23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
7 hours ago, msj1224 said:

Hello, my wife and I currently live in MA and submitted our I-751 petition in December. We are moving to CA in June for a new job and won't have a permanent address for a few months while we look for housing. How long do you recommend we wait until we notify USCIS of our move and what are the consequences of the move on our application?  Thanks in advance!  

best option is to maintain a close by rent a mailbox place, where you are guaranteed to have your mail. I used a UPS mailbox place and that's where my green card went. I also was in transition from 3 different addresses that year, while I was adjusting my status. 

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

17 hours ago, cd37 said:

The issue is even though you submit address change, they will still send you everything on old address. There are thousands of cases where this happened. USCiS is just not good at this and they evantually lost so many green cards. Just saying.

So which is worse--not submitting an address change thus guaranteeing that any mail sent to the old address will be returned to USCIS or submitting an address change and risking that some mail may not be sent to the new address?

For the record, my husband (K1 visa holder) and I moved from NJ to NV and were in a temporary rental for a month while we were looking for a home to buy in NV.  There was never a problem with updating our address every time it changed--my husband online and me through snail mail.  If I remember correctly my husband got a notice each time confirming USCIS had received the address change.

Filed: Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, ddtenor2 said:

So which is worse--not submitting an address change thus guaranteeing that any mail sent to the old address will be returned to USCIS or submitting an address change and risking that some mail may not be sent to the new address?

For the record, my husband (K1 visa holder) and I moved from NJ to NV and were in a temporary rental for a month while we were looking for a home to buy in NV.  There was never a problem with updating our address every time it changed--my husband online and me through snail mail.  If I remember correctly my husband got a notice each time confirming USCIS had received the address change.

Did I say not to submit address change anywhere in my comment ? 

Timeline

You can't stop living your life in fear of missing a mail from USCIS. There are several steps you can take, but do change the address online.

1.) Keep a good relation with your landlord or neighbor - tell them to inform you if they see any mail

2.) Rent a PO Box near you

3.) Do file a USPS change of address form. This definitely works unless you happen to be so unlucky to fall on the few dates this takes to process.

4.) Keep an eye online. I think there is a way you can check online or call to see if you are missing any documents. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
21 hours ago, msj1224 said:

Hello, my wife and I currently live in MA and submitted our I-751 petition in December. We are moving to CA in June for a new job and won't have a permanent address for a few months while we look for housing. How long do you recommend we wait until we notify USCIS of our move and what are the consequences of the move on our application?  Thanks in advance!  

We  had a mess with USCIS letters after our change of address submission during AOS. Despite the fact I filed AR-11 on line, my husband, as US Sponsor - I-865,  and we both got confirmations (I - online and via regular mail, my hubby -  via regular mail),  all Notices from USCIS , including EAD card, were still sent to our old address. Everything finally found us because we submitted change of address with USPS as well and every mail was redirected to me to our new address. 

We also kept in touch with people at our previous address... Just in case. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
23 hours ago, msj1224 said:

Is there an option to use your job's address until you find a more permanent fix in CA?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Yes, I could use my work address. Thanks for the advice!

I see there is a shorter processing time at VSC vs CSC. Will moving mean that my petition will transfer to CSC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
1 hour ago, msj1224 said:

Yes, I could use my work address. Thanks for the advice!

I see there is a shorter processing time at VSC vs CSC. Will moving mean that my petition will transfer to CSC

Nope. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.