joanamber

How soon did you find your first job?

131 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
14 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

if you know multiple languages,  make sure that is stressed on resume as the one thing lacking in the American education system is the need for knowing multiple languages

I've actually been thinking about doing a quick course in spanish. I already speak Dutch (native), German and English. German will be highly useful in my area and field (historian and archivist in German settled area). But I think Spanish might just give me that edge. 

06.01.2016 met online                                                                    

06.23.2017 met in person                                                              

12.16.2017 got engaged

K1 fiance visa

12.20.2017 K1 filed

12.22.2017 NOA-1

07.10.2018 NOA-2 (200 days)

07.18.2018 case at NVC (case number available on 07.20)

7.26.2018 case at Amsterdam Consulate

7.27-2018 P3 through e-mail

08.02.2018 medical

08.14.2018 interview APPROVED 

08.21.2018 POE

08.25.2018 💕Married 💕

AOS adjustment of status and AP/EAD 

08.27.2018 filed AOS, AP and EAD

08.30.2018 NOA-1 on all 3

9.21.2018 RFE on AOS

9.28.2018 replied to RFE

10.04.2018 biometrics appointment Louisville

11.29.2018 AOS interview Indianapolis  

01.28.2019 AOS approved

ROC removal of conditions

12.7.2020 filed ROC 

1.30.2021 NOA-1

5.28.2021 existing biometrics applied (no new biometrics done)

10.27.2021 ROC approved (no interview)

Check your case status: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov

Call USCIS: 800-375-5283 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Little_Vixen said:

I've actually been thinking about doing a quick course in spanish. I already speak Dutch (native), German and English. German will be highly useful in my area and field (historian and archivist in German settled area). But I think Spanish might just give me that edge. 

As our second language it would but there are many German companies now doing business here

Tv stations even look for translators 

It surprised when our President was given a Japanese translator as he was sitting near the Japanese deligate when even Air France employees can speak 5,  6 and 7 languages and the news misssed the point that the President could have had someone who spoke more langruages /not saying this right but was a stupid idea / he should have been given an intreprtor with multiple 

actually think someone running for office should know more that just English

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
1 minute ago, adil-rafa said:

As our second language it would but there are many German companies now doing business here

Tv stations even look for translators 

It surprised when our President was given a Japanese translator as he was sitting near the Japanese deligate when even Air France employees can speak 5,  6 and 7 languages and the news misssed the point that the President could have had someone who spoke more langruages /not saying this right but was a stupid idea / he should have been given an intreprtor with multiple 

actually think someone running for office should know more that just English

Getting a bit off topic here but it's so interesting. 

I think it's pretty normal for Americans to just speak one language. Maybe some in the south speak Spanish and some in the north speak French, but that's all you need cause you never have to interact with other languages.  Here in Europe you have a different language every 3 hours while driving 😂 

06.01.2016 met online                                                                    

06.23.2017 met in person                                                              

12.16.2017 got engaged

K1 fiance visa

12.20.2017 K1 filed

12.22.2017 NOA-1

07.10.2018 NOA-2 (200 days)

07.18.2018 case at NVC (case number available on 07.20)

7.26.2018 case at Amsterdam Consulate

7.27-2018 P3 through e-mail

08.02.2018 medical

08.14.2018 interview APPROVED 

08.21.2018 POE

08.25.2018 💕Married 💕

AOS adjustment of status and AP/EAD 

08.27.2018 filed AOS, AP and EAD

08.30.2018 NOA-1 on all 3

9.21.2018 RFE on AOS

9.28.2018 replied to RFE

10.04.2018 biometrics appointment Louisville

11.29.2018 AOS interview Indianapolis  

01.28.2019 AOS approved

ROC removal of conditions

12.7.2020 filed ROC 

1.30.2021 NOA-1

5.28.2021 existing biometrics applied (no new biometrics done)

10.27.2021 ROC approved (no interview)

Check your case status: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov

Call USCIS: 800-375-5283 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Little_Vixen said:

