R S

Hi from MN Japanese girl

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi, I'm 27 years old Japanese living in MN from May 25th 2017.   I came here with fiance, K-1 visa.  I got married June 13th.  We had our wedding ceremony in October.  It was crazy stressful but the day was the best.  We are taking things seriously and we were submitting papers ASAP with checking so many times.  But so many troubles soooo stressful.  The most recent issue is my insurance.  I was kicked off because I don't have SSn and my fiance VISA expired and I changed my last name on my old passport.  In this country, things are so different from Japan.  People are not so kind than Japanese.  I miss Japanese kindness and hospitality.  Nobody tells what to do.  We feel totally lost.  I hope I can help others and others can help us here.  Living in a different country is so tough.  Language, no friends no family, inconvenience.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
1 minute ago, R S said:

Hi, I'm 27 years old Japanese living in MN from May 25th 2017.   I came here with fiance, K-1 visa.  I got married June 13th.  We had our wedding ceremony in October.  It was crazy stressful but the day was the best.  We are taking things seriously and we were submitting papers ASAP with checking so many times.  But so many troubles soooo stressful.  The most recent issue is my insurance.  I was kicked off because I don't have SSn and my fiance VISA expired and I changed my last name on my old passport.  In this country, things are so different from Japan.  People are not so kind than Japanese.  I miss Japanese kindness and hospitality.  Nobody tells what to do.  We feel totally lost.  I hope I can help others and others can help us here.  Living in a different country is so tough.  Language, no friends no family, inconvenience.

If you think people in the Midwest aren’t friendly, I suggest you spend few days here in New England. 

Timeline
41 minutes ago, mcdull said:

If you think people in the Midwest aren’t friendly, I suggest you spend few days here in New England. 

I think Minnesotan is very kind but not officers.  I would like to visit some other states.  I have been to WI, MI, IA and NE.  I am going to FL in March.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Culture shock is hard.  Do not let other people "steal" your attitude.  Remain positive, open, and friendly, and people (even some officials) will respond.

Treat each challenge as one challenge.  We have a saying here:  "Eat the elephant one bite at a time."  Approach and conquer each challenge one-by-one, and soon you will be surprised at how few you have left.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
10 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Culture shock is hard.  Do not let other people "steal" your attitude.  Remain positive, open, and friendly, and people (even some officials) will respond.

Treat each challenge as one challenge.  We have a saying here:  "Eat the elephant one bite at a time."  Approach and conquer each challenge one-by-one, and soon you will be surprised at how few you have left.

Thank you for wonderful advice!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
On 12/9/2017 at 3:58 PM, R S said:

You'll find that people are nice to a point in the upper Midwest.  They will treat you with respect and be generally friendly, but not overly hospitable.  The issue with insurance is one that you will have to wade through.  Minnesotacare is a kindness that the state offers and they have their own policies about it.  The vast majority of states do not offer such a program.  

I'll clue you into a little bit of acquired knowledge as I am also a transplant to Minnesota.  Minnesotans value hard work and independence.  They won't hold your hand through forms or processes.  They expect you to figure things out yourself.  They also expect you to be prepared and self-reliant.  This is especially true for transplants, they are waiting for you to fail your first winter or your next or to whine about living here.  You must meet the challenge of living here with determination and fierce independence.  

Especially up here in the north of the state, I find that versus other parts of the country, you are expected to be rugged.  Any sort of genteel notions should be thrown out the window.

Is your husband a Minnesotan?

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline
12 hours ago, N-o-l-a said:

You'll find that people are nice to a point in the upper Midwest.  They will treat you with respect and be generally friendly, but not overly hospitable.  The issue with insurance is one that you will have to wade through.  Minnesotacare is a kindness that the state offers and they have their own policies about it.  The vast majority of states do not offer such a program.  

I'll clue you into a little bit of acquired knowledge as I am also a transplant to Minnesota.  Minnesotans value hard work and independence.  They won't hold your hand through forms or processes.  They expect you to figure things out yourself.  They also expect you to be prepared and self-reliant.  This is especially true for transplants, they are waiting for you to fail your first winter or your next or to whine about living here.  You must meet the challenge of living here with determination and fierce independence.  

Especially up here in the north of the state, I find that versus other parts of the country, you are expected to be rugged.  Any sort of genteel notions should be thrown out the window.

Is your husband a Minnesotan?

Thank you for local reliable information.  It is much harder than I imagined but i can't go back or I don't want to go back.  I made a decision.  yes he is Minnesotan.

Timeline
13 hours ago, payxibka said:

Did you look to acquire an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) in lieu of an SSN?

I just knew about it yesterday.  I am going to call if I can have one and if so, try to make an appointment.  Thank you.

Timeline
12 minutes ago, R S said:

Thank you for local reliable information.  It is much harder than I imagined but i can't go back or I don't want to go back.  I made a decision.  yes he is Minnesotan.

I'm sorry that you are having such trouble with it.  Minnesota can be a little testing on one's patience at times.  For example, our year end MNsure renewal came up last month and I had to report that I was pregnant, which meant that I lost my Minnesotacare, but the only way I knew that was that they just sent a bill yesterday for half the normal amount for January's coverage.  I've yet to get any other paperwork about switching to medicaid for the duration of my pregnancy.  it makes me a little nervous because I am having my delivery in 2 months.  

3/26/18 Biometrics

Timeline
6 minutes ago, N-o-l-a said:

I'm sorry that you are having such trouble with it.  Minnesota can be a little testing on one's patience at times.  For example, our year end MNsure renewal came up last month and I had to report that I was pregnant, which meant that I lost my Minnesotacare, but the only way I knew that was that they just sent a bill yesterday for half the normal amount for January's coverage.  I've yet to get any other paperwork about switching to medicaid for the duration of my pregnancy.  it makes me a little nervous because I am having my delivery in 2 months.  

It must be so stressful.  So if you were pregnant, you can't have Minnesotacare?!  How do we know all of the things.

Timeline
23 minutes ago, R S said:

I just knew about it yesterday.  I am going to call if I can have one and if so, try to make an appointment.  Thank you.

13 hours ago, payxibka said:

Did you look to acquire an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) in lieu of an SSN?

Once if I get a SSN, what is the benefit to have ITIN?

Timeline
8 minutes ago, R S said:

It must be so stressful.  So if you were pregnant, you can't have Minnesotacare?!  How do we know all of the things.

It has to do with your income level.  There is a ton of stuff to read online about it.   Eligibility works like Medicaid -> MinnesotaCare-> MnSure Obamacare Subsidy plans.  If you qualify for Medicaid you can't get Minnesotacare or a subsidy (Advance Premium Tax Credit on this chart) and so on.  If you don't qualify for medicaid, but do for minnesotacare, you also can't get subsidies.  For our family size, a pregnant woman with a family income under $80,000 is mediciad eligible - so I have to switch plans.  You can check out the income limits here:  DHS-3461A-ENG

You really should get your husband to help with this stuff, with English as a second language, it can be harder to understand.

6 minutes ago, R S said:

Once if I get a SSN, what is the benefit to have ITIN?

None.

3/26/18 Biometrics

Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

No benefit after just before.  Once you get SSN you stop using the ITIN and it will expire on its own

I see.  Thank you.  My fiance VISA is expired and I changed my last name.  My last name is different on the VISA and passport.  so I am not sure I can even apply for ITIN or not.  I will see.