rooji

Mother-in-law is PR but want to apply for daughter back hom

83 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
2 hours ago, audacieux89 said:

When she gets a work visa in the said "safe"  country. My definition of a safe country is a first world country or a country that is not a developing country. More industrial and something similar. If she becomes a resident of that country and holds a work visa...she will then have "strong ties" and might give her a greater chance of getting a tourist visa (she applies for the tourist visa in the US consulate in that country...not Pakistan).

This is just a suggestion aside from getting a tourist visa from Pakistan and filing a petition for her. Just to give you possible options. :)

Yes.. better chance if she move to Dubai and apply a year to two later.. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
3 hours ago, rooji said:

Finding a spouse is harder these days since most of the people want the girl in the country first now.

If the wait can be over 7 years, is it possible that my SIL2 applies for tourist visa while her application is in process?

My MIL can't leave her daughter abroad for more than 3 months so she has to go back every 3 months now which is why the reentry process until something changes in my SIL2 life.

SIL2 can apply after MIL filing I-30. Since she already have 3 rejections it will be a miracle to get a visitor visa approval

You should look for alternatives for her future. 

1) Marrying to USC/LPR

2) Migrate to Europe/Middle East.. 

3) Marrying some one local. 

Edited by dnp2014

4 hours ago, rooji said:

Originally the plan was for my SIL2 to come to US to visit from time to time and when the time comes, which is when my MIL got her PR then she could apply for her daughter. the problem is that she didn't get visit visa plus MIL just got her PR but she is not in US for long enough to find a job or do anything because she has to keep going back to Pakistan. my MIL was looking for a spouse for her daughter but due to age and such, it is becoming harder. we all thought that within a year some spouse would be found but still nothing so now we are looking for alternative, which is for my MIL to go to Pakistan or apply for her daughter but the wait period seems to be 7 years and that makes it more complicated.

I hope you don't get offended by what I say but this was very poorly planned. Many foreigners think that once they are in the US they can immediately bring over numerous family members. Your SIL is a grown woman and can take care of herself. If safety is an issue then it goes back to having your mother migrate to the US while leaving her daughter behind was a bad plan. By your posts, it sounds like your SIL would have likely been living and/or working in the US had she gotten the visitor visa. This is exactly why it is so hard for it to be obtained.

If she was denied 3 times already she will almost definitely be denied again ESPECIALLY with most of her family now in the US!

4 hours ago, rooji said:

I hope that is not true because that would be so stupid.

Why do you think it would be stupid to remove the sibling category? The argument is that it would help immigration focus on other family members who need it more, like spouses and minor children. It takes 1 year for a US citizen to bring their spouse and/or child(ren) to the US. It takes a permanent resident 2 years to bring their spouse and/or children to the US. If getting rid of certain lower categories will help bring over spouses and children faster, you will find the majority would be in favor of it.

Your SIL can get married and have her own family. She can start a business, buy a house, or travel to another (safer) country. This is why the adult sibling category is treated with less urgency.

2 hours ago, dnp2014 said:

When this will happen ??  What will happen to the pending petitions 

There is a push for it but whose to say if it will actually happen. If it does then ongoing active petitions will not be affected.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

5 hours ago, audacieux89 said:

Try to apply for a tourist visa and see how it goes. It would better to have a tourist visa already in your passport before they apply to petition the daughter (so she can visit the US while the process is ongoing). I don't think they can get a tourist visa once the petition has already been submitted (because there is intent to immigrate).

You can get a tourist visa with a pending I-130. It's not easy, but there's nothing strictly prohibiting it. You're allowed to want to immigrate eventually....you are not allowed to have intent to immigrate in violation of the visa or immigration status that you are seeking.

I hope that is not true because that would be so stupid.

Debatable. What is the need for an adult to live in the same country as their parent/sibling? The assumption is that when somebody chooses to immigrate to another country, they are no longer planning to live with the rest of their family (hence why you can't bring everybody over at once). Chain migration is permitted, but by no means is it fast or cheap...which is more than many similar nations permit.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 hour ago, NuestraUnion said:

Why do you think it would be stupid to remove the sibling category? The argument is that it would help immigration focus on other family members who need it more, like spouses and minor children. It takes 1 year for a US citizen to bring their spouse and/or child(ren) to the US. It takes a permanent resident 2 years to bring their spouse and/or children to the US. If getting rid of certain lower categories will help bring over spouses and children faster, you will find the majority would be in favor of it.

That's one of the arguments. The other is that it will free up migrant space for skilled migrants, in  the vein of the programs Canada, Australia etc have. Anyone who has done the most basics of research into growth knows that a skilled population is one of the main factors driving long term growth prospects, and unfortunately the data on chain migration shows that it is majority low skilled. 

