SAlove18

South African K1 Visa applicants

1,801 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
Just now, HOORAY7 said:

@LuFlolady  Sure can!  The only attachment I can't put on here because the file is too big is the medical appointment info for JOBURG.  But if anyone wants that, email me at goop7@msn.com and I will respond to you with it.  Also, since this response is so long, it will not let me attach the K1 instruction sheet, so I will add that in a response to this, so it should show up in the next window.

A little history:
We were approved by USCIS on 15 Oct 17
Our package did not arrive at NVC from USCIS until 13 Nov 17
Our letter from NVC to me (petitioner) was mailed on 16 Nov 17, I received it on 20 Nov and the SA Consulate received it 22 Nov 17. 
We received, via email, the attached letter of instructions (I believe this is the packet 3 instructions, because it’s all we received) on 22 Nov 17. So ensure you both check your email addresses, it came to my email address, but addressed to my fiancé because they had my email because i’m the petitioner.  But both of you should be checking your email inbox and spam, just in case your filters are pushing it to the spam folder.
On 27 Nov 17, my fiancé filed her DS-160 applications (herself and her two boys) online at the website listed in the attached K1 instructions (1). 
My fiancé scheduled her medicals and because of the holidays and the fact there is only one dr in JOBURG for Visa physicals, her appointment was not until 11 Dec 17.
You cannot schedule an interview until you’ve had your medical, but what I am telling people (based off our experience and delay), schedule your interview right after you have scheduled your medical; BUT be sure to schedule the interview at least a week AFTER you have completed both days of the medical.  The medical is a 2 day process, but spread over a 3 day period, there is a day in between the 2 appointments.
*Remember they only schedule VISA appointments the last 2 weeks of every month and only on Tues and Thursday’s.
You can schedule it as indicated on the K1 instructions sheet. When you schedule your interview is when you will pay the $265, either in US dollars or ZAR, Kerren paid in ZAR because it was her credit card she used.
The K1 instruction sheet I enclosed is everything you will need to bring to your interview. The DS-2001 listed on the SA Consulate interview page is no longer required, I confirmed that today via email from the Consulate.
If you ever have a question for the consulate, they have been wonderful replying to all my emails, usually 1-2 day response time.
Our interview is on 20 March, it was quite disappointing to have to wait 3 months, but because of the holidays they said, appointments in Jan/Feb went fast, didn’t make sense, but none the less we have our date.  That is why I suggest to people to schedule the interview AFTER you get your medical scheduled and schedule the interview for at least a week after the last day of your medical, this gives them time to get your medical results to the consulate for your interview.

If you follow the K1 instruction sheet (Packet 3 in my opinion) you will be fine and this is the letter you are waiting for from the Consulate via email.
Best of luck to you all, not an easy process, glad to help with any questions and I will definitely update you all after the interview.
Julie
Remember the K1 instruction sheet I will put in my next response since this is so long it won't let me attach it.

@LuFlolady  Ok I have no idea why this is not letting m attach it, I've put the K1 instruction sheet (Packet 3) here 2 times before.  So for now, those that want it and you will, email me at goop7@msn.com .  Again, this is what you will get from the S A Consulate in regards to your Packet 3 and instructions.  Sorry everyone,  I don't know why it's not letting me attach it, keeps saying the size is too big, but it's not.

18 minutes ago, HOORAY7 said:

@LuFlolady  Sure can!  The only attachment I can't put on here because the file is too big is the medical appointment info for JOBURG.  But if anyone wants that, email me at goop7@msn.com and I will respond to you with it.  Also, since this response is so long, it will not let me attach the K1 instruction sheet, so I will add that in a response to this, so it should show up in the next window.

