kareelina

Citizenship to IR-2

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi visa journey members , I need that the spouse  of US citizen can obtain citizenship after 3 years of living together , but I heard that the veterans' spouses can have it in less than 3 years , does anybody have any idea about that , and how about the kids when they obtain their citizenship .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

how long have you been a GC holder?

you can apply if you are eligible 90 days before your 3 years and 3 years of marriage

if your children are residents and under 18 ,they will derive your citizenship once you are a US Citizen

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Greetings!

I hope this will help you.

Nelma

Reference: https://www.uscis.gov/military/citizenship-family-members

Expedited Naturalization for Spouses of Military Members

Spouses of U.S. citizen service members who are (or will be) stationed abroad may be eligible for expedited naturalization in the U.S. under section 319(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

To apply for naturalization under INA 319(b), you generally must:

• Be age 18 or older;
  • Establish your spouse is a U.S. citizen who is, or will be, regularly stationed abroad as a member of the U.S. armed forces for a period of one year or more;
  • Be authorized to accompany your spouse abroad by your spouse’s official orders;
  • Be present in the U.S. as a lawful permanent resident at the time of your naturalization application interview;
  • Be present in the U.S. at the time of naturalization;
  • Declare in good faith upon naturalization an intent to reside abroad with your U.S. citizen spouse and to reside in the U.S. immediately upon your spouse’s termination of service abroad;
  • Be able to read, write, and speak basic English;
  • Have a basic knowledge of U.S. history and government (civics); and
  • Have been, and continue to be, a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the U.S. Constitution and well-disposed to the good order and happiness of the U.S. during all relevant periods under the law.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Military Immigration, from K1 P&P - As the OP is asking about citizenship~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey guys, I'm sorry to be writing here but I saw the post and I couldn't let it pass. Well, I'm still finishing my process of Green Card and it is very close to get it. My husband (military active duty) is working abroad which is in Germany and he will stay this year there. My question is to expedite a naturalization for the spouse requires a minimum time remaining abroad? I mean it is already February and I believe I'm getting my Green Card in April. So it will be 9 months left, does he still can file for me?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
On 2/11/2018 at 11:49 PM, carlinhoswave said:

Hey guys, I'm sorry to be writing here but I saw the post and I couldn't let it pass. Well, I'm still finishing my process of Green Card and it is very close to get it. My husband (military active duty) is working abroad which is in Germany and he will stay this year there. My question is to expedite a naturalization for the spouse requires a minimum time remaining abroad? I mean it is already February and I believe I'm getting my Green Card in April. So it will be 9 months left, does he still can file for me?

Hey, if you are actually clicking on the link of the previous posting, it will allow you to read through the different options. Don't take my word for it but you are eligible for citizenship after three years. The time abroad (meaning Germany) counts towards those three years of residency IF you are on your spouses orders or have the command write a letter. But the 9 months are not sufficient for an expedited naturalisation.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:49 AM, carlinhoswave said:

Where are you right now?  Not in Germany with him?  I think as soon as you get yr GC in April, then get yourself on his Military orders (if you haven't done so already) and apply for the expedite.  While living with him in Germany while he is in the military counts as the 3 years time, the whole point of the 319(b) is to skip through that phase.  Not sure you qualify based on yr timelime and current location, but it's certainly worth looking into after you get that GC.

From K1 submission to US Citizenship- 2 years, 1 month and 2 days!

K-1 Process
• 6 MAR 2012 - I-129F packet sent via FedEx overnight •

• 7 MAR 2012 - Packet received Dallas, Texas
• 12 MAR 2012 - NOA1 (Notice by Email: routed to the CSC)
• 15 MAR 2012 - NOA1 (received Official Receipt Notice (Form I-797))
• 12 JUN 2012 - NOA2 (Notice by text message and Email)
• 23 MAR 2012 - NVC received/forwarded approved I-129F
• 25 April 2012 - Interview and Visa Approved!
• 27 APR 2012 - Collected Visa at Embassy
• 29 MAY 2012 - Arrival in US after two weeks holiday together!
*It took 46 days from NOA1 to Visa pick-up and we received our NOA2 two weeks AFTER her arrival in States!

AOS Process
• 13 JUL 2012 - I-485 packet received at USCIS
• 23 JUL 2012 - NOA I-797C received for I-485 and I-765 (we didn't do an AP)
• 10 AUG 2012 - RFE for Proof of Employment and Fed. Poverty Level/Support Requirement!(Active Duty Military but deployed last year with little taxable income to report)
• RFE Discussion--> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/382590-any-other-military-members-have-this-happen/
• 16 AUG 2012 - USCIS received my RFE document response & Biometrics completed on same day
• 21 SEP 2012 - EAD Received after a total of 6 USCIS Status updates
• 8 MAR 2013 - USCIS received our AP I-131 Travel Doc that we didn't apply for initially (bad decision)
• 26 MAR 2013 - Email Notice that AP was approved
• 03 APR 2013 - Card in hand! (9+ months from application to receipt of card)

Removal of Conditions

• Skipped with Military expedite

Citizenship N400

• 20 JAN 2014 - Packet mailed

• 02 FEB 2014 - walk-in Bio appointment

• 24 MAR 2014 - Interview

• 08 APR 2014 - Oath Ceremony

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:06 PM, kareelina said:

Hi visa journey members , I need that the spouse  of US citizen can obtain citizenship after 3 years of living together , but I heard that the veterans' spouses can have it in less than 3 years , does anybody have any idea about that , and how about the kids when they obtain their citizenship .

Active Duty not Veterans.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.