CassJ

Green card holders delayed/waiting to ship for bootcamp due to the new DoD policy of Oct 2017

72 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, elladan33 said:

hey guys, just for your information, this case is currently in litigation in a class-action lawsuit:

https://www.aclusocal.org/en/press-releases/aclu-sues-defense-department-effectively-banning-green-card-holders-military

So here's to hoping that before the end of the year, a federal court will take a look into this and hopefully gets rid of this new policy.

Why do you hope it gets rid of the policy? People need to be vetted before they join the military that is pretty simple. 

1 hour ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Why do you hope it gets rid of the policy? People need to be vetted before they join the military that is pretty simple. 

If you are a permanent resident, you have already been vetted numerous times, yet you can't enlist. The background check may take up to a year (or more. Nobody knows). If you are a US citizen, you can enlist while your background check is still pending. The purpose of the lawsuit is to fix this disparity and change it to what it used to be before the Oct '17 memo.

Filed: Timeline
11 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Guys unfortunately investigations with the DOD are backlogged tremendously. This goes for green card holders investigations, clearances, everything and I mean everything. I am a USC with a Filipina wife and my clearance paperwork took almost 10 months. So the key right now is patience and just waiting. 

You are completely right, and everyone who intends to join the military has to learn to deal with “hurry up and wait”.

thank you also for serving.

Keep one thing in mind though, please: The affected applicants are already vetted by their status as Green Card holders. The new policy also does not create any difference in the amount or level of vetting, it just requires the vetting to be completed before the individuals may enter the armed forces. Before that it used to be that these applicants could start serving while the checks were conducted.

I also do believe that the frustrating part is that nobody knows when they can start serving. In the meantime those applicants are stuck in some sort of limbo not knowing if they should even hold their breath for it to work out within the next year (some people have been waiting for 16 months now).

Lastly, the jobs that GC holders are allowed to accept are already extremely limited, due to the security risk. Therefore I think it is only natural that for some it feels like an outright ban to servic even when that is in reality not the case. 

For National Guard.

1- LPRs are in what is called the Recruit Force Pool (RFP). we are in delayed trainee for 1 year on a inactive National Guard contract. 

2- Once MSSD and NSD results are received by the NGB, then you will go to MEPS to be renegotiated into an MOS option, Incentive, and ship date based on their eligibility and sign the necessary documentation which reflects enlistment into the Selected Reserve. this is in a sense a new contract. 

3- The time served in the RFP will count toward the Soldier's Military Service Obligation (MSO) Inactive Ready Reserve (IRR) obligation of the enlistment contract.

4- In the event the RFP Soldier fails to enlist or is determined to not be qualified to contract into the SELRES, the RRB will notify the Military Personnel Office to discharge the RFP Soldier

I wish this information helped.

Are you in the National Guard ? If so that is great because you are already “in” the Military. You most likely have attended some drills for which you must have gotten paid. Hopefully that means they work faster on you background checks.

I checked by the way and was assured that as long as you are a GC holder you can not get a clearance.

Yes Lovethemidwest I enlisted in the National Guard, and I have done some drills . After that memo, they did not want me to come to the drills. 

You are right, I can not get clearance as a GC. Actually , I have been thinking to change my branch because it seems that I must sign a new contract with a new MOS. I don't know what happens if I don't want to sign or changing my branch.

Do you guys know if it would interfere with the background check's process if I applied to citizenship on my own? I currently qualify for citizenship under my spouse but was waiting on getting it through the military (since it's free), but time wise, not sure what it's the best option....also, I don't know if I applied to citizenship while the background check is pending would slow down my military enlistment.

16 hours ago, Fasteve said:

This article has little if not nothing to do with the topic here.

It deals with applicants for the failed and discontinued MAVNI program.

I feel sorry for those applicants. However, their entire recruiting process as well as their background check and their citizenship procedure is very different from the one of GC holders.

I even think this failed project is responsible for the higher scrutiny for GC holders now.

Nytimes :

In recent years, though, the Defense Department has tightened its vetting of immigrant recruits. Now, soldiers joining up to be clerks, mechanics and surgeons face the kinds of extensive background checks that were formerly conducted for troops who needed top secret clearance. The added layers of scrutiny include screenings by the C.I.A. and F.B.I., a review of at least a decade’s worth of personal finances, an exhaustive questionnaire and numerous lengthy interviews.

I think in the Trump era we are reaching a point that we would say never mind joining the military we need to do anything to stay in the U.S. 

Now the Trump administration wants to limit citizenship for legal immigrants

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/now-trump-administration-wants-limit-citizenship-legal-immigrants-n897931

• 2 weeks later...

I am a green card holder and I joined national guard in Aug '17 and my ship date was November 13th but got postponed because of this new policy. And my RSP told me a week before I was suppose to leave. Since then my RSP has told me a lot of different things but my case is still pending. I finally applied for citizenship 4 days ago. I told my SSG and she was super excited and this is the latest response I got from her. "Well the expedited process occurs at Basic Training. SO if you have already started it, they will finish it while you are at basic. We are still waiting to hear back on the tier 3 level investigation since you have been in for 1 year now. Once they uplift it, we can get you ship date."

Hopefully this helps and we all go to BCT and serve our country.

Edited by nguard24

On 8/24/2018 at 9:41 PM, nguard24 said:

I am a green card holder and I joined national guard in Aug '17 and my ship date was November 13th but got postponed because of this new policy. And my RSP told me a week before I was suppose to leave. Since then my RSP has told me a lot of different things but my case is still pending. I finally applied for citizenship 4 days ago. I told my SSG and she was super excited and this is the latest response I got from her. "Well the expedited process occurs at Basic Training. SO if you have already started it, they will finish it while you are at basic. We are still waiting to hear back on the tier 3 level investigation since you have been in for 1 year now. Once they uplift it, we can get you ship date."

Hopefully this helps and we all go to BCT and serve our country.

Hello nguard,

I am in the National Guard and enlisted in Aug 2017. My RSP has told me a lot of different things . SSG was changed and the new one asked me to come to the drills after 8 months. I told him that I need to pass background check and after that come to the drills, but he said you are in the RSP not in the FFP.

Are you going to the drills?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.