Joey C.

Widow of American Citizen applying for Visa

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Auds said:

OP says she has medcare.

Missed that, in Canada?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How can you buy into Medicare if you live in Canada and presumably have done so for a very long time, and why?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Timeline
20 minutes ago, Boiler said:

How can you buy into Medicare if you live in Canada and presumably have done so for a very long time, and why?

She should be having Medicare premium deducted from her SS check. Since she is receiving SS on work records and not buyins for non-worker; she would have been covered if she signed up.

I cannot imagine her being allowed to receive 2 SS checks without being discovered.  If this is true,  SS should be going for recovery of the overpayments once discovered.  This abuse of the system is unconscionable.

If she worked under SS for 30 years, she must have been a LPR at one time.  When did she leave the US?

It is obvious that she needs financial advice; enlist an elder law attorney in the US to untangle the mess.

Edited by CEE53147

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

If she lived in the USA for 30 years....did she not become a permenant resident after 10 years....and I guess she didnt apply for citizenship.  Did she have a green card here?

Joyce

2/10/04 - interview date!!!!!!!Got Visa!!!!

3/11/04 - Massimo arrived in USA...Hurray!!!

4/25/04 - Happily Married in New Jersey

5/12/04 - starting AOS papers

5/17/04 - Mailed I-485, 131, (certified mail) to Newark

7/12/04 - Biometrics for AOS done in NYC

2/1/05 - received interview letter for May 16, 2005

5/16/05 - Successful (and fast) AOS interview in Cherry Hill!!!

I751

3/1/07 - mailed I751 package to VSC - regular mail

3/7/07 - cashed 205.00 check

3/9/07 - cashed 70.00 biometrics check

3/16/07 - received blue receipt notice for biometrics fee

3/24/07 - received NOA extending GC for another year

3/24/07 - received Biometrics appointment letter

4/6/07 - Biometrics appointment in Newark at 9am

4/7/07 - touched

4/11/07 - touched

9/28/07 - email received...Card production ordered!

10/4/07 - received congratulations letter in the mail

10/09/07 - 10 year green card received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I know everyone here wants everyone to follow rules but please be careful about calling these people liars and frauds. All it does is make them not come back, which not only hurts them but hurts the rest of us who might benefit from their input and experience. It's more sad when the accusation is not true. There are times a widow/er receives both their own benefit plus a partial widow/er benefits. I work in a job that assists people in applying for certain federal benefits and we do on occasion see a widow with a letter from social security that specifically states that they will continue to receive their own plus an addition amount for a widow benefit. This is taken directly from the social security administration:

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3754/What-is-the-eligibility-for-Social-Security-spouse-s-benefits-and-my-own-retirement-benefits

If you do have enough credits to qualify for your own Social Security benefits and you apply for your own retirement benefits and for benefits as a spouse, we always pay your own benefits first. If your benefits as a spouse are higher than your own retirement benefits, you will get a combination of benefits equaling the higher spouse benefit.

A widow who is aged 62 or older or disabled may be eligible for a retired-worker or disabled-worker benefit from Social Security that is based on his or her own work in Social Security–covered employment. This will often lead to dual entitlement (that is, the widow is entitled to both a worker benefit and a widow benefit). In dual entitlement cases, the widow receives the worker benefit plus a partial widow benefit. The total benefit, however, is often equal to or approximately equal to the full widow benefit. 

Filed: Timeline
On 11/7/2017 at 7:55 PM, Joey C. said:

She applied the same year she became a widow, while reading through many many government websites we have read the information about a widow or widower being allowed to come to the US for at least 10 years.

Perhaps what you read was that she would qualify for a 10-year green card.....but, she's okay regardless, since she applied within the first year of becoming a widow.

4 hours ago, tsabbas said:

I know everyone here wants everyone to follow rules but please be careful about calling these people liars and frauds. All it does is make them not come back, which not only hurts them but hurts the rest of us who might benefit from their input and experience. It's more sad when the accusation is not true. There are times a widow/er receives both their own benefit plus a partial widow/er benefits. I work in a job that assists people in applying for certain federal benefits and we do on occasion see a widow with a letter from social security that specifically states that they will continue to receive their own plus an addition amount for a widow benefit. This is taken directly from the social security administration:

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3754/What-is-the-eligibility-for-Social-Security-spouse-s-benefits-and-my-own-retirement-benefits

If you do have enough credits to qualify for your own Social Security benefits and you apply for your own retirement benefits and for benefits as a spouse, we always pay your own benefits first. If your benefits as a spouse are higher than your own retirement benefits, you will get a combination of benefits equaling the higher spouse benefit.

A widow who is aged 62 or older or disabled may be eligible for a retired-worker or disabled-worker benefit from Social Security that is based on his or her own work in Social Security–covered employment. This will often lead to dual entitlement (that is, the widow is entitled to both a worker benefit and a widow benefit). In dual entitlement cases, the widow receives the worker benefit plus a partial widow benefit. The total benefit, however, is often equal to or approximately equal to the full widow benefit. 

Key phrase is "combination of benefits...".  What people are trying to say is that she should be receiving only one check that combines her own benefit and what she qualifies for from her husband's.  If she is getting two physical checks or two separate deposits if direct deposited, there is something wrong.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
19 hours ago, jan22 said:

Key phrase is "combination of benefits...".  What people are trying to say is that she should be receiving only one check that combines her own benefit and what she qualifies for from her husband's.  If she is getting two physical checks or two separate deposits if direct deposited, there is something wrong.

I realize most people do think this but, again, it's not always true. If a widow is receiving dual entitlement (her own plus a widow benefit) then they are being paid out of two different social security accounts, herself and her deceased husband's, so therefore separate payments are issued. Here is the Program Manual from SSA that describes this (paragraph C 2):

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0900601120

I know it's not common but the OP clarified in her 2nd post that the women was receiving her own and a widow's benefit and yet some the subsequent posts accusing her of fraud were mean. Now, the OP hasn't been back. I just think people should research better before being so accusatory. It's one thing to question someone for clarification but to just accuse is not okay. I saw a chance to correct some misinformation and I tried to use the opportunity. 

2 hours ago, tsabbas said:

I realize most people do think this but, again, it's not always true. If a widow is receiving dual entitlement (her own plus a widow benefit) then they are being paid out of two different social security accounts, herself and her deceased husband's, so therefore separate payments are issued. Here is the Program Manual from SSA that describes this (paragraph C 2):

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0900601120

I know it's not common but the OP clarified in her 2nd post that the women was receiving her own and a widow's benefit and yet some the subsequent posts accusing her of fraud were mean. Now, the OP hasn't been back. I just think people should research better before being so accusatory. It's one thing to question someone for clarification but to just accuse is not okay. I saw a chance to correct some misinformation and I tried to use the opportunity. 

But once she started drawing her own benefit, she no longer qualified for a widow's benefit.  She would only qualify to draw from her husband's benefit to top off her own up to what was his full benefit amount (assuming his benefit was more than hers).  Th I should wou look down come in one check. 

But, bottom libe, there was not enough information provided to assume that somebody is committing fraud. And, you're exactly right -- nobody should be driven away from the forum for seeking information.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.