SemperFi0311

Green card holders delayed/waiting to ship for bootcamp due to the new DoD policy of Oct 2017

72 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, SemperFi0311 said:

Thank you for your input and congratulations for your husband naturalization! Your husband went to boot camp before the DoD released Its new policy in October 2017. Past that date, it seems that the average wait to ship for boot camp will be a year or +.

Thank you!

I'm sorry to hear that the wait period is that long. They may be doing more detailed security checks then my husband went through or it may be political. I'm not sure.

I have hope that the various parts of the government who are creating these issues for soldiers will get resolved soon.

For all Green card holders who enlisted, I got a great news.

I am in NY army National guard and also waiting for my background check to get my ship date since mine was canceled last Oct when they released new memo for Green card holder. 

Last week, one of our NCO talked to one of her recruit and  she said there is a number that we could call to see if our background check is done or not and even when it started. 

So, explaining myself, I enlisted Aug/17/2017 and 1st ship date Oct/30/2017 which canceled. 

I called today, they confirmed me that my background check started first week of December/2017 and said " since your investigation taking place more than 6month, it shouldn't be that long to finish but can't really tell you exact status, because we only know completed or not so call us few weeks later." I know this is not clearing actual our question but it helps i guess. 

and I guess every case is difference. my battle buddy who enlisted a week ago than me, his investigation started 1 month later after he signed contract. 

Hopefully this helps one of you guys who are waiting like me. number and instructions are below

OPM Number : 724-794-5612

Step. 1) call this number  2) press 2  3)press 4) once you connected, tell them you are in such military, green card holder waiting for the background check. And they will ask your SSN , Name, DOB and country of birth to confirm your identity and will let you know when it started if it is done, than they will say your is done.

I guess i have to wait like 6 more month comparing my battle buddy but I got little more hope . 

hope this help you guys. 

Edited by Bisoo TV

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had any news recently? My husband is in the Oregon National Guard and was supposed to ship October 30, 2017, but like everyone else with a green card was put on hold. His investigations have been complete for months and he is just waitin. We put in a congressional inquiry but have not heard anything from them. His base just keeps running him around in circles and we won’t get clear answers if when he is supposed to leave. Any updates or additional information would be greatly appreciated! 

Filed: Timeline

1.When did he enter the military ? As he is in the National Guard he has been in since his swear in at MEPS. When was that ?

2.When did the backgrounds checks officially finish ? It is supposed to only take about two months, and there are reports of much less time until someone gets the department’s permission to ship out. 

3. How did he find out they are done with the checks ? It can not hurt to call the OPM number and find out for sure if his one is still pending or closed.

36 minutes ago, lovethemidwest said:

1.When did he enter the military ? As he is in the National Guard he has been in since his swear in at MEPS. When was that ?

2.When did the backgrounds checks officially finish ? It is supposed to only take about two months, and there are reports of much less time until someone gets the department’s permission to ship out. 

3. How did he find out they are done with the checks ? It can not hurt to call the OPM number and find out for sure if his one is still pending or closed.

He swore in June 26, 2017. They finished his background check back in May I believe. They said they are waiting for an memorandum from Virginia to say he can ship. 

Filed: Timeline

Ok, so he already had his interview, and references contacted and everything ?

Then he is really almost done with the process and if his investigation finished in May, then the wait for the department’s good to go should come in not too long. Normally it is about 2 months, but as you know.....things can become, well, delayed. Should not be too much longer.

But I would not be worried as of yet.

1 hour ago, lovethemidwest said:

Ok, so he already had his interview, and references contacted and everything ?

Then he is really almost done with the process and if his investigation finished in May, then the wait for the department’s good to go should come in not too long. Normally it is about 2 months, but as you know.....things can become, well, delayed. Should not be too much longer.

But I would not be worried as of yet.

Yes he had his interview, his references were contacted and his recruiter was told that everything was cleared. I just wonder if anyone has been shipped yet with a green card that enlisted last year around the same time? It seems like an awfully long time to wait to have people ship out. I’m just worried because at the end of this year we need to file to have his conditions removed off his green card and I’m worried that he won’t be here to do that process with me. His recruiter said that he is still going to be naturalized at the end of boot camp, but who knows these days. Anything can change. 

Hello, Guys,

I am on the same situation. I enlisted in July 2017 in the Army National Guard. My Ship date was postponed due to DOD memo. My investigation started in April. they talked to my references and my classmate and even my wife . 

I have 2 important concerns. The first one is our citizenship process takes longer, so based on new policies I have to serve one year and after that apply for naturalization. The second concern is I am not sure that this background check is equivalent to the Security Clarence. 

I do not agree with you for 2 reasons. The first reason is that I asked same question from my investigator and she responded that " Yes, the permanent residence applicant can get TS/S clearance. Nowadays due to their speciality skill that is demanding, OPM is processing their clearance. The second reason is I have read in another website the a LPR applicant enlisted in the Air force's career which needs Clearance. He stated, " I was told I will need a secret clearance for my job (that is open for non citizens) by my recruiter, he said that the investigation for this needs to be conducted first before going to basic training and that this is a new rule." 

Thanks

Well Recently I got an interview with the B.I investigator and my references getting contacted from them too. The normal procedures are .1 done with B.I (ur case closed) 2 they will send ur info to DoD 3. Dod will call or send you letter to ur unit head usually 1st sergeant or higher thab u go down to meps and set the new date again. 

some of u asked if anybody left for the bct w/ green card who were in DEP, yes. multiple states recruits shipped already. In NY state, and in my area, 2 already got their new shipdate. 

and abt the citizenship, what i heard is we dont fall into that new policy for the naturalization. one of my friend in guard, he got his citizenship after 3 months when he returned from bct and ait. But I guess it is sure that  they no longer process citizenship while in reception nor bct and ait. ( they do tell ppl to prepare but they are not geting done their process while in the training)

On 7/31/2018 at 7:48 PM, Bisoo TV said:

Well Recently I got an interview with the B.I investigator and my references getting contacted from them too. The normal procedures are .1 done with B.I (ur case closed) 2 they will send ur info to DoD 3. Dod will call or send you letter to ur unit head usually 1st sergeant or higher thab u go down to meps and set the new date again. 

some of u asked if anybody left for the bct w/ green card who were in DEP, yes. multiple states recruits shipped already. In NY state, and in my area, 2 already got their new shipdate. 

and abt the citizenship, what i heard is we dont fall into that new policy for the naturalization. one of my friend in guard, he got his citizenship after 3 months when he returned from bct and ait. But I guess it is sure that  they no longer process citizenship while in reception nor bct and ait. ( they do tell ppl to prepare but they are not geting done their process while in the training)

My husband’s background check was concluded on June 11 and set to DOD, we called OPM today and found out. Typically how long after should it take now that it’s completed for him to go to meps for a ship date?

Guys unfortunately investigations with the DOD are backlogged tremendously. This goes for green card holders investigations, clearances, everything and I mean everything. I am a USC with a Filipina wife and my clearance paperwork took almost 10 months. So the key right now is patience and just waiting. 

hey guys, just for your information, this case is currently in litigation in a class-action lawsuit:

https://www.aclusocal.org/en/press-releases/aclu-sues-defense-department-effectively-banning-green-card-holders-military

So here's to hoping that before the end of the year, a federal court will take a look into this and hopefully gets rid of this new policy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.