A little history:
We were approved by USCIS on 15 Oct 17
Our package did not arrive at NVC from USCIS until 13 Nov 17
Our letter from NVC to me (petitioner) was mailed on 16 Nov 17, I received it on 20 Nov and the SA Consulate received it 22 Nov 17. 
We received, via email, the attached letter of instructions (I believe this is the packet 3 instructions, because it’s all we received) on 22 Nov 17. So ensure you both check your email addresses, it came to my email address, but addressed to my fiancé because they had my email because i’m the petitioner.  But both of you should be checking your email inbox and spam, just in case your filters are pushing it to the spam folder.
On 27 Nov 17, my fiancé filed her DS-160 applications (herself and her two boys) online at the website listed in the attached K1 instructions (1). 
My fiancé scheduled her medicals and because of the holidays and the fact there is only one dr in JOBURG for Visa physicals, her appointment was not until 11 Dec 17.
You cannot schedule an interview until you’ve had your medical, but what I am telling people (based off our experience and delay), schedule your interview right after you have scheduled your medical; BUT be sure to schedule the interview at least a week AFTER you have completed both days of the medical.  The medical is a 2 day process, but spread over a 3 day period, there is a day in between the 2 appointments.
*Remember they only schedule VISA appointments the last 2 weeks of every month and only on Tues and Thursday’s.
You can schedule it as indicated on the K1 instructions sheet. When you schedule your interview is when you will pay the $265, either in US dollars or ZAR, Kerren paid in ZAR because it was her credit card she used.
The K1 instruction sheet I enclosed is everything you will need to bring to your interview. The DS-2001 listed on the SA Consulate interview page is no longer required, I confirmed that today via email from the Consulate.
If you ever have a question for the consulate, they have been wonderful replying to all my emails, usually 1-2 day response time.
Our interview is on 20 March, it was quite disappointing to have to wait 3 months, but because of the holidays they said, appointments in Jan/Feb went fast, didn’t make sense, but none the less we have our date.  That is why I suggest to people to schedule the interview AFTER you get your medical scheduled and schedule the interview for at least a week after the last day of your medical, this gives them time to get your medical results to the consulate for your interview.

If you follow the K1 instruction sheet (Packet 3 in my opinion) you will be fine and this is the letter you are waiting for from the Consulate via email.
Best of luck to you all, not an easy process, glad to help with any questions and I will definitely update you all after the interview.
Julie
Remember the K1 instruction sheet I will put in my next response since this is so long it won't let me attach it.

Thank you!

Luflolady

Jan 26th: Mailed I-129F

Jan 29th NOA1

Feb 2nd: Check Cashed

Feb 9th: rcvd hard copy of NOA1

Aug. 28th Notified of RFE being mailed

Sept. 1st received hard copy of RFE in the mail

Sept. 4th mailed response to RFE

Sept. 10th received txt that my response to RFE was received

Oct. 10th Received txt that we were approved (NOA2) 30days after RFE response

Oct. 13th received hard copy of NOA2

Oct. 31st case arrived at NVC

Nov 2nd received case number

Nov. 19th Case is "ready" to schedule an interview

Feb. 14th Interview (2019) APPROVED!!!!!!

AOS

July 24th: mailed AOS pkt

July 31st: received txt msg of receipt numbers for all documents

Aug 5th received NOA hard copies dated July 31st

Aug. 9th received Biometrics letter in the mail

Aug. 19th Biometrics appt.

Sept. 20th notified of RFE via website 

Sept. 25th Received hard copy of RFE (copy of BC)

Sept. 27th Sent response to RFE

Sept. 30th Response was delivered

Oct. 2nd... Response to evidence received updated on website

Feb 12, 2020 case is ready to schedule for interview

Feb 12, 2020 New card is being produced (EAD)
Feb 13, 2020 Notification that EAD  and AP was approved

Feb 18,2020 received hard copies of AP and EAD approval

Feb 18,2020 notification AOS interview scheduled and EAD mailed

Feb 20, 2020 received EAD card

Feb 24, 2020 received interview letter (March24th)

Aug 4, 2020 received notification of new interview date(rescheduled because of pandemic)

Sept. 14th new AOS interview
Oct. 30th AOS approval

Nov. 9th New card is being produced

11 minutes ago, HOORAY7 said:

@LuFlolady  Ok I have no idea why this is not letting m attach it, I've put the K1 instruction sheet (Packet 3) here 2 times before.  So for now, those that want it and you will, email me at goop7@msn.com .  Again, this is what you will get from the S A Consulate in regards to your Packet 3 and instructions.  Sorry everyone,  I don't know why it's not letting me attach it, keeps saying the size is too big, but it's not.

ha! didn't realize you had already posted it and that you already emailed me everything lol TY sending positive vibes your way

Luflolady

Jan 29th NOA1

AOS

Aug 4, 2020 received notification of new interview date(rescheduled because of pandemic)

Oct. 30th AOS approval

Timeline
1 minute ago, LuFlolady said:

ha! didn't realize you had already posted it and that you already emailed me everything lol TY sending positive vibes your way

Thank you, right back at ya too!!

