Irene_sss

2018 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE

764 posts in this topic

Just now, Coco8 said:

Other could be your CV or any other paper that is not any of the items listed. Some people send additional material. You should not worry about it.

NIH has a separate request and you have to send them a letter about your waiver. Did you do that? 

Hello and thank you for the quick reply,

Yes, I did. NIH requested my DOS case number, my signed contract indicating that I have accepted the position at the USA university, an e-mail with predefined text that I accept the NIH waiver policy and another e-mail with pre-defined text that my former laboratory submitted to them indicating that they also understand and accept the NIH waiver policy. NIH made it clear, however, that they cannot review anything until DOS sends them an official request for their sponsor views. I hope they don't need me to send them everything again but I will check back with my NIH DIS contact once the DOS website updates.

I am guessing (or hoping) that if anything is missing from my case, DOS will raise an alarm of some sort and let me know?

5 minutes ago, vzachari said:

Hello and thank you for the quick reply,

Yes, I did. NIH requested my DOS case number, my signed contract indicating that I have accepted the position at the USA university, an e-mail with predefined text that I accept the NIH waiver policy and another e-mail with pre-defined text that my former laboratory submitted to them indicating that they also understand and accept the NIH waiver policy. NIH made it clear, however, that they cannot review anything until DOS sends them an official request for their sponsor views. I hope they don't need me to send them everything again but I will check back with my NIH DIS contact once the DOS website updates.

I am guessing (or hoping) that if anything is missing from my case, DOS will raise an alarm of some sort and let me know?

DOS will take a couple of weeks to request the sponsor views. Once they do, I would e-mail NIH to say "Just to give you a heads up, DOS sent you the request on X date" so that they do not miss it. 

Just now, Annina85 said:

Thanks @Coco8!!! My doubt was on form I 612.

That is something UCSIS does. You don't have to do anything.

6 hours ago, Annina85 said:

@Coco8Do you know if they will send me the NOA by mail or by e-mail?

Everything is by mail.

Some people sign up for the USPS service (which is free) that allows you to see the letters you are going to receive. They scan the letters and you get to see them before they arrive. It is a good way of not missing the letter. 

It is a simple white envelope so be careful not to confuse it with junk. I think it said UCSIS but sometimes I get so much junk that it is easy to miss stuff.

1 hour ago, Coco8 said:

Everything is by mail.

Some people sign up for the USPS service (which is free) that allows you to see the letters you are going to receive. They scan the letters and you get to see them before they arrive. It is a good way of not missing the letter. 

It is a simple white envelope so be careful not to confuse it with junk. I think it said UCSIS but sometimes I get so much junk that it is easy to miss stuff.

thank you!!!!!!

5 hours ago, Duckee said:

@Coco8 I did check the status online and for two months it just say Case was received at another office. Called USCIS twice and the second time I ask of I can talk to a Level 2 officer CR got an attitude because she felt that I don’t trust what she was saying

Some people have waited two months or longer for their waiver. I'm not sure why some of them take longer, but if they have received it, there is not much you can do.

Quick update on my case, last week I finally received a favorable recommendation from DOS. This is my revised timeline:

Department of State Advisory Opinion Finding: Favorable Recommendation

Item Action Date
Recommendation Sent June, 05 2018
Other Received May, 22 2018
Change of Address Received May, 18 2018
No Objection Statement Received April, 13 2018
Fee Received March, 29 2018
Form DS-3035 Received March, 29 2018
Form DS-2019 Received March, 29 2018
Passport Data Page Received March, 29 2018
Statement Of Reason Received March, 29 2018

Waiting to get the NOA from USCIS so I can start following that up. Does anyone know how long does it take to get the NOA from the moment DOS sends the recommendation?

How long do i need to wait...

I see above that people who's documents were received May 16, 2018 have been issued recommendation. How long would it take for the USCIS to release i-797

Department of State Advisory Opinion Finding: Pending

Item Action Date
Fee Received May, 10 2018
Form DS-3035 Received May, 10 2018
Form DS-2019 Received May, 10 2018
Passport Data Page Received May, 10 2018
Statement Of Reason Received May, 10 2018
No Objection Statement Received May, 03 2018

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.