Tango777

Is it possible my U.S. Citizen wife can bring her 7 year old Grandson here to stay

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife has a 7 year old Grandson in Thailand. Her daughter, the kids mother has to work in the city while my wife's Sister takes care of the Grand. They all get along but we would like the kid to have a chance over here in the U.S. I have not seen anything about a Grandchild coming over. We would adopt him if we had to. I am thinking our best chance would be to have the daughter come over with the Grandson, I mean visa wise the best chance. If anyone knows anything about all this please let me know. My wife's Citizenship interview is in June and I'm pretty sure she will pass. I read over 90% pass the first time. Thanks for any help

Timeline

Dee elle, thanks for your advice. Really that is what I thought after spending about an hour looking. I remember when my wife came over on a K-1, we did not specify whether her daughter, minor at the time at 20 I think was a minor and held up our Package 3 because we did not bring anything on her daughter, since we didn't plan to for her to come along. That mistake cost us about 3 months of processing time. But if the Daughter were apply, she could apply with her son I think? That would be the only way I can see. Thanks again and anyone else has anything let me know. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

not if her daughter came on a k2, there are no derivatives for minor children, she would have had to leave her child behind

It doesn't matter if your wife has a GC or is a USC and her daughter Is over 21, she can file for her, but the wait is 7 years or more depending on the priority dates of that time, and she can't marry, residents can't file for married children

the wait for unmarried children of a USC over 21 is 7 years or more.

Edited by aleful

Timeline

Well at least now I know. I had some idea it might be one to two years. Our K-1 took 20 months back in 2012-2014 when it was really bad before they hired the CGI contractors which did not seem to help much. When they set us back for not specifying that her daughter was not coming along, I felt almost like if we had said yes, we would have just got the birth certificate and any other required paper and waited the same three months! Thanks again all. Anything more I welcome. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

all adult children petitions allow derivatives such as children because they aren't considered as immediate family

immediate family members of a USC aren't allowed derivatives, such as spouses of a USC, parents of a USC or minor children.

but adult children, of LPR or USC can have unmarried children as their derivatives,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
13 hours ago, Tango777 said:

Well at least now I know. I had some idea it might be one to two years. Our K-1 took 20 months back in 2012-2014 when it was really bad before they hired the CGI contractors which did not seem to help much. When they set us back for not specifying that her daughter was not coming along, I felt almost like if we had said yes, we would have just got the birth certificate and any other required paper and waited the same three months! Thanks again all. Anything more I welcome. 

I read here just a while back that a child that is divorced is considered unmarried. I dont know if that is true but that is what i read in a post

filed 129 with vermont 4/19/06

first notice 5/3/06?

IMRA RFE 6/19/06

snail mail RFE 6/22/06

returned 6/22/06

email they recieved 6/26/06

second RFE email 7/11/06

recieved 7/22

returned 7/24

touched 7/25

APProved 10/02/06

NVC sent to Moscow 10/17/06

package from Embassy 11/17/06

interview 01/11/07

approved visa 01/11/07

arrived 02/7/07

married 04/13/07

filed AOS 05/13/07

biometrics 06/06/07

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

OP's wife is a USC so married or not daughter can be sponsored. Not exactly quick process.

Yes you can not sponsor a Grandchild, maybe a F1 but we are getting into serious expense when there are no doubt cheaper/ more effective options.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Cee, your right friend, I am trying to work that out. I don't speak Thai which is a hindrance. Anyway, Since I've now found out the Grand likely cannot come here. my next step is get him schooled in Mandarin and English. Not easy in the Village. My wife takes her Citizenship test in 3 weeks, I think she will pass. Thanks guys, any input I appreciate big. - Tango   

Filed: Other Timeline

Since education appears to be a priority, there are likely other alternatives. 

Is there a boarding school where daughter works? What is her living arrangement at this time? Is there a possibility of sharing home with another mother/family?  It may not be appropriate now but feasible in a few years. 

How is their internet access? Is an online school in addition to the regular one an option?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.