wowcheesestick

This is my plan for adjustment of status - please advise!

68 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Orangesapples said:

It depends on the state, go to the website of your local DMV to find out the regulations of the state where you'll be living. 

Ya i agree that's why I said in IL 

34 minutes ago, Marzena & Stephen said:

Same 

From Canada

Can't work and I applied for a work permit 3.5 months ago

Now I can't drive because they won't extend my license without ead.. 

Can't travel outside of the USA 

It's a crazy waiting game

Please be sure you have enough money to support her while she isn't working because tons of expenses come up throughout the process. She may need vaccinations for her medical and the expenses of daily things while she is away from home. Just basics you don't normally think of :) good luck!

im in illinois and i can drive. A rule in Illinois allows B1/B2 holders and also AOS applicants to drive with a TVDL{TEMPORARY VISITOR DRIVER'S LICENCE}. It is valid for 3 years. Go to the nearest DMV and apply. you'll be required to take the test and driving exam.. goodluck.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, AOS JOURNEY said:

im in illinois and i can drive. A rule in Illinois allows B1/B2 holders and also AOS applicants to drive with a TVDL{TEMPORARY VISITOR DRIVER'S LICENCE}. It is valid for 3 years. Go to the nearest DMV and apply. you'll be required to take the test and driving exam.. goodluck.

I took the written but I wasn't required to take the driven because I had a Canadian license. They never gave me a choice to get a tvdl because I'm not a temporary visitor I moved her permanently    I really think it depends on the DMV 

13 minutes ago, AOS JOURNEY said:

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/dsd_tvdl4.pdf

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/dsd_tvdl3.pdf

I just looked up the rules for a TVDL in Illinois. One must have 12 months residency within the state to qualify for a TVDL ("The applicant must have resided in the State of Illinois for more than 12 ‘months."). This situation likely will not apply to the OP.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/dsd_tvdl21.pdf

Also, the applicant must not be eligible for an SSN. Once the OP gets an EAD, they will qualify for an SSN. "Documented immigrants with a VISA who cannot obtain a Social Security card can obtain a TVDL."

Edit: But it sounds like they could get a regular driver's license at that point.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

2 minutes ago, Marzena & Stephen said:

I took the written but I wasn't required to take the driven because I had a Canadian license. They never gave me a choice to get a tvdl because I'm not a temporary visitor I moved her permanently    I really think it depends on the DMV 

as long as you have stayed in illinois for a year, you qualify for a TVDL. contact DMV and ask them which location processesTVDL near you. i did mine at DMV Chicago West

3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I just looked up the rules for a TVDL in Illinois. One must have 12 months residency within the state to qualify for a TVDL ("The applicant must have resided in the State of Illinois for more than 12 ‘months."). This situation likely will not apply to the OP.

Very true

5 minutes ago, Marzena & Stephen said:

Once you get EAD and AP, are you then qualified to apply for a drivers license?

You should try California, wink wink.

7 minutes ago, geowrian said:

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/dsd_tvdl4.pdf

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/dsd_tvdl3.pdf

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/dsd_tvdl21.pdf

Also, the applicant must not be eligible for an SSN. Once the OP gets an EAD, they will qualify for an SSN. "Documented immigrants with a VISA who cannot obtain a Social Security card can obtain a TVDL."

Edit: But it sounds like they could get a regular driver's license at that point.

As long as you don't have your EAD in hand nor your SSN, You qualify for one..

1 minute ago, AOS JOURNEY said:

And lived in the state for at least 12 months...which I believe the OP's case is much more likely to get the EAD before a year of residence.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 minute ago, geowrian said:

And lived in the state for at least 12 months...which I believe the OP's case is much more likely to get the EAD before a year of residence.

yeah. I agree with that..

Timeline
6 minutes ago, AOS JOURNEY said:

Okay I have not been here 12 months

I do have an Illinois license expired on my i94 day

And I will probably get my ead before 12 months so I'll wait for that 

Thanks for the info 

I also have a Ssn# 

Edited by Marzena & Stephen

Now I am worried again. Does any one of you know if she can drive in new jersey and new york with a canadain drivers license? I currently have her insured in california and she is OK to drive in california.

lets say i file for AOS, and her vistor visa expires. she gets pulled over by a cop in new jersey/new york, will they deport her? or how does this even work?

Edited by wowcheesestick

1 minute ago, Marzena & Stephen said:

Okay I have not been here 12 months

I do have an Illinois license expired on my i94 day

And I will probably get my ead before 12 months so I'll wait for that 

Thanks for the info 

great..

Timeline
37 minutes ago, wowcheesestick said:

Now I am worried again. Does any one of you know if she can drive in new jersey and new york with a canadain drivers license? I currently have her insured in california and she is OK to drive in california.

lets say i file for AOS, and her vistor visa expires. she gets pulled over by a cop in new jersey/new york, will they deport her? or how does this even work?

If you become a New York State resident, you must get a New York State driver license within 30 days. If you have a valid driver license issued by another U.S. state or territory, federal district or Canadian province, you may be eligible to exchange it for a New York driver license (see Exchange an out-of-state license), or see other information about moving to New York.

it also mentions it takes 90 days to become a resident so I think 90 days makes more sense ...I'm not sure what they require to get a license besides swapping because I was able to swap here in illinois but the expiry was another issue 

Edited by Marzena & Stephen

Timeline
34 minutes ago, wowcheesestick said:

As mentioned several times in this thread----it does not matter if her visitor visa expires once you have filed the AOS----she will be in authorized stay.  They will not deport her if she gets pulled over for a traffic violation.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since she is already in America you can AOS and unauthorized stay is forgiven when married to a us citizen...BUT if an emergency  comes up and she has to leave ' she is screwed! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.