SAlove18

South African K1 Visa applicants

1,801 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Hey all I’m starting this thread for any South African couples waiting for their visa to be processed, petition approved, or couples who have already been approved. If you have any stories or advice please do share. I sent my petition in on 02/12/2018 it was delivered 02/15/2018 I received my NOA1 02/20/2018. I’m currently waiting for my NOA2

Edited by SAlove18

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

If you fill out your profile and timeline, it will link you automatically to the South African portal where you will see all the other couples who went through thst country.  Their timelines, stories, consulate reviews, etc. 

If you're on a desktop you'll see the portals on your menu bar at the top. On a mobile it will be in a drop down box on top right. 

Timeline
10 hours ago, SAlove18 said:

Hey all I’m starting this thread for any South African couples waiting for their visa to be processed, petition approved, or couples who have already been approved. If you have any stories or advice please do share. I sent my petition in on 02/12/2018 it was delivered 02/15/2018 I received my NOA1 02/20/2018. I’m currently waiting for my NOA2

Sent out our packet on 2/9/18 and recieved email NOA1 on 2/16/18 so just waiting on the hardcopy and now our NOA2!! Good luck!

02/09/18 - Sent I-129F Package to Texas Lockbox

02/12/18 - USCIS received package

02/15/18 - Notification of NOA1 (Text and Email) NEW DATE

02/20/18-   Check cashed

02/23/18 - Hard copy of NOA1

09/04/18 - NOA2 (I-797 says 9/1/18, which is a Saturday)

09/24/18 - Case at NVC/Case # Received

10/02/18 - Case left NVC

10/04/18 - Embassy Received Case

10/11/18 - Medical Appointment

10/18/18 - Interview Appointment

10/18/18 - We got approved!!!!!!

10/21/18 - Visa on hand

11/02/18 - POE to USA (Orlando Florida)

01/06/19 - WEDDING :D

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mauritius
Timeline

You can check out my timeline for more info, but we've FINALLY made it though the petition process, our interview is scheduled for March 20 so we're working on preparing for that! Anyone can feel free to message me if you have any type of question! Do not hesitate! This is a LONG, stressful but REWARDING process :)

Best of luck to each one of you.

48 minutes ago, Leah and Matt said:

Sent out our packet on 2/9/18 and recieved email NOA1 on 2/16/18 so just waiting on the hardcopy and now our NOA2!! Good luck!

BTW-

Hello from a fellow minnesotan! :)

Timeline
9 minutes ago, amaraimee said:

You can check out my timeline for more info, but we've FINALLY made it though the petition process, our interview is scheduled for March 20 so we're working on preparing for that! Anyone can feel free to message me if you have any type of question! Do not hesitate! This is a LONG, stressful but REWARDING process :)

BTW-

Why hello there!! Good luck on your journey! I will be sure to follow you and see how everything unfolds! Forest Lake I know that area pretty well!

02/09/18 - Sent I-129F Package to Texas Lockbox

02/12/18 - USCIS received package

02/15/18 - Notification of NOA1 (Text and Email) NEW DATE

02/20/18-   Check cashed

02/23/18 - Hard copy of NOA1

09/04/18 - NOA2 (I-797 says 9/1/18, which is a Saturday)

09/24/18 - Case at NVC/Case # Received

10/02/18 - Case left NVC

10/04/18 - Embassy Received Case

10/11/18 - Medical Appointment

10/18/18 - Interview Appointment

10/18/18 - We got approved!!!!!!

10/21/18 - Visa on hand

11/02/18 - POE to USA (Orlando Florida)

01/06/19 - WEDDING :D

event.png

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Leah and Matt said:

Why hello there!! Good luck on your journey! I will be sure to follow you and see how everything unfolds! Forest Lake I know that area pretty well!

That's awesome!! I met somebody on VJ who was in the exact same pile as me at the NVC, who lives in the same area as my sisters boyfriend. So weird!!!

