Julune

Abandon K-1 and AOS Questions

50 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Julune said:

Oh I definitely will be. It’s super scary knowing that we could be living apart so suddenly if all doesn’t go well.

What happened if you don’t mind me asking?

I admit being Canadian we assumed a lot. I thought we could hang out in the US for up to 6 months before we decided to live there. The border actually believed that part. But we had zero ties. No jobs, no housing, no stuff, absolutely nothing tying us to Canada. It never even dawned on us that would be an issue. I got a hard denial so it creates a flag and I report to secondary every time I enter the US.

The reason I share this is I know as a Canadian we assume things are not as bad as they are. We shrug different stuff off assuming everything is fine. I think when it comes to going on vacation customs in either country is cool. But the minute they get even a whiff of a move all hell breaks loose. 

It really sucks you weren't able to AOS as that flag is going to follow you for life. You will have a limited time ban but the overstay will still show up in your history. Travel to the US in the future will be a question mark.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 2/12/2018 at 6:17 PM, Julune said:

Thanks! I appreciate that. Someone that has done this before told us to do what i started earlier. I didn’t think it was lying because he would be staying a few months until he applied!

So you think take the same vehicle? Just say he’s going to do a spousal visa inland?

What do you mean by FBI clearance? Just a police record?

Yes when you get to the border you just tell them that you're returning to Canada and you will be applying inside Canada for your spouse. Then they  send you inside look up him up in the computer for criminal record. 

Yes the FBI clearance is a police check. 

This is a really old thread but Colleen's did exactly what you want to do. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/367247-only-3-more-sleeps/?page=2 She hasn't been on since shortly after her move but it will be a good read for you. 

Edited by Ontarkie
removed rtc website they are no longer around
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

2 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

Yes when you get to the border you just tell them that you're returning to Canada and you will be applying inside Canada for your spouse. Then they  send you inside look up him up in the computer for criminal record. 

Roadtocanada.com is similar to VJ it will help you alot. 

I am OP's husband.

With all due respect, might I ask how you know this?  Have you gone through this too?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Schihl said:

I am OP's husband.

With all due respect, might I ask how you know this?  Have you gone through this too?

I have not but just posted a link from another member. You can actually search for more just like her who did it this way. You can also search the Canadian website https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship.html 

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

47 minutes ago, Ebunoluwa said:

That is incorrect. 
You meant the I-130 ? 
I-131 is advanced parole (travel permit) which should be filed with AOS anyway and is free as is the I-765 (EAD).
If you do not marry within the 90 days you have to file a I-130 but if you are married and file after 90 days you can file "a bit" later without
having to file a I-130 with AOS.
Practically out of status but forgiven when AOS is then filed. 

Oh yes sorry meant I-130 not I-131

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would not suggest leaving without your green card. Basically, you will NEVER be able to visit the USA unless you get an immigrant visa. 

You will trigger the 3 year ban when you leave. After that, no way to come visit without an immigrant aka green card.

Also, check how bringing someone to  Canada works. I'm told it is an even longer process. You really should apply for your green card and consider staying in America for a while 

Timeline
7 hours ago, acidrain said:

I admit being Canadian we assumed a lot. I thought we could hang out in the US for up to 6 months before we decided to live there. The border actually believed that part. But we had zero ties. No jobs, no housing, no stuff, absolutely nothing tying us to Canada. It never even dawned on us that would be an issue. I got a hard denial so it creates a flag and I report to secondary every time I enter the US.

The reason I share this is I know as a Canadian we assume things are not as bad as they are. We shrug different stuff off assuming everything is fine. I think when it comes to going on vacation customs in either country is cool. But the minute they get even a whiff of a move all hell breaks loose. 

It really sucks you weren't able to AOS as that flag is going to follow you for life. You will have a limited time ban but the overstay will still show up in your history. Travel to the US in the future will be a question mark.

Very true. Canadians make assumptions and I know so many that thought they could hang our in cal8fornia and ended up getting bans. 

Fyi you are canafian.tho so Canada has to take you in! Your overstay in America or red flags have no baring on going to Canada. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, K1_Journey said:

FYI no it is not and we have discussed this over and over, research it

I appreciate providing misleading information is not a breach of the VJ ToS, but it is really bad form.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Bad specific information should be corrected by those with good specific information.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

1 hour ago, K1_Journey said:

FYI no it is not and we have discussed this over and over, research it. I'm not going to waste my time arguing or debating this point with you or anyone else here again.

Just because you CAN file the AOS later does not mean that your K1 beneficiary was not out of status and deportable.  Overstay is ignored for USC spouses, currently, but this is not a good practice to suggest to people just to not AOS and leave their spouses in limbo without status. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

you CAN file later. but you are out of status.

once you are out of status you basically will ALWAYS be deportable!

for example. i overstayed. 3 years!

i will get my citizenship bc if i ever have to go back to canada once i give up my greencard i will NEVER be allowed back in1

EVERY time i cross i get questioned - even with my greencard!

i WAS ignorant to the laws.  but thankfully VJ informed me of what to do right. i made the correct changes.

you can AOS 20 years later! it does not matter. but once you leave the country you trigger the ban and if it is an overstay you have a lifetime ban

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
Just now, missileman said:

This doesn't make any sense at all.  Think about it......you are saying that a K-1 (non-immigrant) could enter the US and NEVER obtain a green card, yet they would be protected while here......nonsense.

Of course it does not, K1 is a single use visa, so dead on arrival. the Status is good for 90 days and then you are overstaying like many other people who enter on other non immigrant visas and do not go home.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline
10 hours ago, missileman said:

The link content is incorrect. If the

k1 arrival married the petitioner within 90 days then no I-130 needs to be filed with AOS. If not married in 90 days the a I-130 is needed. 

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

There are a couple of weird exceptions, C/D is the one that comes up on here and some Diplomats as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.