Kev&Viv

What was your beneficiaries first job in the U.S.?

21 posts in this topic

I guess this question is more for the people who have already been through the k1 process and residing in the USA, but anybody please feel free to respond. I’m curious what was the beneficiaries first job in the U.S.?  Also, did they start work when they were legally able or maybe it (understandably)took awhile for them to adjust to things?  Maybe they didn’t work at all but did the domestic thing...

My fiancée and I discuss many different things she can do once here after we are married...  from staying at home to more school, part-time things, nails, pho restaurants...  she knows four languages so I think that helps too. 

Anyways looking forward to the reply’s!

I'm in the ROC stage post K-1. I had a difficult time finding a job with my EAD, but once I had my GC in hand I received a lot more interest. My first job here in the US was with a software company, my position was office assistant. Within one year of being with the company I transitioned into the development side of the business and I'm still with the same company. Knowing four languages is great - I know two languages, and it certainly helped me move up where I work. 

AOS (from K-1)

Sent - April 23, 2014
NOA - May 13, 2014
Biometrics - June 6, 2014
EAD/AP Approved - July 18, 2014
EAD/AP Received - July 26, 2014
Waiver Letter Received - August 17, 2014 (dated August 13, 2014)
SR Placed Online - February 14, 2015
EAD/AP Renewal Sent - March 20, 2015
EAD/AP Renewal Received - March 25, 2015
I-485 Approved - March 28, 2015 (e-mail notification)
SR Response Rec'd - March 28, 2015 (dated March 24, 2015)
Card Production Notice - March 31, 2015

Card Mailed - April 7, 2015

Card Rec'd - April 9, 2015

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

While you wait for the K-1 or EAD, utilize the time to create an American style resume, have her go to English classes to learn lingo, find volunteer opportunities for her (there's a great post by Darnell I believe talking about volunteering at your local Chamber of Commerce), connect her to the local workforce center for mock interviews. It's three months so you can accomplish a lot in that time. And if she chooses not to get a job right away after getting authorized at least she'll be totally ready when she chooses. We, unfortunately, didn't do any of those things so when my husband got his EAD we started from scratch and it took a while to land anything. So he started out as a landscaper. 

K-1 from Haiti - NOA1: 5/27/2014; NOA2: 7/8 USCIS never updated to say that it was sent to the NVC (just in case you're as concerned about your status not updating as I was about mine)
NVC Case Number Received: 7/31; Left NVC: 8/1 - tracked via DHL website; CEAC Status - Ready: 8/7; Packet 3 Received: 9/5 - Beneficiary received packet / Medical Completed: 9/19;
DS-160 Submitted: 9/22 - (CEAC date updated); Packet 3 Submitted: 9/26; Packet 4 Received: 10/24; Interview Date: 11/6 @ 7 am Interview Result: Approved!
CEAC Status Issued: 11/10; USTraveldocs.com finally acknowledged Fiance's passport actually in their system: 11/20; Passport Received: 11/21;

POE: 11/23/2014; Wedding: 2/14/2015

AOS/EAD/AP Filed: 2/21/2015;

USCIS EAD & AP received: 2/25; USCIS AOS received: 2/27; Received NOA1s in mail: 3/5; Biometrics: 3/26; EAD/AP Card in Production: 5/11; EAD/AP Card Mailed: 5/1; EAD/AP Card Received 5/19; NPIW Letter dated: 6/11/15; Green card Approved: 10/1/15;

Green card Received: 10/7/15

My husband did not find a job during his EAD phase. It wasn't until after his green card came did people actually start wanting him for interviews. He accepted his first position at the only place that showed strong interest - a local state college. It was part time to start, in the Technical Department. It wasn't very long until he was promoted to his full time position in the A/V Department for multiple campuses... which has him handling events with students, staff, guest speakers, concerts, police and fire depts., even the governor and press from time to time. He also functions as a Technical support agent and programing when any A/V equipment breaks, services and runs electrical wiring too. It's a busy job and he highly enjoys it. They have asked him to consider a teaching job as well in the future and he may be moving up higher soon.

I would say it was difficult for him waiting for so long, being rejected or simply not hearing back from anyone. He was miserable for a while and it was hard to keep his spirits up. Once he started working he really started to feel like he was doing something worthwhile. Prior experience with an American company and his degree did help get him to where he is now. He also had a good many coworkers looking out for him that took him under their wing.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
3 hours ago, JR loves JR said:

find volunteer opportunities for her (there's a great post by Darnell I believe talking about volunteering at your local Chamber of Commerce)

Here's that post:

-------
Try this idea, previously posted by the member Darnell:
---
Each city has a chamber of commerce. Find it.

Once you find it - talk with the secretary - tell her you want a schedule of events and let her know you'd like to attend.

Then - go in person to the Chamber of Commerce Office - talk with the President of the Chamber, tell him/her you want to volunteer at several of their events.

Attendees at chamber events are business owners and sales geeks, all looking for new business.  It usually is an informal-enough gathering where you can approach people and talk with them.

Now, the cool thing about being a volunteer there - is that you will be talking to everyone at least once - you might be at the reception table, you might be at the greeters table, you might help to run the audio/video system - whatever - but - the point is that you can meet everyone there, face to face.

Attend 2 or 3 of these, and folk remember you. When folk remember you, they will remember you are seeking employment and will consider you, because you're just not some name on a piece of paper - they met you at a chamber event and know that you were volunteering, helping out the chamber.

Go Get Em, and Good Luck!