I'd do it.  My husband has been thinking about it as well as there are a number of Spanish speaking construction workers, but he's scared by the conjugations having only studied Germanic languages in the past.  I told him Spanish was super duper easy for someone who is fluent in English to learn, but he doesn't believe me.  :rolleyes:

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Little_Vixen said:

I think it's pretty normal for Americans to just speak one language. Maybe some in the south speak Spanish and some in the north speak French, but that's all you need cause you never have to interact with other languages.  Here in Europe you have a different language every 3 hours while driving 😂 

I think the greater problem is that we (Americans) don't learn it to an advanced enough level.  Before college, I studied French, Spanish, German, and Latin at school and right now, I'm certain I couldn't have a conversation with anyone in any of them.  

Edited by N-o-l-a

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just started job hunting last week. I just received my EAD recently but I've been checking for jobs online before that, trying to get a feel of the job market here in my city. So far, I've applied to 7 jobs and have done 1 video interview last weekend. My lack of transportation is really limiting my search. Doesn't help that public transportation here in Austin sucks. I'm on my second week oh job hunting. Tomorrow, I'm going to a job expo. I hope I see some positive results.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Little_Vixen said:

I say it as it is to your advantage when job hunting as we are weak in that area / use your knowlege to enhance your resume

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
11 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

Her first key to success was having me and a couple other people help her revise her resume. Her second one was simply applying to hundreds of jobs. She didn't read the qualifications. If the work sounded OK and the location was good, she applied. That literally became her #1 thing to do when not working or eating. You know never know what could happen! She applied to her current job in late 2016 but did not get contacted by the company until January of 2018

This is another thing I'd highlight too. Apply to hundreds of jobs, even if you end up not taking an offer, the interview experience will help in your next job application. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
1 minute ago, notantifun said:

Just started job hunting last week. I just received my EAD recently but I've been checking for jobs online before that, trying to get a feel of the job market here in my city. So far, I've applied to 7 jobs and have done 1 video interview last weekend. My lack of transportation is really limiting my search. Doesn't help that public transportation here in Austin sucks. I'm on my second week oh job hunting. Tomorrow, I'm going to a job expo. I hope I see some positive results.

Yes, that's a good point about transportation. My wife and I have one car, but I don't need it to get to/from work. She wasn't limited in her job options in that regard. Her job hunting is actually what motivated her to get her license. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

15 minutes ago, Little_Vixen said:

Go for it. My employer was very impressed with the languages I had listed on my resume. Even though I am only fluent in Dutch and English, they really liked the fact that I knew a bit about other languages (I can easily read German, French and Spanish, I just don't speak so well in these languages). They appreciated my willingness and ability to learn languages, and I think that's a valuable asset many Europeans have. I am currently brushing up on my Spanish, which will make me very useful at my job.

Timeline

Don't forget to get that driving license as fast as you can

here most of the country requies you drive  to work

only huge cities like NYC have good bus and subway so people can do without a car

you are on the border of Kentucky so you can expand your job search to both Indiana and Kentucky

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

Yes, that's a good point about transportation. My wife and I have one car, but I don't need it to get to/from work. She wasn't limited in her job options in that regard. Her job hunting is actually what motivated her to get her license. 

Same. My husband takes the bus to work to avoid the downtown and rush hour traffic. I know how to drive already. I'm just not confident of my driving skills plus the roads here frighten me to be honest. I definitely need to bite the bullet and apply for a driver's license. But I would honestly prefer to not have to drive if I could get a job somewhere the bus route. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, notantifun said:

I know how to drive already. I'm just not confident of my driving skills plus the roads here frighten me to be honest. I definitely need to bite the bullet and apply for a driver's license. 

My wife was the same way until she had a job that she had to drive to. Worst job of her life (her boss was a fool, and the company was going bankrupt), but the upside is her fear of driving on the freeway is gone!

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I got my first job as a bilingual paraeducator in a middle school once l got my EAD. Then l started applying to the State and after fifteen interviews, l got my first position. Since then l have been working with the State and l have been promoted three times after that. My first language is Spanish and l have a bachelor degree in Business Administration. I think is depends on the industry but the key is to keep trying.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.