joanamber

How soon did you find your first job?

131 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

I suggest slowing down.  Take about 6 months or a year to adjust.  Learn the way of the USA, our culture, our tax system, the people to avoid.

When I brought my fiancé to the USA I had no desire for her to go work,  You have you entire life to work,  enjoy the ride and experience life.  Life is not about working, it's about living.

I feel sorry for the people who I see come to the USA and go directly to work, what kind of life is that?  I also see people posting stuff like when can my fiancé or husband work?  I think to myself did you marry for love or marry for an extra income, jeez.

That's a personal choice ,jeez

Seriously I moved here in 2009 was not hard to find work and that was supposed to be at the time of the whole "great recession" stuff. I'm the husband I didn't move here for a vacation I moved here to start my life with my wife and new family and that in turn means providing.

The poster even asked anout retail jobs which I translate they want to work.

It's hard for anyone to answer but there are jobs for people who want to work and if that means you do something other than you desire until you find your desired career.

The smaller the city or town of course means less opportunity and few jobs but the job market overall is much better today than when I immigrated

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline
8 minutes ago, doggieandsam said:

oh wow. my husband has a masters of computer science from an ivy league university and doesn't make 300k. his classmates from the same ivy league are VPs at fortune 500 companies and the highest paid is not yet at 300k. you must be really lucky or nyc pays web devs so much more.

It's not NYC itself, but what I do.

12 hours ago, POA said:

It is hard to find a job here! I was offered a job little over a month after I started applying. The initial offer was $10.30 BUT I was denied with the background check because of the incorrect format of my name in my SSN. After 3 weeks, I was offered another job starting pay was over $40k a year.

What I can advised, apply as many as you can and not focus on one application. Eventually, you'll get an offer.

Also, for you to not be limited, driving will be very essential unless you live in a city where public transpo is very accessible.

Care to explain what was wrong with your social security name ?

2 minutes ago, killadocg23 said:

Care to explain what was wrong with your social security name ?

I have two first names and Social Security put my second name as my middle name instead of having it in my first name so when I submitted my information for the background check, they couldn't match the name in my SSN and the name I submitted. :( This is blessing in disguise though lol.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
2 hours ago, Springrain22 said:

No, I have not even finished my university :) It's not really needed in IT, to be honest. I am a completely self-taught guy.

Good luck! You will get there!

I would love for you to connect with my husband. He came from India with multiple university degrees but I doubt they'll amount to much here. He's really interested in getting into IT but isn't sure where to start. He's been applying for jobs in the field he worked in India (eLearning developer) , but hasn't had much luck so far.

Edited by TBoneTX
language in quote

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

@moosy What a terrible attitude for other ex-pats to take with you.  I'm sure some of it is jealousy and some of it is not getting the whole story.  For example, my husband did do a manual labor job when he arrived, but he also didn't even have the equivalent of a high school diploma and his trade doesn't exist in our country.  So, he needed time to get a GED and learn a new trade.  Not everyone is in that boat, especially if they have a good degree from another country.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

23 minutes ago, TexasHeartsIndia said:

I would love for you to connect with my husband. He came from India with multiple university degrees but I doubt they'll amount to much here. He's really interested in getting into IT but isn't sure where to start. He's been applying for jobs in the field he worked in India (eLearning developer) , but hasn't had much luck so far.

Go look into certifications for IT, there are certifications out there for programming/network. Think about android, Java, Cisco, Comptia.  

US Passport Application

Routine service
Applied: 12/3/2020

Received: 12/18/2020

Approved & Shipped: 1/11/2021

Passport Delivered:   1/14/2021

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 hours ago, POA said:

I worked in call centers in the PH and that's all I have for experience. When I started losing hope getting into the same industry, I started applying to simply anything that I can find online that does not have crazy requirements including cashier and I was never called. But others got  jobs from Walmart even without retail experience. I think they start $11.

Same here  - never tried any other job except call center in PH though i have BS in Information Technology. Now im beginning to worry what job would i have there and/or if i need to get a degree to get a job. Will be soon flying to Grand Forks ND. 

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

Feb 15, 2019   : Sent I-485 together with I-131 and I- 765

Jan 28, 2019   : Got married at the courthouse

Nov 15, 2018  :  Entered the USA

K1 JOURNEY

Nov 07, 2018   :  At 12nn, received Visa via door to door delivery

Nov 06, 2018   :  Out for delivery. Received email and text notification.