PS - live in a really small town? go to the biggest town that's within 15 miles of your house.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

My husband got a job a few days after he arrived in the US (CR-1).  He worked mainly cleaning windows, but also doing power washing, etc.  He had been a window cleaner in his younger years, but it really was not something he enjoyed.  He did his GED at this time and a remedial college composition class. Then he worked at a hardware store while he went to school for a trade.  Now, he's passed his journeyman exam for the trade.  He's certainly happier with it than his first job. :) 

His trade that he was doing in Denmark doesn't really exist as a trade in America, so he did have to start all over.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I started applying for jobs about 40 days into my EAD application (It was taking on average 60 days from application date to issue). 

Attended a few interviews and started a job in IT 2 weeks after my EAD card was issued (where I am still working at - almost 4 years!).

Depending on where you are and the area of work, it can range from easy to hard. IT and Healthcare jobs are in abundance in the Pacific Northwest so it wasn't a surprise I got a job so quick.

Good luck to your spouse.

~AOS : 09/11/2014 - 2 YR Green card received!.

~ROC 07/13/2017 - 10 YR Green card received!.

~N-400 : 10/28/2020 - N400 Interview & Approval/Oath Ceremony/US Citizen!

More Importantly, I am a proud Anti-Fascist!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
21 hours ago, MissSarah said:

I'm in the ROC stage post K-1. I had a difficult time finding a job with my EAD, but once I had my GC in hand I received a lot more interest. My first job here in the US was with a software company, my position was office assistant. Within one year of being with the company I transitioned into the development side of the business and I'm still with the same company. Knowing four languages is great - I know two languages, and it certainly helped me move up where I work. 

Just curious -

when you said languages, did you mean programming languages? I'm assuming you were a programmer in Canada. IT and healthcare jobs are usually easier to find due to the high demand.

~AOS : 09/11/2014 - 2 YR Green card received!.

~ROC 07/13/2017 - 10 YR Green card received!.

~N-400 : 10/28/2020 - N400 Interview & Approval/Oath Ceremony/US Citizen!

More Importantly, I am a proud Anti-Fascist!

18 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Here's that post:

-------
Try this idea, previously posted by the member Darnell:
---
Each city has a chamber of commerce. Find it.

Once you find it - talk with the secretary - tell her you want a schedule of events and let her know you'd like to attend.

Then - go in person to the Chamber of Commerce Office - talk with the President of the Chamber, tell him/her you want to volunteer at several of their events.

Attendees at chamber events are business owners and sales geeks, all looking for new business.  It usually is an informal-enough gathering where you can approach people and talk with them.

Now, the cool thing about being a volunteer there - is that you will be talking to everyone at least once - you might be at the reception table, you might be at the greeters table, you might help to run the audio/video system - whatever - but - the point is that you can meet everyone there, face to face.

Attend 2 or 3 of these, and folk remember you. When folk remember you, they will remember you are seeking employment and will consider you, because you're just not some name on a piece of paper - they met you at a chamber event and know that you were volunteering, helping out the chamber.

Go Get Em, and Good Luck!

PS - live in a really small town? go to the biggest town that's within 15 miles of your house.

That is a very great idea and something I think we will definitely do!

Filed: Other Timeline

Me: still looking for the best opportunity to make a move into the USA with the whole family (a bit picky on this as well as choosing the right location suitable for the wifey as well). I got selected for DV, so not really relevant as the main post is asking about beneficiaries :D 

Filed: Other Timeline

but yeah, finding job, if you are picky can be very hard. I got a lot of emails and calls from recruiters, mainly people with some sort of indian accent (i am in the IT world so this is expected), and majority of them were recruiting for contracting jobs - 3-6 months type of thing, which is not suitable if i have to move around every 6 months. Monster.com is full of these recruiters. LinkedIn is the best source of good opportunities for me i believe.

11 hours ago, MaleAlpha said:

Just curious -

when you said languages, did you mean programming languages? I'm assuming you were a programmer in Canada. IT and healthcare jobs are usually easier to find due to the high demand.

Oh nope, I didn't mean programming languages. I'm fluent in English, intermediate in French, it helped to full a small void where I work.

AOS (from K-1)

Sent - April 23, 2014
NOA - May 13, 2014
Biometrics - June 6, 2014
EAD/AP Approved - July 18, 2014
EAD/AP Received - July 26, 2014
Waiver Letter Received - August 17, 2014 (dated August 13, 2014)
SR Placed Online - February 14, 2015
EAD/AP Renewal Sent - March 20, 2015
EAD/AP Renewal Received - March 25, 2015
I-485 Approved - March 28, 2015 (e-mail notification)
SR Response Rec'd - March 28, 2015 (dated March 24, 2015)
Card Production Notice - March 31, 2015

Card Mailed - April 7, 2015

Card Rec'd - April 9, 2015

I worked in retail which was what I did in Canada.  

Then I moved into working front desk as a gym.

Now I work at a vet clinic which Ive always wanted to do. 

Edited by NikLR
Tiny phone keyboards are the devil

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

My wife started applying for jobs as soon as she received her EAD. It took her about a month to find a job. She applied to dozens (a mix of retail and entry level office jobs), and contacted several temp agencies. Her worst day job searching was getting rejected by Target for a cashier position. Eventually got a temp job through one of the temp agencies. It was actually working on a US Navy base documenting old blueprints of naval ships (IOW data entry). How she was able to do that work as a non-citizen is beyond me.

Anyway, her first assignment offered her a permanent position after a few weeks, but yours truly had to make her life difficult, and took a job across the country, so she had to job search again. Took her a month again to find another temp job. She had a few temp jobs before finding a full time job through good ol' Craigslist. All were doing some type of office work (data entry, then basic accounting).

In just over 2 years, she's had 8 jobs, kinda crazy. 5 of them were temporary assignments though. 6 were through employment agencies, 2 were applying directly. Last month she finally found a job she's happy with. 

Tl;dr version: applying to hundreds of jobs and using employment agencies worked for my wife. 

Edited by usmsbow

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.