Timeline

Hi Guys

Me and my Fiance filled on the 4th December 2018 and we got the NOA1 on the 18th December 2018. We got a INS Lawyer that help us prepare the documents for us. My Fiance lives in Jacksonville Florida. While waiting upon the NOA2 I applied for the Unabridged birth certificate at Home Affairs in South-Africa. I am from Pothchefstroom.  We had a bit of a hickup with them as they imported the wrong information on my birth certificate so I had to wait 8 weeks for it. But at least this hurdle is past now.

I have a few questions for after the NOA2 notice:

1. The package that is send from the NVC to the Embassy where your interview will take place, did they send it with courier like DHL because the SA Post office is unreliable these days. I still wait for a parcel to reach me from my fiance that was send on the 28th January 2018. I am just worried that the hold up with the package will take more time.

2. The schedule of interview does the Lawyer do that or do I need to fill out he online form? I'm so worried that I will fill out the wrong information. I guess I have to ask the Lawyer then how it's going to work.

3. I know the Lawyer told us to wait with the police clearance till the NOA2 notice but my concern is will the Police clearance reach us in time? I heard that some people waited like 2 months for theirs. Is there a third party that do these police clearances faster?

4. Then I noticed that the Immigrant Medical exam is situated in Sandton. Do they send your medical exam result to the embassy or can you keep it and take it with the package for the K1 interview?

5. Is there anything that I should prepare for except the Police clearance, Birth certificate, Proof of relationship with photo's? The rest is handled through our Lawyer.

I would appreciate it if someone can answer my questions.

Zel

Timeline
16 hours ago, Vintage girl said:

Hi Guys

Me and my Fiance filled on the 4th December 2018 and we got the NOA1 on the 18th December 2018. We got a INS Lawyer that help us prepare the documents for us. My Fiance lives in Jacksonville Florida. While waiting upon the NOA2 I applied for the Unabridged birth certificate at Home Affairs in South-Africa. I am from Pothchefstroom.  We had a bit of a hickup with them as they imported the wrong information on my birth certificate so I had to wait 8 weeks for it. But at least this hurdle is past now.

I have a few questions for after the NOA2 notice:

1. The package that is send from the NVC to the Embassy where your interview will take place, did they send it with courier like DHL because the SA Post office is unreliable these days. I still wait for a parcel to reach me from my fiance that was send on the 28th January 2018. I am just worried that the hold up with the package will take more time.

2. The schedule of interview does the Lawyer do that or do I need to fill out he online form? I'm so worried that I will fill out the wrong information. I guess I have to ask the Lawyer then how it's going to work.

3. I know the Lawyer told us to wait with the police clearance till the NOA2 notice but my concern is will the Police clearance reach us in time? I heard that some people waited like 2 months for theirs. Is there a third party that do these police clearances faster?

4. Then I noticed that the Immigrant Medical exam is situated in Sandton. Do they send your medical exam result to the embassy or can you keep it and take it with the package for the K1 interview?

5. Is there anything that I should prepare for except the Police clearance, Birth certificate, Proof of relationship with photo's? The rest is handled through our Lawyer.

I would appreciate it if someone can answer my questions.

Zel

@Vintage girl

Zel,

Sorry just getting to this:

1.  NVC sends the package I would assume by DHL because our package didn't take long to go from NVC to the embassy.  I understand about the mail there, it is very slow but it will not be a problem

2.  You will make the interview appointment on line or you can call them, just follow the instructions on the letter you and/or your fiancé (petitioner) get via email from the embassy/consulate (packet 3). This explains it all. This is the K1 instruction sheet I sent you via email (our packet 3), yours will look just like it

3.  Kerren got her police certificate from the Pretoria Police criminal records head office, AFTER she went to her local police station to fill out the form, do fingerprints, get it stamped and pay for it.  She picked it up in the Pretoria police criminal records office there in Arcadia in Pretoria, 271 Francis Baard Street, central Pretoria. It took 3 - 6 weeks  and its120ZAR, cash only, no cards.   You need your ID AND a copy of the front and back of it ON ONE SHEET. She said take hand cleaner as they have nothing to clean hands there with and bathrooms are locked.