Timeline
4 hours ago, amaraimee said:

BTW-

I have a quick question that I’m a bit concerned about. I submitted my application via the dates above so my application was sent out on 02/12/2018. However most of my documents and passport photos were dated and signed 01/19/2018. I sent everything in before the 30 days were up but I’m a bit nervous because although they received the package before the 30 days were up on 02/15/2018. I didn’t receive my NOA1 until 02/20/2018. Do you think I’ll receive an RFE for my passport photos and signatures being out of the 30 day window? I’m extremely stressed about it 

Timeline
1 hour ago, SAlove18 said:

I have a quick question that I’m a bit concerned about. I submitted my application via the dates above so my application was sent out on 02/12/2018. However most of my documents and passport photos were dated and signed 01/19/2018. I sent everything in before the 30 days were up but I’m a bit nervous because although they received the package before the 30 days were up on 02/15/2018. I didn’t receive my NOA1 until 02/20/2018. Do you think I’ll receive an RFE for my passport photos and signatures being out of the 30 day window? I’m extremely stressed about it 

That’s not something I would worry too much about! :) It’s so easy to stress over everything in the beginning of the process, but honestly, you’re at the most relaxing part right now! I’m sure that won’t matter, and worst case scenario, you’ll only get an RFE. Passport photos are good for 6months, but if the beneficiary hasn’t made any huge changes in their appearance even after, it shouldn’t matter! As long as the photo still looks like him/her!

Timeline
5 hours ago, amaraimee said:

That’s not something I would worry too much about! :) It’s so easy to stress over everything in the beginning of the process, but honestly, you’re at the most relaxing part right now! I’m sure that won’t matter, and worst case scenario, you’ll only get an RFE. Passport photos are good for 6months, but if the beneficiary hasn’t made any huge changes in their appearance even after, it shouldn’t matter! As long as the photo still looks like him/her!

Yeah I’m just hoping they don’t worry so much about it. I know you had to file within 30 days of the passport photo being taken but I did send it within that time frame 

7 hours ago, HOORAY7 said:

Hi everyone in South Africa!  My fiancé and I are almost done in our process, she lives in South Africa and I live in the Seattle Washington area.  It took us 5 months to get our NOA2, so be prepared for a wait and don't lose the faith!!  Go on this and search for your month and K1 visa and you will probably pop into a forum, we had one for us in the May 2017 forum.  Help me out a lot to know we were not alone.  We have a lawyer, so I wasn't too concerned about the process, but the waiting is to die for!

Best thing for you all to do is get your police certificates BUT they cannot be older than 6 months.  If you were 16 and older and lived in another country besides S.A., then you will need a police certificate from there as well, so be prepared. 

Start gathering documents, originals of birth certificates, divorce decree's, pictures and other evidence of your relationship that was not included in your original package (since it will take some time, they still want to see you are still an active couple).  Any passport photo's cannot be older than 6 months old. 

When you get your NOA2, give it about 10 days before you call NVC and asking status of your case.  You can always call USCIS for your status, but they are not the friendliest and I wouldn't even but them until at least 90 days minimum, I highly doubt they have caught up with the backlog, especially with all the immigration and DACA stuff going on.  The NVC is much friendlier, when you get there and will help you with no problem with any update you are asking.  But normally when you get your NOA2, like I said give it at least 10 days before you call them.  They didn't get our package for at least 14 days.

After you get your NOA2 and your package goes to NVC, it goes pretty quick, so use this time wisely to gather all your documents.  The petitioner needs to provide pay stubs (3 months), I-134 Aff. of Support, Employment verification letter, VA eligibility letter, if applicable, to show as part of income and last 3 years of tax records.

Then once NVC processes your package, a medical appointment can be made, you only have 2 options, one in Joburg and one in Cape Town.  My fiancé went to Joburg.   It's a 2 day process, but spread between 3 days.  You go one day for bloodwork and xrays and the next for shots and discussion with the dr., so plan on that.

Your finance, not the petitioner, will need to fill out the Visa app online, DS-160 and pay the fee.

Make sure you set up your online account correctly and schedule the interview, she finished her phyicals (her and her boys) in November, but we missed the interview's for Dec/Jan/Feb, due to holiday schedules.  They only do K1 visa interviews there at the consulate the last 2 weeks of the month and only on Tues and Thursdays.  So our interview is 20 March, we scheduled it 26 Dec, because they kept telling her there were no appointments, then we call and it jumped 3 months!  So plan wisely.