Nov 02, 2018   :  Called office and status changed to Issued

Oct 18, 2018    Status changed to Ready

Oct 16, 2018    :   NVC Left  ( Status is In Transit)

Oct 4&5, 2018 :   Completed medical at St. Lukes Medical Center

Oct 01,  2018   :   Paid visa fee at BPI, Filled DS-160, Registered online for St. Lukes medical

Sep 28, 2018   :   NVC case number over the phone

Sep 26, 2018   :   NVC received case (13 days from NOA2)

Sep 17, 2018   :   NOA2 hard copy received

Sep 13, 2018   :   NOA2 via email notification (192 days from NOA1)

Mar 08, 2018   :   NOA1 new website (https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/)

Mar 05, 2018   :   NOA1 old website (https://egov.uscis.gov)

Mar 01, 2018   :   I-129F Packet sent

2 minutes ago, L1990 said:

Same here  - never tried any other job except call center in PH though i have BS in Information Technology. Now im beginning to worry what job would i have there and/or if i need to get a degree to get a job. Will be soon flying to Grand Forks ND. 

I would say, keep trying when you get here. I have an education degree back in the PH but was fortunate to land the job that I landed. One thing I realized immediately after moving here was, we no longer the same edge that we did in the PH(fluent in English) because if you are applying in a call center here, you are competing with a lot of native speakers.  Also, try not going for the regular BPO, they offer so much less than other companies. I just decided to apply to the BPO when I started losing hope getting a job in other companies. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
15 minutes ago, L1990 said:

You'll find a job easily there.  They are hiring people out of homeless shelters to do some jobs because the unemployment rate is so low.  

Edited by N-o-l-a

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
13 hours ago, joanamber said:

Hi!

How soon did you find your first job upon arriving in America? Was it hard to find a job? How much was your hourly salary?

I hope you can give me some ideas. Going to America this end of May and I want to have a job when I arrive there.

Thank you!

I really believe that it depends not only on your qualifications, but on the job market in your area in general. I was prepared to collect EI (employment insurance) from Canada until I found something. I was a licensed security officer and I figured I would have to go throu a difficult licensing process down here to find something. I went online and did some job searches, keyed in a few key words pertaining to my line of work, and I got lots of matches. I had several companies reach out to me via email. I had a full time job in less than a month from the time I emigrated permanently. 

As as others have said here, polish up your resume, look online, and use as many key words in your search as you can. Good luck on your search! 🙂

ROC

01/18/2017   Sent in I-751

01/26/2017   Check cashed

01/28/2017   Received NOA dated 01/20/2017

02/16/2017   Biometrics done

10/24/2017   Traveled to Minneapolis for I551 stamp

02/26/2018     Case received by Field Office - S. Paul

05/012018     Case transferred to another USCIS office for processing 

N-400

02/02/2018    Filed N-400 online

02/05/2018    NOA online - NOA letter 02/09/2018

02/21/2018     Biometrics walk-in

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A poster circumvented the site's language filter.  That post and MANY quotes of it have been edited.  The Moderators aren't editors, so please watch your language, and if you quote something, eliminate the bad language yourself.

Please review the Terms of Service, found here:  http://visajourney.com/content/terms

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I was very excited to get my work permit and start looking for jobs, but soon discovered that my desired employer (Intel) didn't want to risk hiring anyone without a green card. I guess they aren't sure that you'll definitely get one just because you're adjusting. I applied for various positions, adjusted my expectations and tried for entry level jobs, to no success. At that point I had no idea what was wrong and why they wouldn't give me a chance. But as soon as I got my GC I started getting calls for interviews, and soon got an offer. I've been very happy and growing my career since (a bit over 2 years now) and make very decent money. 

I'm sure depending on your field of interest, your experience could be different, but know that some employers might not want to hire nonresidents.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

arrived 9/5/2015

green card 10/5/2015

job offer 11/15/2015 

started 12/5/2015 as i wanted the 2 weeks before he started working to travel to introduce him to some family

but our area is booming with new industry and opportunties for anyone

and he had several years of computer tech work in his country plus the 2 year accounting degree offered there by a French firm OPT

not hard if you are in the right area / not hard if you are willing to accept anything to just get started 

sometimes more important to get a driving license first as some jobs applications will ask if you have one

don't think that you have to always be stuck in a "job" instead of a career 

build your resume

and here many industries offer classes to you to give you better advancement 

hardest part actually even for a USC is keeping yourself from getting discouraged with the job hunting process / can be a real downer to some as there are times they say "you have no experience" and then the next interviewer says " you are way too overqualified"

if you know multiple languages,  make sure that is stressed on resume as the one thing lacking in the American education system is the need for knowing multiple languages

good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.