4.   Medical exam results will be sent to the embassy for your interview.  Only embassy can open it.

5.  My k1 instruction sheet tells you all what you'll need at the interview, as well as the medical sheet I sent you

Hope this helps!!

Julie

Timeline
11 minutes ago, HOORAY7 said:

@Vintage girl

Zel,

Sorry just getting to this:

1.  NVC sends the package I would assume by DHL because our package didn't take long to go from NVC to the embassy.  I understand about the mail there, it is very slow but it will not be a problem

2.  You will make the interview appointment on line or you can call them, just follow the instructions on the letter you and/or your fiancé (petitioner) get via email from the embassy/consulate (packet 3). This explains it all. This is the K1 instruction sheet I sent you via email (our packet 3), yours will look just like it

3.  Kerren got her police certificate from the Pretoria Police criminal records head office, AFTER she went to her local police station to fill out the form, do fingerprints, get it stamped and pay for it.  She picked it up in the Pretoria police criminal records office there in Arcadia in Pretoria, 271 Francis Baard Street, central Pretoria. It took 3 - 6 weeks  and its120ZAR, cash only, no cards.   You need your ID AND a copy of the front and back of it ON ONE SHEET. She said take hand cleaner as they have nothing to clean hands there with and bathrooms are locked.

4.   Medical exam results will be sent to the embassy for your interview.  Only embassy can open it.

5.  My k1 instruction sheet tells you all what you'll need at the interview, as well as the medical sheet I sent you

Hope this helps!!

Julie

Thank you Julie for all this information. Good luck with the interview. 12 days to go. I hope that everything goes 100%. We all want to be at the interview stage. This NOA2 is a very long wait. Day 85 and still counting. I hope that we will get the notice soon. I am so ready for the change. And I miss my fiance terribly.

Have a wonderful day.

Zel

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Vintage girl said:

Thank you Julie for all this information. Good luck with the interview. 12 days to go. I hope that everything goes 100%. We all want to be at the interview stage. This NOA2 is a very long wait. Day 85 and still counting. I hope that we will get the notice soon. I am so ready for the change. And I miss my fiance terribly.

Have a wonderful day.

Zel

@Vintage girl You are very welcome Zel!  This is a long process so the best advice is to keep the faith, trust me your mind will play tricks when you see others getting their approvals before you and sometimes they submitted after you; but hold strong, it will come!  Like I said, we were at 5 months before our approval, so just putting that out there so you can prepare and breathe.  Use this time to gather all your information, some you need to wait until NVC has your package so you don't have expired items like your police report or passport photos, but there is a lot of other items you and your fiancé can get together to help the time go by and keep ahead of the curve, the I-134 and the supporting documents that go with that, sometimes those can take a little bit.  I replied to your email and put that in there.

Thank you, we are so ready and nervous at the same time for the interview! 

We will keep you and all on this thread posted on the interview and how it goes for sure; again we are happy to help anyone with questions since we are finally at this stage.

Best of luck to you and everyone else; keep the faith and do not lose hope!

Talk to you soon! Have a great day!

Julie

8 hours ago, HOORAY7 said:

@Vintage girl You are very welcome Zel!  This is a long process so the best advice is to keep the faith, trust me your mind will play tricks when you see others getting their approvals before you and sometimes they submitted after you; but hold strong, it will come!  Like I said, we were at 5 months before our approval, so just putting that out there so you can prepare and breathe.  Use this time to gather all your information, some you need to wait until NVC has your package so you don't have expired items like your police report or passport photos, but there is a lot of other items you and your fiancé can get together to help the time go by and keep ahead of the curve, the I-134 and the supporting documents that go with that, sometimes those can take a little bit.  I replied to your email and put that in there.

We will keep you and all on this thread posted on the interview and how it goes for sure; again we are happy to help anyone with questions since we are finally at this stage.

Julie

wishing you nothing but the best! I do have a question you said the police report took 3-6 weeks? when did you guys apply for it and how long is the report valid for?

Luflolady

Jan 29th NOA1

AOS

Oct. 30th AOS approval

Timeline
3 hours ago, LuFlolady said:

wishing you nothing but the best! I do have a question you said the police report took 3-6 weeks? when did you guys apply for it and how long is the report valid for?

You can get it expedited to a week by using a service that you pay a hefty premium for if needed ( You can just google "quick police clearance"), or you can just wait for the normal process to take its time.

