Darrinos

Incredible difficult Visa journey

60 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Indonesia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, aajj said:

Since it's been 14 years, since there wasn't a victim ever, and this became a barrier of you to get to anywhere, have you ever considered remove this harmful record away for good? 

I happened to have a peek of my husband's mails, one of his college buddy has the same situation, and he is trying to fix it now. Here is part of his letter: 

To get you an update, my attorney just completed the application for clemency to submit to the governor office. After I sign it, he will submit it. Hopefully the application will be approved and I will be cleared from everything.

BTW, his record is 9 years ago, shorter than yours. If he can do it, why not give it a try?

Sorry I can't offer more details, and I feel bad to leak this already. Please forgive me, I just want to help.

Anyway, good luck!

Thank you very much for your reply, and thank you for wanting to help. I don't need any more details, and you've done more than enough. Please, always strive to be honest is all you do, but I do not judge you at all. I have 8 months left of my registration requirement, and when that has passed I do indeed hope to apply for an expungement of my record, which is kinda like the clemency, but not completely. There is potential there.

To be very honest, sometimes I feel so incredibly selfish, like I'm holding her from being more. She wants to leave the country so badly and sometimes I just feel like I should let her go so she can find another way. We have both talked very honestly about it, and in the end, the thing we really want most is just to be together someday, some way. It's a tough spot to be in. Anyway... thanks for your advice. I appreciate it very much.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

She is married

She can not come to the US

You can not go to her country

Any third country options?

The above is the heart of the matter.  You have picked someone who is situationally and maritally unavailable to you.  Relationships like this are an uphill battle at best and are often doomed.  Even if you overcome your sex-offender status and she divorces, you'll still have to survive the years-long USCIS and consular phases, with no guarantee in either.

The third country seems to be your only realistic option, and certainly the timeliest.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
1 minute ago, TBoneTX said:

The above is the heart of the matter.  You have picked someone who is situationally and maritally unavailable to you.  Relationships like this are an uphill battle at best and are often doomed.  Even if you overcome your sex-offender status and she divorces, you'll still have to survive the USCIS and consular phases, with no guarantee in either.

The third country seems to be your only realistic option.

You are absolutely correct. In the beginning, I did not want a woman who was separated but somehow, she "slipped through" my vetting procedure! I've never regretted it though, even still. At the same time, I'm sure she never wanted someone with the legal troubles that I carry. Still, we both chose to continue. Definitely an uphill battle and the "guarantee" is not existent. Therefore, like you, I feel that the "third country option" is the best. Laws may change at some point in the future and that may help, as well as being off of the registry. too. It's all done on a hope and a prayer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

You can wait years and years for uncertain results, drop the idea now, or take your most realistic avenue now.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
3 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

You can wait years and years for uncertain results, drop the idea now, or take your most realistic avenue now.

I'll choose door number 3. :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You would need clemency and the Federal level.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sounds like she's not willing or able to get a divorce without some assurance that she'll be taken care of if she does (IE, you're in a stable position somewhere and capable of doing so). That's perfectly reasonable.

You stated you'll be off the registry in a matter of months. What does your lawyer say about being able to petition her after that? Have you talked to him about getting your record expunged or clemency? Assuming that still won't work as far as being able to sponsor someone here, do you have resources and a plan for how you'd live and what you'd do if you immigrated to a third country? If I were you those are the questions I'd be getting answered and the plan I'd be working on right now.  

Timeline
8 minutes ago, optlh0 said:

Sounds like she's not willing or able to get a divorce without some assurance that she'll be taken care of if she does (IE, you're in a stable position somewhere and capable of doing so). That's perfectly reasonable.

You stated you'll be off the registry in a matter of months. What does your lawyer say about being able to petition her after that? Have you talked to him about getting your record expunged or clemency? Assuming that still won't work as far as being able to sponsor someone here, do you have resources and a plan for how you'd live and what you'd do if you immigrated to a third country? If I were you those are the questions I'd be getting answered and the plan I'd be working on right now.  

Thank you for your very reasonable and logical post. Yes, she wants some kind of assurance that she'll be taken care of, and I don't blame her. In her country, even though she is only in her late 40's, she is seen as "old" and most help wanted ads stipulate women in their 20's sometimes 30's. Such a different world. She is a very realistic and reasonable woman, to be sure. A girl has to look out for her best interests, you know? God bless women... they are a wonderful creation and every one of us men are blessed to have one;  you're even more blessed to have one present and in your daily life.

