Irene_sss

2018 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE

764 posts in this topic

Timeline
5 minutes ago, ericaBR said:

Hi Brazilian! I am also Brazilian and now living the J-1 Waiver drama. Would you, please, help me with these questions??

Were you in Brazil during this process?

Did the Brazilian Consulate sent the non-objection letter via e-mail or by mailing it? They sent mine via e-mail to the DoS but that sounds weird because it is written on the Third Party Barcode Page that they should mail it... 

:)

Hey! 

Yeah, I was in Brazil during the whole process. The embassy sent the No Objection Statement directly to the Department of State but they also sent me a copy via email, so that's probably why you got it.

Hope you get rid of this drama soon.

J1 Waiver

• 1/9/2018 - Packet shipped 🚚
  • 1/15/2018 - Packet delivered 📨
  • 1/16/2018 - Check cashed 💸
  • 1/30/2018 - Documents received 📨
  • 1/31/2018 - Requested embassy to send No Objection Statement 📄
  • 2/2/2018 - Embassy sent No Objection Statement to DoS ✉️
  • 2/2/2018 - No Objection Statement received 📨
  • 3/26/2018 - Favorable Recommendation 🎉
  • 4/2/2018 - USCIS Received 📨
  • 4/18/2018 - Approved 🎉

K1 Visa

• 10/5/2017 - Application Received 📨
  • 10/10/2017 - NOA1 📄
  • 3/30/2018 - NOA2 🎉
  • 4/25/2018 - NVC received 📨
  • 4/26/2018 - Case number assigned, CEAC In Transit 🚚
  • 5/3/2018 - CEAC Ready
  • 6/18/2018 - Medical 💉
  • 6/19/2018 - Interview - Approved! 🎉
  • 6/20/2018 - CEAC Application Received 📨
  • 6/21/2018 - CEAC Administrative processing 💤
  • 6/21/2018 - CEAC Issued ✉️
  • 7/2/2018 - Visa in hands 🛂
  • 7/6/2018 - POE 🛬
  • 8/18/2018 - Married! 🎊

AOS

• 9/7/2018 - Packet shipped 🚚
  • 9/11/2018 - NOA1 📄
  • 9/12/2018 - Check cashed 💸
  • 9/14/2018 - Biometrics Appointment Notice 📄
  • 9/17/2018 - NOA1 Hard copy 📄
  • 9/21/2018 - Biometrics Appointment Hard copy 📄
  • [Somewhere in between] RFE
  • 10/5/2018 - Biometrics Appt/Fingerprint review was complete 🛂
  • 11/20/2018 - RFE response 📤
  • 12/26/2018 - Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview
  • 1/10/2018 - Interview Was Scheduled 📅
  • 2/4/2019 - EAD+AP approved 🎉
  • 2/9/2019 - EAD+AP combo card in the mail ✉️
  • 2/21/2019 - Interview
  • 2/21/2019 - Interview was completed and case must be reviewed 
  • 3/12/2019 - New card is being produced
  • 3/18/2019 - Card Was Picked Up By The United States Postal Service

Removal of Conditions

• 3/24/2021 - Filed
  • 4/21/2021 - NOA1
  • 6/28/2021 - Biometrics
  • 9/29/2022 - Request for additional evidence
  • 10/18/2022 - RFE response sent
  • 10/26/2022 - RFE response received
  • 11/22/2022 - New card is being produced
  • 11/23/2022 - Case was approved
  • 11/25/2022 - Card Was Mailed To Me (Updated 11/28/2022)
  • 11/28/2022 - Card Was Picked Up By The United States Postal Service
  • 11/30/2022 - Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Hello Everyone,

I am extremely worried because I sent all my documents in March, the department state received my application March 29, the Embassy of Canada sent the "non objection" letter on April 12, and I still can't see anything in the system of the J1waiver. Is it something that other people experience? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi !

I am a French researcher who benefits from a Dos international visiting program of two weeks last year and then subject to the 2 years requirement. I found a job in a US University and need to ask for a J1Waiver. Here is my timeline, they are waiting for the sponsor views of my visiting, who is the DoS. Do you think I need to write to the responsible of my visiting program in the DoS to hurry up things? My job in the University begin mid August but I feel the timing will be tight, what is your opinion? How long does it take between the DoS recommandation and the time we can ask for the H1B visa? I saw it can be very long in some cases. Thank you very much !

waiver_timeline.png

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi all,

this is my timeline. I'm waiting for the I979 receipt from USCIS now. Anyone with a similar timeline? Do you suggest to call USCIS to have updates?

DoS notification received in the mail May, 08 2018

Recommendation DoS Sent May, 01 2018

No Objection Statement Received April, 20 2018

Fee Received April, 11 2018

Form DS-3035 Received April, 11 2018

Form DS-2019 ReceivedApril, 11 2018

Passport Data Page Received April, 11 2018

Statement Of Reason Received April, 11 2018

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 2018-05-20 at 11:13 AM, frafra said:

Hi all,

this is my timeline. I'm waiting for the I979 receipt from USCIS now. Anyone with a similar timeline? Do you suggest to call USCIS to have updates?

DoS notification received in the mail May, 08 2018

Recommendation DoS Sent May, 01 2018

No Objection Statement Received April, 20 2018

Fee Received April, 11 2018

Form DS-3035 Received April, 11 2018

Form DS-2019 ReceivedApril, 11 2018

Passport Data Page Received April, 11 2018

Statement Of Reason Received April, 11 2018

Thanks!

Hi frafra, I think we are in the same boat, in my case USCIS has received DOS notification on May 14th 2018. Have you received any news ate this point?

I have seen cases of people receiving it in 15 to 20 days, but the lawyers that are helping me suggested 6 to 8 weeks.