As for "stupid", there seems so often to be this sense of entitlement about immigration. If someone chooses to emigrate to the US, and the US is kind enough to let them in, this doesn't..shouldn't...mean it's "clever", or logical, for the country to allow everyone else in that person's family in. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If they eliminate a class of visas they may not process those in line.   I can bet that siblings and adult children will not be around in 10 years.  I  would be willing to bet it will be a lot sooner.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well they have been talking about CIR as along as I can remember and still nothing.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

My CIR bumper sticker is right next to my Gore/Lieberman bumper sticker. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

Apparently her Mother needs to visit her on a regular basis until she is married, married and the issue is resolved.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

17 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Are you saying that the only reason the MIL has a green card is to sponsor the daughter one day?

i don’t really understand why leaving her 3 months is some kind of maximum time, like why the difference if she’s alone for 1 or 3 or 5 months ...ok so i don’t understand the culture. But if it is such an issue for her on her own, maybe the daughter’s safety should be worth more than the mother’s green card?

You just took something out of proportions here. Let me go back and explain the whole situation. i have two SIL (1 and 2) SIL1 is in US and has 1 toddler and 1 infant. In our culture, rather than having a day care center, we have parents or family members look after our kids. my SIL1 is a US citizen and she sponsored her mother to be with her due to her kids situation. Basically she wants her mother to be with her during this time, especially after her difficult pregnancies. She asked her sister to visit the first time she was pregnant so she would have someone to help her take care when her first daughter was born. But since my SIL2 didn't have strong ties she didn't get her visa and going for a 4th time would not benefit so MIL got a green card through SIL1. Initially the idea was to find SIL2 a spouse (arranged marriage) here and in Pakistan but so far it is not happening so my MIL has to go back every 3 months (I don't know why it is 3 months but so far that is the pattern) mainly because of her daughter requesting her mother to come home. I merely asked for a suggestion about what would be the best path. The mother doesn't want to stay in Pakistan because there is nothing left for her there beside her one daughter. She has to go back to find a spouse for her last daughter. I know there is a re-entry process which may help because by that time my MIL might have found a spouse for her daughter.

no my MIL didn't get a green card to sponsor her daughter but rather she wants to live here. Green card would help bringing her daughter here but since the process is long, I am looking for an idea of if we do start the process, can my SIL2 also do visit visa? I mean is it a good idea to do that so she can visit back and forth from time to time?

17 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Yeah. No disrespect to the OP,  it’s a valid question about the best legal route, but this type of thread is perfect fodder for those opposing chain migration

I am not sure I understand you.

17 hours ago, Boiler said:

Really it is to MiL, which is more important, obviously we are talking about being half a world away, where does she want to live and work. I do not see how the current situation is sustainable, well unless SIL 2 gets married. 

She wants to live in US in the end since she has 2 kids here already but she has her youngest to worry about and if you are a mother you can't pick and choose so you have to think about all the kids' well being and safety. I am asking about what if marriage thing doesn't work out, then what?

Timeline

Ahh even more reason to forget the Visit Visa, child care is work, I have done it for Grandchildren! and she would have needed a work visa to do so.

Begs the question how she was going to do this when she has a job half a world away.

Comes back to the same issue, MIL needs to decide where she needs to be the most, she can not be in 2 places at the same time, her call nobody else can make that for her.

13 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

I hope you don't get offended by what I say but this was very poorly planned. Many foreigners think that once they are in the US they can immediately bring over numerous family members. Your SIL is a grown woman and can take care of herself. If safety is an issue then it goes back to having your mother migrate to the US while leaving her daughter behind was a bad plan. By your posts, it sounds like your SIL would have likely been living and/or working in the US had she gotten the visitor visa. This is exactly why it is so hard for it to be obtained.

If she was denied 3 times already she will almost definitely be denied again ESPECIALLY with most of her family now in the US!

Your SIL can get married and have her own family. She can start a business, buy a house, or travel to another (safer) country. This is why the adult sibling category is treated with less urgency.

There is a push for it but whose to say if it will actually happen. If it does then ongoing active petitions will not be affected.

13 hours ago, geowrian said:

You can get a tourist visa with a pending I-130. It's not easy, but there's nothing strictly prohibiting it. You're allowed to want to immigrate eventually....you are not allowed to have intent to immigrate in violation of the visa or immigration status that you are seeking.