My attorney believes that after I'm off of the registry that my odds for sponsoring her increase. Since he is not licensed in the state where the offense occurred, I have not discussed the expungement with him, though I am seeking an attorney now for this purpose. As far as a plan to support the two of us, I am taking a two-pronged approach. First, I am applying for positions in the countries that will allow me to enter. Second, I have been working with a business owner in a third country to purchase his business, though I'm still looking for a couple of investors to help with the financial short fall. (Anyone interested? I can offer about 12-15% over 6-7 years... just sayin'! :D) We both would be allowed in this country and can work the rest of our plan from there.

Short of finding an investor or two, or finding a job in another country, I've got winning the lottery and the genie in the bottle plan in my back pocket. I truly appreciate your well-reasoned reply.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just want to mention that the countries that already have you flagged in their system will keep you permanently flagged in their system. Expungements in the US are often not recognized in other countries.

Immigration also does not care if you've been pardoned, you will still have those hoops to jump through. Will it help? it might but it's not like they will never see it and just ignore it because you got it removed. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ontarkie said:

I just want to mention that the countries that already have you flagged in their system will keep you permanently flagged in their system. Expungements in the US are often not recognized in other countries.

Immigration also does not care if you've been pardoned, you will still have those hoops to jump through. Will it help? it might but it's not like they will never see it and just ignore it because you got it removed. 

Yes, you are correct. It's the crime that you never get away from. Unless the laws change, there is no way to keep this from being seen. As you say, it might help, but in this situation, no guarantees; only hopes. Thanks again for your help.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
6 minutes ago, MeAlone said:

Didn't "touch" me either, they both apparently weren't honest with each other from the beginning

Being very familiar with the culture in Indo and having spent long periods of times there I can tell you this is how it always is, married or online profile up  on okcupid and multiple foreign providers sending money or grooming them to do it in the future. I wont say more because its none of my business and wont make a difference when you are so blinded by there sweet words and characters they really can put a great show on. But this story does sound shady AF. I only went there for surfing but in the bars you hear all the same tales every day from older american or australian men who went over there and women completely serenading them and always end up screwing them over when they have nothing left. 

Edited by mustang85635

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
1 hour ago, Darrinos said:

Thank you for your very reasonable and logical post. Yes, she wants some kind of assurance that she'll be taken care of, and I don't blame her. In her country, even though she is only in her late 40's, she is seen as "old" and most help wanted ads stipulate women in their 20's sometimes 30's. Such a different world. She is a very realistic and reasonable woman, to be sure. A girl has to look out for her best interests, you know? God bless women... they are a wonderful creation and every one of us men are blessed to have one;  you're even more blessed to have one present and in your daily life.

My attorney believes that after I'm off of the registry that my odds for sponsoring her increase. Since he is not licensed in the state where the offense occurred, I have not discussed the expungement with him, though I am seeking an attorney now for this purpose. As far as a plan to support the two of us, I am taking a two-pronged approach. First, I am applying for positions in the countries that will allow me to enter. Second, I have been working with a business owner in a third country to purchase his business, though I'm still looking for a couple of investors to help with the financial short fall. (Anyone interested? I can offer about 12-15% over 6-7 years... just sayin'! :D) We both would be allowed in this country and can work the rest of our plan from there.

Short of finding an investor or two, or finding a job in another country, I've got winning the lottery and the genie in the bottle plan in my back pocket. I truly appreciate your well-reasoned reply.

Another big downfall is going to really any south east asian especially indonesia you cannot own a business or property/house if you are not a citizen. So in case of a business the majority stake has to be with a citizen and properties have to be purchased by them. This is very important that you remember that before you invest all your savings in a new house there and dont really know the person (your flame or fiancé or whatever you want to call it lol ) 

Edited by mustang85635

Timeline
2 minutes ago, mustang85635 said:

Another big downfall is going to really any south east asian especially indonesia you cannot own a business or property/house if you are not a citizen. So in case of a business the majority stake has to be with a citizen and properties have to be purchased by them. This is very important that you remember that before you invest all your savings in a new house there and dont really know the person all that much . 

Not only the person, if you don't know well the third world country, don't invest anything at least for 1 year living there and watching how things work. You will be amazed how fast all your capital will be gone and no law working for to get at least some back

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Two posts removed that are not conductive to the topic. Post constructively or do not post.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.