Hope this helps some.  Any questions let me know, i'll try to help.

Good luck to you all!!

Very well. Do you think it is different for Spousal visa? We have been waiting for our number from NVC. We were told our file got to them on 2/7 and its been overtime. Whatever that means in their language.

7 hours ago, HOORAY7 said:

Hi everyone in South Africa!  My fiancé and I are almost done in our process, she lives in South Africa and I live in the Seattle Washington area.  It took us 5 months to get our NOA2, so be prepared for a wait and don't lose the faith!!  Go on this and search for your month and K1 visa and you will probably pop into a forum, we had one for us in the May 2017 forum.  Help me out a lot to know we were not alone.  We have a lawyer, so I wasn't too concerned about the process, but the waiting is to die for!

Best thing for you all to do is get your police certificates BUT they cannot be older than 6 months.  If you were 16 and older and lived in another country besides S.A., then you will need a police certificate from there as well, so be prepared. 

Start gathering documents, originals of birth certificates, divorce decree's, pictures and other evidence of your relationship that was not included in your original package (since it will take some time, they still want to see you are still an active couple).  Any passport photo's cannot be older than 6 months old. 

When you get your NOA2, give it about 10 days before you call NVC and asking status of your case.  You can always call USCIS for your status, but they are not the friendliest and I wouldn't even but them until at least 90 days minimum, I highly doubt they have caught up with the backlog, especially with all the immigration and DACA stuff going on.  The NVC is much friendlier, when you get there and will help you with no problem with any update you are asking.  But normally when you get your NOA2, like I said give it at least 10 days before you call them.  They didn't get our package for at least 14 days.

After you get your NOA2 and your package goes to NVC, it goes pretty quick, so use this time wisely to gather all your documents.  The petitioner needs to provide pay stubs (3 months), I-134 Aff. of Support, Employment verification letter, VA eligibility letter, if applicable, to show as part of income and last 3 years of tax records.

Then once NVC processes your package, a medical appointment can be made, you only have 2 options, one in Joburg and one in Cape Town.  My fiancé went to Joburg.   It's a 2 day process, but spread between 3 days.  You go one day for bloodwork and xrays and the next for shots and discussion with the dr., so plan on that.

Your finance, not the petitioner, will need to fill out the Visa app online, DS-160 and pay the fee.

Make sure you set up your online account correctly and schedule the interview, she finished her phyicals (her and her boys) in November, but we missed the interview's for Dec/Jan/Feb, due to holiday schedules.  They only do K1 visa interviews there at the consulate the last 2 weeks of the month and only on Tues and Thursdays.  So our interview is 20 March, we scheduled it 26 Dec, because they kept telling her there were no appointments, then we call and it jumped 3 months!  So plan wisely.

Hope this helps some.  Any questions let me know, i'll try to help.

Good luck to you all!!

wow thank you for all this info such a big help. Did they email you pkt 3? or did they email it to the beneficiary?

Luflolady

Jan 26th: Mailed I-129F

Jan 29th NOA1

Feb 2nd: Check Cashed

Feb 9th: rcvd hard copy of NOA1

Aug. 28th Notified of RFE being mailed

Sept. 1st received hard copy of RFE in the mail

Sept. 4th mailed response to RFE

Sept. 10th received txt that my response to RFE was received

Oct. 10th Received txt that we were approved (NOA2) 30days after RFE response

Oct. 13th received hard copy of NOA2

Oct. 31st case arrived at NVC

Nov 2nd received case number

Nov. 19th Case is "ready" to schedule an interview

Feb. 14th Interview (2019) APPROVED!!!!!!

AOS

July 24th: mailed AOS pkt

July 31st: received txt msg of receipt numbers for all documents

Aug 5th received NOA hard copies dated July 31st

Aug. 9th received Biometrics letter in the mail

Aug. 19th Biometrics appt.