Debatable. What is the need for an adult to live in the same country as their parent/sibling? The assumption is that when somebody chooses to immigrate to another country, they are no longer planning to live with the rest of their family (hence why you can't bring everybody over at once). Chain migration is permitted, but by no means is it fast or cheap...which is more than many similar nations permit.

11 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

That's one of the arguments. The other is that it will free up migrant space for skilled migrants, in  the vein of the programs Canada, Australia etc have. Anyone who has done the most basics of research into growth knows that a skilled population is one of the main factors driving long term growth prospects, and unfortunately the data on chain migration shows that it is majority low skilled. 

As for "stupid", there seems so often to be this sense of entitlement about immigration. If someone chooses to emigrate to the US, and the US is kind enough to let them in, this doesn't..shouldn't...mean it's "clever", or logical, for the country to allow everyone else in that person's family in. 

9 hours ago, Coco8 said:

How is marrying the solution? Can't she study something abroad and have her own life? 

I am going to reply to you all in one response.

Firstly: for all who thinks that migrating from Pakistan to an unknown country and that too getting a visa to that country (beside some few ones) is easy, it is not. especially the European countries, especially for study visa. believe me I have looked into study abroad for her so she further finishes her education but it is expensive that her mother, who is no longer working (who barely made $400/month) before she quit her job and moved to US, can afford. My husband is not established yet and we are starting our lives and we do not have saved enough. Studying in US alone (if you are not rich) is harder and my MIL is not rich and neither are we. since my SIL2 is way beyond her age and in Pakistan it is like a taboo to study beyond your age and no school or colleges accept you so the point of having a scholarship and study abroad is null.

Let's go back to what you all are thinking and suggesting, by no means our initial point is to bring my SIL2 here based on green card but rather have her settled by marriage mostly, however marriage option seems to be bleak at the moment. My SIL2 applied for her visit visa 3 years back to visit her sister who was pregnant at the time but she didn't get it. So no she didn't know at that time if my husband (her brother) or mother was going to be in US back then. my husband and I got married a year ago and even then we tried for her visa third time last year but still nothing. the first time she didn't have a solid job so of course it was not going to happen but by the second time she had a job and she has been working however what she makes is not nearly enough compared to here. so no we didn't get her to come to US on visit visa so she can stay. but now there is better way for her to get entry to US but it is longer. So unless she gets a proposal in another year (mind you this past year my MIL went back to Pakistan so she can get her daughter married but nothing) or so, we have to explore other options. I have been trying to find ways that will not be as expensive as study abroad and as bad as visit visa option. I just wanted to know if we can start the process and then apply for visit visa so that way my MIL can stay here and SIL2 don't have to worry about staying alone in Pakistan. She doesn't want to stay with extended family as she doesn't feel comfortable or safe and plus they don't want her. My mother in law just retired after she got her green card and she can't work in pakistan for few days and support herself and her daughter and leave job every 3 months so she just quit. I am hoping that my husband has a good enough job to support her and my SIL2 until she gets married. That is our main goal, to get my SIL2 settled be it here or in Pakistan.

As for the option of not immigrating siblings and older children category, honestly I think it is pointless because this country is made up of immigrants and to eliminate those categories is harmful to many people especially those who are in a domestic violence situation like one of my eldest SIL is at the moment. recently her husband held a gun to her face in Pakistan but since she has 2 girls and she is married it is harder for my MIL to get her here or to keep her safe so she has to leave her there. It is a complicated situation and I do not expect you all to know about it.

At the end of the day: our main priority is for my SIL2 to get married at the moment however if that is not going to happen, my MIL needs to find another solution beside going back and forth. Mind you, we do not have our own house in pakistan and the rent is similar to my MIL's monthly salary so right now my husband and his sister here support them. my MIL do not want to waste money by traveling again and again and she is not getting any younger but she has to find a solution.

14 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Ahh even more reason to forget the Visit Visa, child care is work, I have done it for Grandchildren! and she would have needed a work visa to do so.

Begs the question how she was going to do this when she has a job half a world away.

Comes back to the same issue, MIL needs to decide where she needs to be the most, she can not be in 2 places at the same time, her call nobody else can make that for her.

I know which is why I asked if we can do the whole process, like start it and then my MIL stay in US while my SIL2 applies for visit visa to visit my MIL time to time rather than my MIL going back and forth or my MIL gets re-entry permission to stay and find a spouse for her daughter, which I am hoping we will get if my MIL stay in Pakistan.

I know there is also visa for elderly care but I honestly do not think that is best in this situation.

Timeline

SIL2 can apply for a visit visa as often as she likes before or after her Mother files for her.

Seems extraordinarily unlikely she will get one for the very reasons you mentioned.

There is no visa for elderly care.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.