It's valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

Timeline
10 hours ago, LuFlolady said:

@LuFloladyKerren got her police certificate from the Pretoria Police criminal records head office, AFTER she went to her local police station to fill out the form, do fingerprints, get it stamped and pay for it.  She picked it up in the Pretoria police criminal records office there in Arcadia in Pretoria, 271 Francis Baard Street, central Pretoria. It took 3 - 6 weeks  and its120ZAR, cash only, no cards.   You need your ID AND a copy of the front and back of it ON ONE SHEET. She said take hand cleaner as they have nothing to clean hands there with and bathrooms are locked.

The police report is only valid for 6 months, so do not get it until you know your package is approved and at NVC.    We had to do this twice because we got it too early.  Also, remember if you lived in another country after 16yrs old and longer than 6 months, you will need one from that country too.

Hope this helps!

Julie

Timeline
14 hours ago, LuFlolady said:

No we did not yet apply for Police clearance because the INS Lawyer asked us to wait. He will give us the heads up when the NOA2 is coming in. At this moment we are only on day 85 still a long way to go but at least we are somewhere in the middle with the process. I just hope that the Police clearance will be a smooth sailing. I did not have a good experience with my Unabridged birth Certificate and that damn certificate cost me almost R1 500. (I had to pay 2x R75 fee for two copies for birth certificate but they messed it up with the wrong information so I had to send proof of identity to head office by courier fee R450 for the package and I had to drive 3x to Brakpan office in Gauteng to pick it up). The first time I applied for it then when they notify me I drove all the way from Potchefstroom to Brakpan only to find out that they had all my information wrong. So I had to drive back the third time after they amend it with the correct information. Luckily they amend it with my correct birth parents and birth place. I was so worried. It was a terrible experience and very stressful for me. These day's you can't even trust Home Affairs to do a good job at paper work. Anyway I got it in time and that is all that matters. But now the challenge to get that Police clearance. I won't be able to drive to Pretoria. It's way out of distance for me. I will try at Potchefstroom Department. Just hope that they will do a good job the first time.

Now all we can do is wait for the NOA2. I really hope that things go well with our petition. I believe it will.

Regards

Zel

Timeline
23 hours ago, HOORAY7 said:

Julie

Everything will work out fine for you guys I have faith in it. We all do it for the sake of love so I believe it's pure from the heart. I just wish that it was not so complex all this paper work and waiting. But they say everything that come's easy is not worth it but things that takes time is worth every wait. So I keep the positive energy going by thinking positive and smiling when I think about me joining my love at the other end of the world. That is the most important thing to me at this stage. And I focus on the end result not the process so much. But I am honest some days it's really hard. He and his daughter wait for me there at the other end from the world and I am stuck here in SA not by choice but by law. And that is the hardest part. I can't even visit coz they did not approve my Visa B1/B2 due to not enough country ties. So we had to do it the hard way. Just hope that they will see how strong we feel about each other. We really need to be together.

Can't wait to join them soon. I pray that every couple that goes through this hell will get the milk and honey after this journey.

Have a great day! Soon you guys join and then all this is from the past.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:08 PM, Wouter Erwee said:

You can get it expedited to a week by using a service that you pay a hefty premium for if needed ( You can just google "quick police clearance"), or you can just wait for the normal process to take its time.

It's valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

thanks for the info

Luflolady

Jan 29th NOA1

AOS

Oct. 30th AOS approval

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:33 PM, HOORAY7 said:

@LuFloladyKerren got her police certificate from the Pretoria Police criminal records head office, AFTER she went to her local police station to fill out the form, do fingerprints, get it stamped and pay for it.  She picked it up in the Pretoria police criminal records office there in Arcadia in Pretoria, 271 Francis Baard Street, central Pretoria. It took 3 - 6 weeks  and its120ZAR, cash only, no cards.   You need your ID AND a copy of the front and back of it ON ONE SHEET. She said take hand cleaner as they have nothing to clean hands there with and bathrooms are locked.

The police report is only valid for 6 months, so do not get it until you know your package is approved and at NVC.    We had to do this twice because we got it too early.  Also, remember if you lived in another country after 16yrs old and longer than 6 months, you will need one from that country too.

Hope this helps!

Julie

thank u!

Luflolady

Jan 29th NOA1

AOS

Oct. 30th AOS approval

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.