Sept. 20th notified of RFE via website 

Sept. 25th Received hard copy of RFE (copy of BC)

Sept. 27th Sent response to RFE

Sept. 30th Response was delivered

Oct. 2nd... Response to evidence received updated on website

Feb 12, 2020 case is ready to schedule for interview

Feb 12, 2020 New card is being produced (EAD)
Feb 13, 2020 Notification that EAD  and AP was approved

Feb 18,2020 received hard copies of AP and EAD approval

Feb 18,2020 notification AOS interview scheduled and EAD mailed

Feb 20, 2020 received EAD card

Feb 24, 2020 received interview letter (March24th)

Aug 4, 2020 received notification of new interview date(rescheduled because of pandemic)

Sept. 14th new AOS interview
Oct. 30th AOS approval

Nov. 9th New card is being produced

Timeline
20 minutes ago, waiting561 said:

Very well. Do you think it is different for Spousal visa? We have been waiting for our number from NVC. We were told our file got to them on 2/7 and its been overtime. Whatever that means in their language.

Who told you your package got there on 7 Feb?  NVC or someone at USCIS?  It should not be any different than our K1Visa.  If my notes are correct it took 15-21 days for us to get our NOA2 from NVC, after they received our package.  They tell you it can take up to 6 weeks, but like I said if my notes are right it was 15-21 days for us.   Best time to call them is after 6pm Eastern time, less busy and status includes the progress for that day.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, LuFlolady said:

wow thank you for all this info such a big help. Did they email you pkt 3? or did they email it to the beneficiary?

No problem, here to help anyone, this process is grueling!!  I never received a pkt 3, but we were emailed the letter from the consulate on what to do.  Actually they sent her information addressed to my fiancé, but to my email address.  So I suggest you both keep an eye on your email, including any spam/junk folders.  Let me know if you have any further questions, glad to help. I've attached information that I used and put together to help others.  I will have to copy and paste the medical appointment information.

After NOA2 wait for 10.zip

Consulate info.zip

Your NOA2 will be a wait.zip

3 minutes ago, HOORAY7 said:

No problem, here to help anyone, this process is grueling!!  I never received a pkt 3, but we were emailed the letter from the consulate on what to do.  Actually they sent her information addressed to my fiancé, but to my email address.  So I suggest you both keep an eye on your email, including any spam/junk folders.  Let me know if you have any further questions, glad to help. I've attached information that I used and put together to help others.  I will have to copy and paste the medical appointment information.

After NOA2 wait for 10.zip

Consulate info.zip

Your NOA2 will be a wait.zip

thank u so much! and good luck on ur upcoming interview

Luflolady

Jan 26th: Mailed I-129F

Jan 29th NOA1

Feb 2nd: Check Cashed

Feb 9th: rcvd hard copy of NOA1

Aug. 28th Notified of RFE being mailed

Sept. 1st received hard copy of RFE in the mail

Sept. 4th mailed response to RFE

Sept. 10th received txt that my response to RFE was received

Oct. 10th Received txt that we were approved (NOA2) 30days after RFE response

Oct. 13th received hard copy of NOA2

Oct. 31st case arrived at NVC

Nov 2nd received case number

Nov. 19th Case is "ready" to schedule an interview

Feb. 14th Interview (2019) APPROVED!!!!!!

AOS

July 24th: mailed AOS pkt

July 31st: received txt msg of receipt numbers for all documents

Aug 5th received NOA hard copies dated July 31st

Aug. 9th received Biometrics letter in the mail

Aug. 19th Biometrics appt.

Sept. 20th notified of RFE via website 

Sept. 25th Received hard copy of RFE (copy of BC)

Sept. 27th Sent response to RFE

Sept. 30th Response was delivered

Oct. 2nd... Response to evidence received updated on website

Feb 12, 2020 case is ready to schedule for interview

Feb 12, 2020 New card is being produced (EAD)
Feb 13, 2020 Notification that EAD  and AP was approved

Feb 18,2020 received hard copies of AP and EAD approval

Feb 18,2020 notification AOS interview scheduled and EAD mailed

Feb 20, 2020 received EAD card

Feb 24, 2020 received interview letter (March24th)

Aug 4, 2020 received notification of new interview date(rescheduled because of pandemic)

Sept. 14th new AOS interview
Oct. 30th AOS approval

Nov. 9th New card is being produced

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.