Diesira59

Marriage based Interview I-485 Checklist Question

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
8 hours ago, Diesira59 said:

Hey There just wanted to give an update,

We had our interview with a nice lady who she herself was an immigrant, and it was incredibly easy. She had us both take an oath and then asked some very rudimentary "legal" questions such as:
Ever been apart of a terrorist group

Ever been deported

Ever been a drug trafficker

Ever tortured someone 

etc

Then she asked how we met, looked through our package (Which she gave us a lot of compliments on stating we had WAAAAAAAAY too much and that it was refreshing to see someone take this meeting seriously) The only things she wanted extra was a copy of MY insurance card and both our debit cards but only the front. 

We talked a little bit about how applicants reactions give her more legitimacy for their case and how its intertwined with job satisfaction for her. 

Then we chit chatted about the current political climate a bit, the difference between California and East Coast interview styles regarding Race, and then done.  She got on the phone, called someone for a form, then looked at us and said "Oh by the way, if you didnt guess from the call, youre approved for conditional green card." 

She came off like someone I would hang out with in general. And my husband, who is shy with strangers, warmed up to her very quickly. 

And now for a the year and 9 month vacation before we apply to remove the conditional! :)

CONGRATS!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 11/8/2017 at 1:28 PM, Diesira59 said:

Hello Everyone!

We got our interview set (after a serious scare in September) for the day before thanksgiving. I wanted to make a list of me and my husband's (the person adjusting) items we will be taking to the interview and was curious if it was enough as well as a question regarding 3 items.

1: Immigration Documents: 

• Passport
  • All USCIS Correspondence Including address changes and re-opening of our case documentation.
  •  i-94,
  • EAD 
  • social security card,
  • State Issued ID.

2: Marriage certificate

3: Bonafides:

• 5 Notarized letters from longtime friends,
  • Apartment lease with shared names,
  • Letter of Responsibility for Utilities with both our names 
  • Bank statement from Joint account with both our names
  • Insurance letter stating my husband is a beneficiary
  • 401K  letter stating my husband is the beneficiary if I die
  • List of benefits from work showing change to add my husband as a beneficiary 
  • Pictures of us on vacation(s) 

4: My passport

In regards to the letters, i have only one family member that was willing to do a letter do this being a gay relationship. My mother who lives in Mississippi (we live in CA) filled out a letter, signed it, and had two of her friends sign it as witnesses. She didn't feel comfortable taking it to notary in her area. Should i bother adding it/taking it with? 

In regards to pictures, all of our pictures are taken with phones. I intend to color print them, put a cover explaining the destination and time frames of each set. Do you think this will suffice?

Lastly, my husband's I-693 was obtained by the immigration officer when he entered to United States. The officer did not return it and we assumed it was provided to USCIS. When we applied for the adjustment of status it was still with in 1 year of issuance. We called USCIS customer service to find out if we needed a new one performed before the interview and were informed no, we didn't need to worry.  Anyone see any concerns we should have with this?

Thanks in advance! And thanks for being an awesome community too!

Hi there, how long did u wait for the interview to be set? & which state & county ur case was ? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
On 11/24/2017 at 6:07 PM, J/G said:

CONGRATS!!!!!!!

Thanks!

On 11/24/2017 at 6:57 PM, lollu said:

Hi there, how long did u wait for the interview to be set? & which state & county ur case was ? 

We're in California, my husband is from south Africa. 

We filed his I-485 originally back in February of this year, first interview was set for Sept 13th and was mailed at end of august. However due to a USPS error, we did not get it and had to get our local Congressional rep's offie to help  get it reopened. It was reopened on Oct 3rd and we received a new interview for November 22nd on November 3rd. 

Timeline
7 hours ago, Diesira59 said:

Thanks!

We're in California, my husband is from south Africa. 

We filed his I-485 originally back in February of this year, first interview was set for Sept 13th and was mailed at end of august. However due to a USPS error, we did not get it and had to get our local Congressional rep's offie to help  get it reopened. It was reopened on Oct 3rd and we received a new interview for November 22nd on November 3rd. 

Congrats !! 

Which county ur case was ? 

Mine is in Sacramento ? & I filed on June 2, 2017. Waiting for interviews to set up ?

Thsnks 

Timeline
1 hour ago, lollu said:

Congrats !! 

Which county ur case was ? 

Mine is in Sacramento ? & I filed on June 2, 2017. Waiting for interviews to set up ?

Thsnks 

Oops! I misread it as country. I'm in Santa Barbara county and our office is in Chatsworth. (North Los Angeles) 

If it's the same time frame as ours, it should be about 6+ months. So maybe around December or January? We got the biometrics with in a month and a half. Did you get that already?

Timeline
5 hours ago, Diesira59 said:

Oops! I misread it as country. I'm in Santa Barbara county and our office is in Chatsworth. (North Los Angeles) 

If it's the same time frame as ours, it should be about 6+ months. So maybe around December or January? We got the biometrics with in a month and a half. Did you get that already?

Yea, we got the biometrics done in 25 days . Status shows ur case is ready for interview . Waiting for interview date? 

Hope to get soon .

Timeline
5 hours ago, Diesira59 said:

Also, when did u get ur EAD . How long did it took ?

thabk you 

Timeline
13 hours ago, lollu said:

Yea, we got the biometrics done in 25 days . Status shows ur case is ready for interview . Waiting for interview date? 

Hope to get soon .

For MyCaseStatus, im not sure what to tell you on that one. Ours still shows as being rescheduled on Oct 4th even though we already had and passed the interview. 

Timeline
21 hours ago, Diesira59 said:

For MyCaseStatus, im not sure what to tell you on that one. Ours still shows as being rescheduled on Oct 4th even though we already had and passed the interview. 

Oh really 😳😳. So How did u find out ur new interview date & everything ? Does L2 immigration officer helps to update accurate or they also tell whatever shows online ? 

Timeline
1 hour ago, lollu said:

Oh really 😳😳. So How did u find out ur new interview date & everything ? Does L2 immigration officer helps to update accurate or they also tell whatever shows online ? 

We received a letter in the mail 19 days before the interview date.

I dont know for certain but i think the applicant should be able to get more information from calling USCIS Customer Service. My husband called a couple times and got more information than what was online but didnt get specifics as to WHEN he would get the interview date. 

Speaking of MyCaseStatus, it still shows the same info and we got 2 NOAs last night with the same information on it regarding approval of conditional green cards. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.