orangesky35

Urgent Help! We applied for family-based, but status update says employment-based!

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello everyone, 

We applied using the i485 and put family-based immigration, but the status update online says that my wife and I have an interview scheduled for employment-based immigration. Has this happened before? Is this normal? My copy of the i485 was checked family-based. We will call tomorrow, but I wanted to check here first. 

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

That's odd. They may have made a mistake. I'd still call the USCIS and see what they say...Maybe the person putting in info typed it wrong. We all make mistakes..so I think they'll just correct it either when you call or when you have the interview.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2018 at 11:48 PM, orangesky35 said:

Hello everyone, 

We applied using the i485 and put family-based immigration, but the status update online says that my wife and I have an interview scheduled for employment-based immigration. Has this happened before? Is this normal? My copy of the i485 was checked family-based. We will call tomorrow, but I wanted to check here first. 

Thanks!

Hi! This just happened to me and my wife too - what ended up happening with your case/what did the Tier 2 officer say?

August 2017 - June 2018 AoS

April 2020 - January 2021 RoC

Jan 2022 - September 2022 Citizenship

On 4/8/2018 at 11:48 PM, orangesky35 said:

Hello everyone, 

Thanks!

Did you by any chance file in Jan 2018? This has happened to a lot of the Jan AOS filers. Check with the people in that thread.

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

32 minutes ago, doggieandsam said:

Did you by any chance file in Jan 2018? This has happened to a lot of the Jan AOS filers. Check with the people in that thread.

I filed in August 2017 but it just happened to me.

August 2017 - June 2018 AoS

April 2020 - January 2021 RoC

Jan 2022 - September 2022 Citizenship

17 hours ago, Hamilton said:

I filed in August 2017 but it just happened to me.

yeah i just saw that. regardless though, you both can find info on the jan thread or at the very least connect with other people who got the same status. i hope it is not a glitch, especially for you since you have been waiting for a long time already!

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 4/24/2018 at 5:54 PM, Hamilton said:

Hi! This just happened to me and my wife too - what ended up happening with your case/what did the Tier 2 officer say?

We had the interview today. Honestly, we never called and we never mentioned it. It was a non-event. When we arrived, they had her file and knew it was K1. Everything went well. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country:
Timeline
On 4/8/2018 at 8:48 PM, orangesky35 said:

Hello everyone, 

Thanks!

Don't worry, we had the same issue. Today I received my interview letter and it is for family-based AOS. No mention of an Employment-based interview. 

Timeline
On 5/3/2018 at 6:56 PM, orangesky35 said:

We had the interview today. Honestly, we never called and we never mentioned it. It was a non-event. When we arrived, they had her file and knew it was K1. Everything went well. 

How was the interview? Did they ask for all the documents they requested on the letter? Can you share with us, I am having mine on June 9th in San Fernando, California. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Mmagic said:

How was the interview? Did they ask for all the documents they requested on the letter? Can you share with us, I am having mine on June 9th in San Fernando, California. 

I feel like our interview was an outlier. It went wonderfully. I often read many horror stories on here, but I guess that people are more ready to share bad stories than they are good stories. We prepared a binder of everything the letter requested and even put a cover letter in to help push the "preparedness" message. The interviewer asked about our current location, our relationship history, and all the questions from Part 8 in the i485. They only asked to keep a photo as well as to keep a copy of our tax returns. We received the approval message 30 minutes later, and my wife got her green card in the mail this morning, 7 days after the interview. Here is our cover letter:

Names
Address
City, State, Zip
Phone #

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Address
Address
Address
City, State, Zip

Nature of interview: Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (Form I-485)

To Whom It May Concern:
Enclosed please find my supporting documents.

Contents Include:

Interview Notice - I-797C Notice of Action with copy (4 pages)
Government Issued Photo I.D. Passport with copy (2 page)
I-129F Approval Notice - I797 Notice of Action with copy (2 pages)
National Visa Center Case Number Notice with copy(2 pages)
I-485 Receipt - I-797C Notice of Action with copy (2 pages)
I-765 Receipt - I-797C Notice of Action with copy (2 pages)
I-131 Receipt - I-797C Notice of Action with copy (2 pages)
ASC Appointment Notice - I-797C Notice of Action with copy (2 pages)
Social Security Card with copy (1 page)
I-94 Original and Most Recent (2 pages)
K-1 Visa with Passport Stamps (1 page)
Birth Certificate with English translation & certification (4 pages)
International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis
Shanghai International Travel Healthcare Center CD
Husband’s Birth Certificate with copy (2 pages)
Husband’s Passport with copy (2 pages)
Certified Copy of Marriage Document (3 pages)
2017 Tax Returns Filed Jointly (13 pages)
Photos of Relationship (19 pages/75 photos)

Copies of documents submitted are exact photocopies of unaltered documents and I understand that I may be required to submit original documents to an Immigration or Consular officer at a later date.

Signed,

Name
Date

Edited by orangesky35

Timeline
4 hours ago, orangesky35 said:

I feel like our interview was an outlier. It went wonderfully. I often read many horror stories on here, but I guess that people are more ready to share bad stories than they are good stories. We prepared a binder of everything the letter requested and even put a cover letter in to help push the "preparedness" message. The interviewer asked about our current location, our relationship history, and all the questions from Part 8 in the i485. They only asked to keep a photo as well as to keep a copy of our tax returns. We received the approval message 30 minutes later, and my wife got her green card in the mail this morning, 7 days after the interview. Here is our cover letter:

Names
Address
City, State, Zip
Phone #

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Address
Address
Address
City, State, Zip

Nature of interview: Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (Form I-485)

To Whom It May Concern:
Enclosed please find my supporting documents.

Contents Include:

Interview Notice - I-797C Notice of Action with copy (4 pages)
Government Issued Photo I.D. Passport with copy (2 page)
I-129F Approval Notice - I797 Notice of Action with copy (2 pages)
National Visa Center Case Number Notice with copy(2 pages)
I-485 Receipt - I-797C Notice of Action with copy (2 pages)
I-765 Receipt - I-797C Notice of Action with copy (2 pages)
I-131 Receipt - I-797C Notice of Action with copy (2 pages)
ASC Appointment Notice - I-797C Notice of Action with copy (2 pages)
Social Security Card with copy (1 page)
I-94 Original and Most Recent (2 pages)
K-1 Visa with Passport Stamps (1 page)
Birth Certificate with English translation & certification (4 pages)
International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis
Shanghai International Travel Healthcare Center CD
Husband’s Birth Certificate with copy (2 pages)
Husband’s Passport with copy (2 pages)
Certified Copy of Marriage Document (3 pages)
2017 Tax Returns Filed Jointly (13 pages)
Photos of Relationship (19 pages/75 photos)

Copies of documents submitted are exact photocopies of unaltered documents and I understand that I may be required to submit original documents to an Immigration or Consular officer at a later date.

Signed,

Name
Date

Thank you so much, so detailed...Congratulations!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.