shakeyy

Canada Drivers License switch to US?

33 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, NikLR said:

Most states require some form of a) legal presence (generally EAD or GC) and b) residency.

Not all states keep your old license either (I have my AB license... it's not even voided.) 

that is why i said he should validated the information in his state and After 9/11 most of the states require documents of legal presence to do the ssn and all licenses you want to apply

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
10 hours ago, NikLR said:

Most states require some form of a) legal presence (generally EAD or GC) and b) residency.

Not all states keep your old license either (I have my AB license... it's not even voided.) 

Wow you were able to keep your AB license. I hope they also give mine back even if they punch on it. Just for "Sentimental" purposes Haha. :) I hate to give it up. 

20 hours ago, inloveVEN said:

In most of the states, Canadian licenses are totally transferred, so you only need to go to the nearest office and do all the paperwork, they will keep your Canadian license so if you needed to use it in Canada you can go back to the office and switch it again.  You will need your Social Security card to do all this. your License will be also your state ID. When you become a resident you have 30 days  to change your license.  You should validate this information in your state

Thakns so much!!! I'd have to wait for my EAD yet. I was mainly concerned too about "legality" if i can still be on the road. 

Thanks for your response guys! 

10/26/2017: Priority Date - AOS

11/29/2017: Biometrics Appointment

12/21/2017: EAD/AP Approval in 56 Days

12/18/2018: Interview Day | Approved on the Spot

12/22/2018: Received Green Card (10 Years)

N-400 Application (Orlando)

09/20/2021 - Early Filing Online (3 year -married to US Citizen)

09/20/2021 - Received NOA & status changed to "Case being actively reviewed" & Biometric Reuse

03/31/2022 - Interview in West Palm Beach Fl

- Recommended for Approval & Oath Ceremony will be scheduled notice (My application includes request for name change)

06/16/2022 - Judicial Naturalization Ceremony 

• 3 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 11/7/2017 at 4:44 PM, shakeyy said:

I have a non GDL Drivers License issued by Alberta. I still use this license to drive and was able to add myself on my husbands insurance

I just received my NOA letters from the mail today, Is there such a rule that I have to switch out my Canadian license to US ASAP?

Is road test needed again?

I'm in Florida

Thank you

------------------------------

UPDATE ON THIS FOR FUTURE REFERENCE TO FELLOW CANADIANS MOVING TO FLORIDA

-- I got my ALBERTA Class 5 Drivers License exchanged to Florida Class E Drivers license today.  It is only valid for  1 year pending Green Card application. Once green card is approved, I have to go back to DMV again to switch out to a Permanent Drivers License and they give 8 years validity.

The process was straightforward: You just visit your county's DMV and trade in your License .

Bring the ff:

1. Valid Canadian Passport / Birth Certificate

2. Social Security Card

3. 2 Proof of Address ( I used USCIS NOA's and Bank Statement)

4. EAD Card

Hope this helps!

Edited by shakeyy

10/26/2017: Priority Date - AOS

11/29/2017: Biometrics Appointment

12/21/2017: EAD/AP Approval in 56 Days

12/18/2018: Interview Day | Approved on the Spot

12/22/2018: Received Green Card (10 Years)

N-400 Application (Orlando)

09/20/2021 - Early Filing Online (3 year -married to US Citizen)

09/20/2021 - Received NOA & status changed to "Case being actively reviewed" & Biometric Reuse

03/31/2022 - Interview in West Palm Beach Fl

- Recommended for Approval & Oath Ceremony will be scheduled notice (My application includes request for name change)

06/16/2022 - Judicial Naturalization Ceremony 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.