MichaelMiguel

Doubts about I-693, immunizations and physical exam

22 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

On answer to one point... you age out of some vaccines and you simply don't require them.  My husband had no history so he required everything.  Many he simply didn't get as they were for children only.  In those cases you don't get them even though on the comprehensive list they will show as required.  He got three injections total. 

11 hours ago, bakphx1 said:

On answer to one point... you age out of some vaccines and you simply don't require them.  My husband had no history so he required everything.  Many he simply didn't get as they were for children only.  In those cases you don't get them even though on the comprehensive list they will show as required.  He got three injections total. 

Fantastic! It's great to get the confirmation that the entire list of vaccines is not needed. Do you happen to remember how much did you pay for the whole exam/vaccination thing and were you able to get it through his insurance (if he had any)? Just trying to get a feel of prices and such.

Thanks!

Edited by MichaelMiguel
Typo

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
4 hours ago, MichaelMiguel said:

Fantastic! It's great to get the confirmation that the entire list of vaccines is not needed. Do you happen to remember how much did you pay for the whole exam/vaccination thing and were you able to get it through his insurance (if he had any)? Just trying to get a feel of prices and such.

Thanks!

The whole exam was over $600, but we didn't get a breakdown of what was the vaccines.  Most insurances under the ACA should cover any needed vaccines, but there may be issues of being in-network and other technicalities.   But the exam may not be covered at all, so if you want to get it covered under insurance, I would just go to an in-network provider.  The main thing is getting acceptable documentation to bring to show you got it.  

• 6 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
On 4/11/2018 at 12:59 AM, bakphx1 said:

Do you know which those were? My husband had two before he left Turkey and I would hate to pay for a physical again just to have 1 more vaccine. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Irehc said:

Do you know which those were? My husband had two before he left Turkey and I would hate to pay for a physical again just to have 1 more vaccine. 

I can't answer for the full list of those that are "not age-appropriate", but on my I-693 the civil surgeon specified that the following are not age-appropriate (though I received many of them as a child):

- DTaP (because as an adult, you get Tdap instead),

- polio (IPV/OPV),

- Hib,

- Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, 

- pneumococcal, meningococcal, and 

- rotavirus.

So I can only assume that whether or not you get those as a child, they won't ask you to do it again.

You will still need to get a physical from a civil surgeon regardless.  My civil surgeon told me that I should get another Tdap and MMR vaccines based on my records, so I went to a CVS minuteclinic to get those done (also my insurance covers all vaccines).  All I paid for the civil surgeon is the I-693 and the associated tests, but you can't get around not doing a physical at all.  If at the time they tell you that you need additional vaccines, just go get them at a walk-in clinic and submit proof to attach to the form.

Edit: since you're going form K-1, I'm not sure you'll need a physical so take my last paragraph with a grain of salt.  However, I believe that a civil surgeon will still need to sign off on your immunization record (which is part of the I-693 as well), so just bring all the proof of vaccinations that you have and let the doctor tell you what else your husband needs, if anything.  Don't get it at their office, go to a CVS or something similar, those are always the quickest and cheapest.

Edited by eckoin

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

He had a medical exam done in Turkey in August and they gave him 2 vaccines. The AOS says if you had one within a year of filing you don't need one again. I called two civil surgeons today who said they won't just look at vaccines and they require a medical exam because other countries exams don't count. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.