and if lucky, the agent will tell me what is going on.

Any news on yours yet?

I haven’t heard yet and I can only assume they have given all (or almost all) out by now.  If this goes to next cycle (which seems likely) then it will be well over 100 days.  Also, there is no guarantee that either of us will get one next cycle.  Unfortunately, the NVC is not helpful at all as they can really only answer one question “unterview scheduled: yes vs no.”    Sometimes they tell us if all interview slots have been given out but lately they aren’t even answering that.  I’ll keep you posted if I hear anything.

Hi friends,

Today is day 99 since I was notified by the NVC that they received all of the necessary documents... hopefully we all hear soon!!  Please keep me posted if you get an interview so I can get a ballpark estimate for myself... definitely hard to plan ahead at the moment, but I’m staying positive!!! :)

(I am EB1) 

11 hours ago, TexasForeverYall said:

Hi friends,

Today is day 99 since I was notified by the NVC that they received all of the necessary documents... hopefully we all hear soon!!  Please keep me posted if you get an interview so I can get a ballpark estimate for myself... definitely hard to plan ahead at the moment, but I’m staying positive!!! :)

(I am EB1) 

Thanks for the info, TexasForeverYall!  Looks like you’re 8 days ahead of me.  It’s unbelievable that this is taking so long for all of us.  Let’s all update each other when/if we find out!

1 hour ago, FERBOS said:

I just called the NCV and they are done booking for July. So, another month until they start again, for August. Looks like bad news for us, again.

Fingers crossed that maybe we will get the next round.

Thank you for the update!!  I’m 103 days today (I got my NVC letter March 9th and my priority date is September 29th).  Does anyone know the priority dates for people that have already gotten an interview scheduled?  And do they always call people at the start of the month?  Is it possible to request your case be expedited if it is outside of normal processing times?

Edited by TexasForeverYall

2 hours ago, TexasForeverYall said:

Thank you for the update!!  I’m 103 days today (I got my NVC letter March 9th and my priority date is September 29th).  Does anyone know the priority dates for people that have already gotten an interview scheduled?  And do they always call people at the start of the month?  Is it possible to request your case be expedited if it is outside of normal processing times?

Hi FERBOS,

The good news is that NVC should start scheduling August interviews around 9 days from now or so (last 2 days of month).  We don’t have to wait an entire month for the next cycle.

TexasForeverYall, as long as your priority date is current, it shouldn’t matter when it was.  The Case Complete date is what puts you in your place in the lineup.  My priority date is July 2017 but you are ahead of me in line because my CC date was 03/16/18. They usually start scheduling interviews around last 2 days of month (roughly).  You can put in an NVC expedite request for anything but I wouldn’t base your case on the fact that it is “outside the normal processing time.”  The truth is, we simply don’t know what normal is.  NVC and the embassy will not give us any information on this.  We are basing our perception of what normal is on two data points which may or may not be reliable.  VJ is not an official government source.  For all we know, these wait times are normal (or even less than normal).  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.