As of today I have not received anything I also would like to hear from other users whether or not to call USCIS.

Thanks,

On 4/15/2018 at 8:00 PM, Coco8 said:

If you did not get government funding and you have the 2 year residency requirement because of the skills list, then the statement is not that important.

If you are in the 2nd category, just write that you would like the opportunity to apply the knowledge you acquired in the appropriate type of job to further your career and that there in the US there are specialized jobs that you would not find somewhere else. Something like that.

If you got government funding, then you have to write a lot more.

Hi Coco, so i fall into the second category and my lawyer misled me and i filed the no objection on only to later find out that i stood no chance. I finally filed the hardship waiver but based on all the research i've done, 99.9 percent of hardship waivers have been denied. Its already been 6 months since I filed that with uscis and DOS. And for both agencies, the only status and update is received. Any suggestion and also have you heard any happy ending concerning waiver based on hardship?

52 minutes ago, Stylish said:

Hi Coco, so i fall into the second category and my lawyer misled me and i filed the no objection on only to later find out that i stood no chance. I finally filed the hardship waiver but based on all the research i've done, 99.9 percent of hardship waivers have been denied. Its already been 6 months since I filed that with uscis and DOS. And for both agencies, the only status and update is received. Any suggestion and also have you heard any happy ending concerning waiver based on hardship?

Which agency/office gave you the funding? How long did you get the funding for? What was the funding for? There is a lot of variation on what they say.

Did you apply for a no objection and did it got deny? Or did you do the hardship directly? Do you have family in the US that are US citizens or residents? (e.g. wife, kids) 

Lawyers have no clue about waivers. Only under very specific circumstances they do. I asked a lawyer over the phone about my case and he said I would not get it, to do a hardship one (he just wanted to change me like 6,000 and the timing of the hardship waiver did not work for me). I read only about everything and realized I had no chance for hardship and it made no sense. In the end, I got the no objection, but it was also because of the type of funding, that it was very short amount of time, my essay, etc. I cannot say if something made a difference, but it worked out.

Edited by Coco8

38 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

Which agency/office gave you the funding? How long did you get the funding for? What was the funding for? There is a lot of variation on what they say.

Did you apply for a no objection and did it got deny? Or did you do the hardship directly? Do you have family in the US that are US citizens or residents? (e.g. wife, kids) 

Lawyers have no clue about waivers. Only under very specific circumstances they do. I asked a lawyer over the phone about my case and he said I would not get it, to do a hardship one (he just wanted to change me like 6,000 and the timing of the hardship waiver did not work for me). I read only about everything and realized I had no chance for hardship and it made no sense. In the end, I got the no objection, but it was also because of the type of funding, that it was very short amount of time, my essay, etc. I cannot say if something made a difference, but it worked out.

I had government (DOS) funding for about a month. I first filed a no objection which i later realized wasn't necessary in my case. It was denied. And now, I've filed a hardship based on my U.S. citizen husband and US born child. It's been pending for about 6 months now. Did you have government funding?

Edited by Stylish

49 minutes ago, Stylish said:

I had government (DOS) funding for about a month. I first filed a no objection which i later realized wasn't necessary in my case. It was denied. And now, I've filed a hardship based on my U.S. citizen husband and US born child. It's been pending for about 6 months now. Did you have government funding?

But which office within DOS funded your program? And what level of education do you have? 

Yes, I had government funding for 20 days. It was sort of an exchange government program. After that, I did a MA-PhD in the US, totally unrelated to the DOS program, and the reason for the waiver was related to the PhD because I got a job after the PhD.

Hi everyone,

I'm applying for a J1 waiver under the "no objection" basis, I am subject to the 2 year rule because of the skills list requirement. DoS received my no objection statement on April 13th and I still haven't received any response from them. Here's my official timeline:

Other Received May, 22 2018
Change of Address Received May, 18 2018
No Objection Statement Received April, 13 2018
Fee Received March, 29 2018
Form DS-3035 Received March, 29 2018
Form DS-2019 Received March, 29 2018
Passport Data Page Received March, 29 2018
Statement Of Reason Received March, 29 2018

I've sent them an email asking for more information but they just say that the 6 to 8 weeks are just an estimate and it could take longer than that. I'm especially worried because after this I'm expecting also a month (or more) of wait time while my case is at USCIS. I have a job offer waiting for me in California. Is there a phone number I can call or someone I can talk to?

Also, I sent two self-addressed UPS envelopes with my packet. Does anyone know if DoS accepts those or do they only accept US Post self-addressed envelopes? Could that be a reason why it has taken so long?

6 hours ago, Coco8 said:

But which office within DOS funded your program? And what level of education do you have? 

Yes, I had government funding for 20 days. It was sort of an exchange government program. After that, I did a MA-PhD in the US, totally unrelated to the DOS program, and the reason for the waiver was related to the PhD because I got a job after the PhD.

I have no idea which office within the Dos funded the program but it was a leadership program. And I was a third year bsc student when I came on the program. I've since been trying to continue but because of no immigration papers whatsoever, I still can't. I can't get a job neither can I go to school. It's frustrating and sad. It's been like four years now since I've been trying to get around this. Lawyers eating money, time is passing by and so on and so forth.

18 minutes ago, Stylish said:

I have no idea which office within the Dos funded the program but it was a leadership program. And I was a third year bsc student when I came on the program. I've since been trying to continue but because of no immigration papers whatsoever, I still can't. I can't get a job neither can I go to school. It's frustrating and sad. It's been like four years now since I've been trying to get around this. Lawyers eating money, time is passing by and so on and so forth.

The office is on your DS 2019 along with the type of J1 visa. There are plenty of types. 

What have you been doing in the US? I thought the program lasted only one month. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.